Pup Swallowed Chicken Neck Whole!

Lindainfa

I've noticed they tend to smash it up themselves (chewing) and then swallow the whole thing down - atleast thats what my beagle pup did!

We freeze chicken necks and wings now and give her them to her frozen - they last longer that way!

As long as it made it down his throat and into his stomach, which seems to have occured, things should be fine. Problems arise when dogs get things stuck in their throats which can then block off their airway leading to the dog passing out and possibly dying.

I cut my pugs chicken necks up into bite sized pieces because they try to swallow things. Chicken necks are the perfect size to block off their airway.

Maybe chicken wings are better for a cav sized dog, less chance of this happening. Though I wouldn't have thought that a 13 week old pup would be at risk of this?!

I feed my Chihuahua chicken necks all the time and she is fine, but due to her small size, no way could she even attempt to swallow one whole :)

Puggy puggy

As long as it made it down his throat and into his stomach, which seems to have occured, things should be fine. Problems arise when dogs get things stuck in their throats which can then block off their airway leading to the dog passing out and possibly dying.

I disagree with you. My vet said he has done heaps of bowel surgery from lodged chicken necks. Because he has done so many of these ops. he advises against feeding chicken necks to dogs at all.

Lindainfa,

I would watch your dog very closely indeed to make sure nothing is amiss in the next two days. If anything does not appear to be right - straight off to the vets.

Im hestiant with chicken necks these days. My last cav choked on a neck and since that day I have been very cautious giving them. She was ok after but still made me think twice about feeding them.

I started feeding my two current girls necks, cut up into pieces. The eldest one would just gulp them, not chew them (so really pointless) and the other one would chew the small bits.

If you are going to feed chicken necks, id try cutting them up into smaller pieces, perhaps a couple of cms long and see if he chews it (seems to me he will gulp them given he did with the whole neck, so perhaps smaller frozen bits might be better??).

Some feed wings, I never did. Just make sure you supervise. Do you have a kong? Shoving the neck in a kong may make him chew at it more?? Just an idea? Kongs are great and I use them alot.

ETA

Edited by Bellatrix

Puggy puggy

I disagree with you. My vet said he has done heaps of bowel surgery from lodged chicken necks. Because he has done so many of these ops. he advises against feeding chicken necks to dogs at all.

:) The whole necks made it through the stomach and into the bowl intact?

I know that in some cases dogs can have bowl obstructions due to a build up of bone mass but this usually occurs due to their diet having to much bone and not enough meat, veggies offal etc in it.

I've had a couple of small dogs which would just swallow the chicken neck whole - scary watching their neck expand as they struggle to get it down. Now I always start pups on necks by holding the neck while the pup chews, then try them after a time with the neck on their own. Haven't had a 'swallower' since but I always supervise.

That's pretty scary! Is that re dogs who don't chew them properly?

Yes. When they swallow whole.

The whole necks made it through the stomach and into the bowl intact?

Yes. They can exit the stomach before totally breaking down.

I would not feed my dogs chicken necks AT ALL. But I'm sure if you smashed the necks into smaller pieces they would probably be OK. The worry is when the whole chicken neck is ingested in one whole piece

Puggy puggy

Lindainfa,

I would watch your dog very closely indeed to make sure nothing is amiss in the next two days. If anything does not appear to be right - straight off to the vets.

My 8 year old Cav has swallowed many necks without chewing properly over the years without incident.

I have two cavs that swallow the necks whole everytime I feed them whole, so I cut them into pieces 2-3 pieces which helps them chew them....

I personally dont like wings cause I have heard that wings if fed whole and folded together can open up in the stomach and cause problems... if I were to give wings I would cut at the joints ;)

The best thing that I have found is chicken frames... they chew them and its good for them... one frame would do an adult cav for a meal :rofl: for a puppy I would give a half a frame.

For the puppies I have bought nylabones and they spend all day chewing them while teething :)

I have to say I'm scared to give chicken necks as my SBT swallowed the only one I've ever given him whole. I watched him like a hawk for days after that! Made me so nervous.

I also struggle with the Chicken Frame thing... Goes back to when I was a child and was constantly told that Chicken Bones aren't good for dogs. I'd really like to give him frames, but I'm worried part of it will get stuck I wont know how to help him! :thumbsup:

Has anyone else overcome the fear?

I've noticed they tend to smash it up themselves (chewing) and then swallow the whole thing down - atleast thats what my beagle pup did!

We freeze chicken necks and wings now and give her them to her frozen - they last longer that way!

If she's drooling and chewing them to thaw them out then it's probably not a problem but you do know that frozen bone can splinter and perforate the gut right?

My son's dog when she was a pup used to swallow chicken necks whole. She would yelp with the pain of it going down. I worried about it so cut them into pieces. I also gave her single lamb flap bones & she swallowed that whole, same thing. It worried me at the time as to what happened to the bones. Nothing came out the other end recognisable as bone. I learned later that a dogs stomach juices are designed to dissolve raw bones. Nothing ever happened to her & she will soon be 9.

Only just saw this now. I no longer give Hugo (the pug) chicken necks because he started swallowing them whole. One time he threw it up two days later, still whole.

I now give him chicken wings and frames instead because he chews them, the necks are far too.... "neck" sized!!