Bloodhound

Troy

post-7731-1257661722_thumb.jpg

are there any breeders who work their dogs in trailing tracking in a hunt constantly... i wouldnt mind getting one later in 2 or 3 years. would like one from working parents, because i think if they arent worked generation after generation then they might lose that great nose.

I work mine man trailing.Will be working with my local SES unit next year when Dyson is trained up.The sire of Dyson was working up to 5 day trails with known victims up to 2 kms urban/bush,and 72 hr trails unknown.

Hopefully one of these boys from Leilas litter will also be a trailer.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Baylord
are there any breeders who work their dogs in trailing tracking in a hunt constantly... i wouldnt mind getting one later in 2 or 3 years. would like one from working parents, because i think if they arent worked generation after generation then they might lose that great nose.

Shocking, - Bloodhounds don’t loose that nose at all even if they aren’t worked, though within litters you will have some individuals that are more adept at trailing than others, only because they are more willing to work for you rather than themselves.

The breed has been in existence we believe possibly before that of the 8th century, not all of them would have worked during that time, and yet the breed is recognized and utilized to this day, especially in the USA, where in a court of law their testimony is taken as evidence.

It is a natural instinct for them, it is us humans who are the ones who have to learn how to read their hound, and most importantly learn to trust their hound completely.

We had one hound who had not been worked for a number of years, but the one time he was put on trail to locate a seriously depressed guy, he successfully did a 5k trail in the middle of suburbia, following the guy’s car that he had driven.

And yes, a properly trained bloodhound is able to trail a car as the scent rafts of the person is coming out of the vents and windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These dogs are amazing!

I have always admired them, I met a couple at the per industry expo in Sydney and I was in love :laugh:

It is such a pitty the emergency services are blind to their talents - they are missing out!

Are there any in NSW I can see out and about? I see the gorgeous Demon lives here, is he often at shows?

Hi Golden girl,

Demon has been desexed now as there just arent any girls he could go to,and he was hard to handle at shows with in season bitches around.He has moved up near me(well,hour and a half away!) so i will get to visit in the holidays.

If you are ever in Young,call around and see me/dogs.

Dyson starts proper ES training in Feb, and Edward and Bella will follow after they are shown for a while.

ahhh yes I imagine boys would be very hard to destract from a nice smelling girl with their noses!

They are fantastic dogs, hopefully I can will find myself in Young so I can visit one day!

It is such a pitty that their aren't more Bloodhounds around, although I guess they aren't a dog that everyone could care for correctly so it might be good that they aren't so common.

What do you do with your dogs excercise wise on a daily basis? (I guess thay are working a lot of the time so lots of manual stimulation too...)

How do they go in pet homes? (as in what is required physically and mentally...much more than a Goldie?)

I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions... i'm a bit in love :mad

ahhh yes I imagine boys would be very hard to destract from a nice smelling girl with their noses!

They are fantastic dogs, hopefully I can will find myself in Young so I can visit one day!

It is such a pitty that their aren't more Bloodhounds around, although I guess they aren't a dog that everyone could care for correctly so it might be good that they aren't so common.

What do you do with your dogs excercise wise on a daily basis? (I guess thay are working a lot of the time so lots of manual stimulation too...)

How do they go in pet homes? (as in what is required physically and mentally...much more than a Goldie?)

I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions... i'm a bit in love ;)

Most of the bigger dogs go for a daily walk,some like longer distances,chance for a good sniff at everything,others like Leila who is fairly lazy,are content with a 20 min walk ! Her mum used to do 5 + kms a night and would still be ready for more.

I havent found too many that are problematic with being kept amused-the main thing is being able to be close to their owner,right at the back door/on the verhanda is the best spot for them.They can become a pain and develop destructive behaviours like any dog,if they miss out on interaction with people/dogs etc.

Oh I really thought you were going to say they need massive, massive amounts! I guess it is like any breed, they vary from individual to individual.

I love my dogs to be with me all the time, I am at home with our son and any work plans for the future will be from home, I love having my doggies with me. I love Beau to bits, he is amazing but I have always liked dogs that are a little more aloof with strangers.

hmmmm very interesting :D

Thanks for answering all my questions centitout - have a merry christmas!

These dogs are amazing!

I have always admired them, I met a couple at the per industry expo in Sydney and I was in love :D

It is such a pitty the emergency services are blind to their talents - they are missing out!

Are there any in NSW I can see out and about? I see the gorgeous Demon lives here, is he often at shows?

Hi Golden Girl

Myself and two other collegues had 5 bloodhounds at the pet Expo at Rosehill racecourse last year...was that the expo you were talking about?

There are a number of bloodhounds living in Sydney and surrounding areas & a few of us get together & do some mantrailing with them as often as we possibly can (not quite so much in the warmer months though). If you are interested in coming along to one of our training days just PM me & we can organise a day/time. The dogs simply have a ball...& they are doing what comes naturally.

I will also be showing a young bitch next year (my Swedish import) as well as dabbling in mantrailing with my other two. If you ever need any more info, just ask. We certainly need more people involved in the breed.

Cheers

Hi HH,

The dogs I met were at the PIAA Trade expo, they were stunning :cheer:

I would love to come and see your dogs work one day, and I would love to come along to see your new bitch at a show! That is great that you are bringing in some new bloodlines, how exciting!

I will send you a PM in the new year to organise something :cheer: oh yay I'm so excited!

We are living in suburbia ATM (and OH thinks we have reached our dog limit :laugh: ) but when we move back to property I would deffinetly think about a Bloodhound. I'm just not sure I could give the right home, ill reserve my judgement till I meet more :cheer:

GG

hmmmmm yes I think he was a red with a black nose and Mojo rings a bell, very nice owner/handler, maybe Paul? I know he gave me his card, but I handed it onto my replacement when I left work. Damn - should have kept it in case OH goes missing while 4WDriving :mad

Anyway he was gorgeous - I loooove the black and tan's though ;) beautiful!