So Confused

larns

Bommy,

In a previous BARF post (sorry don't have time to find it) we were advised that Avocado was toxic to dogs and were given a very good link explaining why :hug: . If you get a second, try and find and read. I have now stopped giving my guys avocado. :)

Bommy,

I found the post from LEENIE and have copied it. Here is what LEENI posted about avocado:

Regarding the avocado issue - I know of someone that gave her bird (think it was a cockatiel) avocado and it died a few hours later of toxicity poisoning. The vet said it was the avocado. So there must be some truth in the theory that it isn't good for dogs and cats either - though I imagine being a bird it just hit him a lot faster. Will be an interesting issue to research further - I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me with this BARF project.

Later - yep they are toxic to doggies and other animals:

http://kgkat.tripod.com/avocado.html

http://petplace.netscape.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=4773

Department of Clinical Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.

Two dogs were seen at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya, both having histories of dyspnoea, progressively enlarging abdomens, anasarca, ascites, pleural and pericardial effusion, and pulmonary oedema. One of the dogs had a mild neutrophilic leucocytosis, elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase, lactate dehydrogenase and proteinuria. Histopathological examination of the myocardium revealed some damage to myocytes and a mononuclear cellular infiltration involving the myocardium, liver and kidneys. The two dogs had a fondness for avocado fruits and, as the presenting syndrome is identical to that seen in goats, sheep and horses poisoned by avocados, a comparison is made and the probable manifestation of this poisoning presented.

This post has been edited by Leenie on 17th Nov 2004 - 01:21 PM

Hi larns,

My puppy is fed all raw food, bones in morning, and raw mince mixed with vegies for his main meal in arvo.

to this we sometimes add sardines, yoghurt, egg, garlic, each of these once a week on different days. (he loves sardines day!)

You can buy pet mince at the btuchers for much cheaper than mince for human consumption .

My other feeding question is, should I be putting more beef raw meat in as well? So that she doesn't become anaemic?

Could someone answer this one for me too? Harvey's diet os basiclly chicken and i tend to steer clear of beef, he does get lamb though.

Larns; sorry i dont have the ability to post pic's at the moment :) but i can tell you that your pup is a spitting image of my pup(same shape, colour, partial black mask ,white blaze, ect. Only thing different mine dosnt have white chin :laugh: ) my pup is just on 10mts and stands just over kneehight atm, she is ridgeback/apbt(amstaff) X weight is 29.5 kg atm;i have pure rodesian ridgeback also she stands just under my hip, weight 37kg ; i also have pure apbt ,stands mid thigh,weight 40 kg...as soon as ime able to post pic's,Woo Hoo look out, forum will be flooded. :hug:

Sirmonsta,

How much did yours weigh at 12 weeks? Roxy has just weighed in at 7 Kg, if she was a ridgeback cross, would she weigh more by now? I don't know if 7kg is alot to weigh at 12 weeks, or if it is about the size of a medium dog.

Her legs are so fine, that I thought she might be a bigger sized dog, just not really sure what, it would be great if we could get those piccies.

Thanks

Also, if you go into the photo display, there is also a picture of her in there taken recently

Edited by larns

Midniara, thank you I remember Steve (i think mentioned that once before) I had asked my Vets & they advised in small amts it shouldnt hury them as long as it wasnt in bulk which is why I have kept 1 small avocad a week in their food but those links have my changed my mind, I have printed them out to take & show the vets tomorrow as well.

My dogs love avos, they get a little in their salad.

Talking of poos and barf, I ran out of food the other day, I was late home.

And I have some dry food on hand I useas treats sometimes, so I gave my boys some for tea.

God next day my yard has stinky poos in it.Their normal barf poos are white ina day and gone pretty fast and they dont smell. Never will I feed my dogs dry food again.

it was the first time Gilly had ever had dry food as a meal, and he is nearly 3.

My vet said he had never heard of barf, offered to lend him a book.

Was not interested in 'fad' diets.

hah

GB

Gillybob,

I had the opposite response from my vet, he now feeds his own animals BARF!

Midniara, I showed my vet those pages this morning (we had a early visit with Molly) they said to decide what I wanted to do but they had gotten the impression that it is more form the tree itself the skin & the pits that the toxicity arrises & not the flesh & that in small amts it wont hurt them..this is sooooo confusing, so I rang my breeder and she has fed avo's to her babies moderately for the last 25 years! Now she said FLESH only though as the rest of the avocado will kill the dog.

The pets place site advises the following :'Avocados. The leaves, fruit, bark and seeds of avocados have all been reported to be toxic. The toxic component in the avocado is "persin," which is a fatty acid derivative. Symptoms of toxicity include difficulty breathing, abdominal enlargement, abnormal fluid accumulations in the chest, abdomen and sac around the heart. The amount that needs to be ingested to cause signs is unknown. Do not feed your pet any component of the avocado. "

So i think ill stop it now just to be safe...shame they love it soooo much.

Another terrific feeding day has begun.

Roxy has once again wolfed down her food at great speeds and is actually enjoying it. The yoghurt and apple cider vinegar are great addiditives, and will probably help as this morning she had a whole heap of potting mix for desert, I should know not to trust her when she is quite! :worship:

Her poo is formed and seems to smell less, and she is so active right now. My OH and I have been looking through the info I have got from the net, and definately decided on BARF as a way to go.

Thanks again

Guest em si hsoJ

major dog food manufactures are the ones who give vets the little education they get about how a dogs diet should be. They get a very biest opinion about feeding your dog anything but dry dog food. bleck most dog foods are FULL of grains (dogs stomachs arent made to digest grains) and nasty bits of meat that would never pass human health standards, plus tons of perservatives and things that just arent good for dogs. I say buy a high quality dry dog food and let that make up a percentage of there diet. The rest of what they eat should be chicken, yogurt, veggies, ect.....Dont let what the vet said bother you!

oh and they have some really good little treats for training your dog! or they do at the place I go anyway, their these little dog food sized treats that are made up of egg and cheese, my dog loves em!

lol one more thing...a really great dry dog food is Inova. No perservatives and when you read the ingredients it sounds pretty tasty :)