Dog Tracking .. Perth

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

I'm looking to start something new with my Belgian and thought we would give tracking a shot. I have been suggested Tracking Dog, by Glen Johnson but was wondering how to go about starting it in Perth?

There is the Tracking Club of Rockingham but from what I can work out from their website, it's more of training dogs to find lost humans. I just want to do it as some fun and stimulation for Ivy.

Thanks.

I thought about trying this a while ago but getting to Gidgegannup for 8am on a Saturday morning would kill me!

Me too, but it ain't gonna happen! :):)

Gidgegannup :D I thought it is in Gnangara / Lexia out near Whiteman Park :D :)

I wouldn't mind having a go at this....if any other Perthies who are new to tracking want to get together & join up at the same time I would be keen to do that!

Looks like they start in May??? I should have my sh*t together by then :D :D

In the meantime I have the Johnson book for a little light reading / theory over the summer uni break.

Checked out the photos on the TrackWest site - love all the different breeds :rofl:

I thought about trying this a while ago but getting to Gidgegannup for 8am on a Saturday morning would kill me!

Me too, but it ain't gonna happen! :rofl::rofl:

Gidgegannup :eek: I thought it is in Gnangara / Lexia out near Whiteman Park :thanks::eek:

That's weird, I'm sure when I looked a while ago they met in Gidge - we're moving to the hills when our house is finished so Gnangara's even worse

Tracking is wonderful fun for the dogs, and the feel is great. But the set-up of tracks is very time consuming, especially when you get past the beginner stage and tracks need to be laid several hours in advance. The need for the track layer to be at the end of the track when the search begins further adds to the time required. The way scent behaves makes some hours better than others. Early morning is often the preferred time cause tracks can be set the evening before and they're still pretty strong the next morning. If you want to do tracking, be prepared to do early morning work . . . and, in time, to help set up tracks for others.

Edited by sandgrubber

I'm keen to try it as well, but the 8am start on a Sat morning is going to be a KILLER!! Perhaps I should just get over it and give it a go, if other newbies start at the same time then I might have some motivation :confused:

I am keen to start next year when Mason is a bit older, will be cool if a few of us all start together.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking up the website for WA tracking and look where it bought me!

Would love to join with you guys too.

You going to get both dogs involved RS? I'm thinking if Kira gets the agility I should give Izzy this, especially since OH is taking too long to get his ...stuff together and organise the sledding with her :mad

Hi, The Tracking Club of Rockinham is part of the SES so yes they go and find lost people.

Trackwest starts back about the 2nd week of April and finish at the end of September. They have a couple of trainers who take the begineers so dont worry about being new.

One of the best things I have ever done with my dogs, we love it.

I'm keen to try it as well, but the 8am start on a Sat morning is going to be a KILLER!! Perhaps I should just get over it and give it a go, if other newbies start at the same time then I might have some motivation :rofl:

If you are interested in giving it a go next tracking season we could always go together and share the cost of the petrol. Can't say I like the early mornings but as its a seasonal dog activity I think I would survive it. Like you I would prefer to have other beginers to start with.

The early morning start shouldn't worry me too much - I don't remember the last time I slept in past 6:30am since we got a certain little GSDx :)

What sort of equipment is needed and what level of obedience (so that I have six months to get up to scratch :thumbsup: )???