Possible Dingo Cross

Joel

:laugh: Yes Alice on my 'to steal and keep' list ;) I'd have to say she is one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen.

Well if you do ever steal Alice, don't forget you need a very large supply of wooden spoons & kitchen sponges! :p

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another tip about picking a dingo is watching their ankle movements. If the girl can swivel her legs in her ankles @ 180 degrees, then yes that's a dingo or cross for certain as dogs can't do that. Alice does it & it's just amazing to see.

OMG, how fascinating. Video please.

Oh I'd love to video it, but she just does it whenever. So unless I've got the compact camera out, which is very rare to top it off, it's kind of mission impossible with my Alice... :D

What a cutie and good on your family for rescuing her. :D

She may have a touch of Dingo in her but could just as easily be an ACD x Kelpie.....so that is what you should have her breed listed as on the microchip info.

One hint to part Dingo is if there is a white tip on the end of the tail.

She does indeed have a white tipped tail. I was supposed to type it in when I wrote about her tail but accidently skipped it, lol!

Thanks Joel. Yeah Alice is a cutie alrighty. Just ask Ravyk :p

Another tip about picking a dingo is watching their ankle movements. If the girl can swivel her legs in her ankles @ 180 degrees, then yes that's a dingo or cross for certain as dogs can't do that. Alice does it & it's just amazing to see.

Wow that sounds both amazing and bizarre! I haven't noticed her do anything resembling that yet (but that said she's not living with me yet and I haven't gotten to spend a lot of time with her yet as shes still at my aunts). HOPEFULLY, ill be going over there tonight and I'll try and take some more (better) photos ;)

• 3 weeks later...

That skuling type of behaviour maybe teh working dog 'eye' that she is showing. I also think she is Kelpie x ACd and I have fostered and rehomed many "red' Kelpies to be asked if they are dingo and people wanting them believing they are. They do have a similar look but put them together there is remarkable differences.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joel,

she's got a lot of dingo in her, amazed you could get her out of QLD alive.

Look at Dingo Care website - dingo.org.au for requirements to keep dingo/ dingo cross in Vic.

Enclosures are a must for their own protection - read - forum posting - Help my dingoes escaping - to confirm this.

Sorry SA is like Qld, it's illegal to keep dingo /dingo cross - kelpies and Qld heelers are excepted but your girl looks very dingo.

Best of luck she looks a sweetie.

• 2 months later...

My cuz has a pure dingo he got sent from the NT, absolutly beautiful nature, will try and get a pic on sunday if he bings him over.

editing he looks a lot smaller and slimmer than the wild ones around here.

Edited by GeckoTree

Looks like a dingo to me. Does she bark? I understand dingos dont bark at all - more a 'yipping' noise thats very different to a bark. And certainly that is the noise Iv heard coming out of the few pure dingos Iv met. If shes a kelpie x cattle she should have a big strong bark.

Here in SA it is illegal to own a Dingo or Dingo x. I had a bloke ring me last year asking if I could take his on as he'd moved down from the country, hadn't had any problems with the dog in the city but someone had seen it & reported it. I couldn't help out at the time :confused: but gave him some other contacts, hopefully he found someone!

Anyway a friend of mine has a dog that looks nearly identical to your girl, she is kelpie x cattle dog with probably another 1 or 2 other breeds mixed in, a stunning looking dog but definetely not dingo. I think you should be fine :laugh:

Also she is probably walking that way because she is timid/scared (as others have said), from what you describe she obviously hasn't had the best start to life. I have a kelpie x girl in at the moment who is quite timid (didn't have a good start to life) & walks similar to as you described.

There is a Dingo centre in Vicotria run by Lyn Watson and her partner. The Web address I have for it is www.dingodiscovery.net, but I'm not sure how up to date this is. However if you googled dingodiscovery I'm sure you'a find it and they'd be able to help you.

Pam

I think the thing that makes me think she has dingo in her is her general appearance, but notably the bushy tail and the way she slinks around everywhere. The way she walks and runs is very... i dont know a word to describe it... sneaky... or elusive.

She was microchipped at the same time as she was de-sexed. I don’t know under what breed. I think there were a few D-words dropped while she was at the vet, which made us even more convinced.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t going to get into a situation where someone could report us and then have the authorities try and take her away (im about as likely to give up a dog that i take in to my family as i am to give up one of my legs, so that could cause some problems).

Thanks for all your help so far :o

nup she looks a pretty typical cattle x kelpie, theres tons of em round mendooran way

your also describing pretty typical abused kelpie behavour too.

ive had neighbours with known dingo x's and she doesnt look like them.

Edited by asal

What a cutie and good on your family for rescuing her. :o

She may have a touch of Dingo in her but could just as easily be an ACD x Kelpie.....so that is what you should have her breed listed as on the microchip info.

One hint to part Dingo is if there is a white tip on the end of the tail.

She does indeed have a white tipped tail. I was supposed to type it in when I wrote about her tail but accidently skipped it, lol!

Thanks Joel. Yeah Alice is a cutie alrighty. Just ask Ravyk :thumbsup:

Wow that sounds both amazing and bizarre! I haven't noticed her do anything resembling that yet (but that said she's not living with me yet and I haven't gotten to spend a lot of time with her yet as shes still at my aunts). HOPEFULLY, ill be going over there tonight and I'll try and take some more (better) photos :thumbsup:

sorry but ACD also have white tipped tails, some of even pure white to the butt even if its a no no.

you should see my phil. hes an australian champion and was warned many judges will comment he has too much white in his tail n hes blue!

so no chance of him being mistaken for a dingo

Edited by asal

• 2 months later...
Australia's native dog is also covered by BSL (great one R$PCA). We should be trying to liberate them as well as Greyhounds etc

What do dingos have to do with BSL and how is it the fault of the RSPCA?

Australia's native dog is also covered by BSL (great one R$PCA). We should be trying to liberate them as well as Greyhounds etc

Some states have the dingo on the BSL list. In Victoria you need huge fences, whilst they're banned outright in South Australia IIRC.

Not sure what the reference to the RSPCA is about... :love:

Some states have the dingo on the BSL list. In Victoria you need huge fences, whilst they're banned outright in South Australia IIRC.

Not sure what the reference to the RSPCA is about... :rofl:

BSL - or the declared pest list?

In Qld dingos have been declared as pests along with other species such as rabbits, feral cats, feral dogs, feral pigs. This has got nothing to do with breed specific legislation - it comes under the Land Protection Act and is more to do with protecting primary industries, farmers, graziers and the like. I guess the trickle effect means that you can't own an animal that is a declared pest - hence ownership of dingoes being prohibited, just like you can't have a rabbit or a ferret in Qld.

Not sure what the reference to the RSPCA is about... :rofl:

BSL - or the declared pest list?

In Qld dingos have been declared as pests along with other species such as rabbits, feral cats, feral dogs, feral pigs. This has got nothing to do with breed specific legislation - it comes under the Land Protection Act and is more to do with protecting primary industries, farmers, graziers and the like. I guess the trickle effect means that you can't own an animal that is a declared pest - hence ownership of dingoes being prohibited, just like you can't have a rabbit or a ferret in Qld.

Well whatever it is, I know that in Victoria, if you want one, there are strict requirements such as a special high fence, whilst in SA I guess they're treated like in QLD. I don't know the situation in WA. Meanwhile in NSW there are no restrictions.