Artemis Dogfood

ruffedge

I have 3 staffords that im looking to change over to Artemis from Eukanuba.I have noticed their coats are strarting to go a bit dull so seeing as their diet hasn't changed i thought i would change their biscuits.I feed a BARF diet as well.What is the better of Fresh Mix Adult and Fresh Mix Maximal please.I relise Maximal is grain free but i just want to feed a good type.Hoping you can help me out with this Thanks :-) :laugh:

Both Fresh Mix Adult & Fresh Mix Maximal are equal in quality, the only time 1 is better than the other depends on the needs of a particular dog.If you have chosen to feed a BARF diet and adhear to the principles of that then you should choose the Maxiimal. If you are happy to include some quality grains in your dogs diets then you could choose the Fresh Mix Adult. You could even alternate between the 2 diets.

I also wanted to mention that the single, most common cause of softer stools that a few dogs have experienced when eating Artemis is caused by over feeding. Simply cutting back 1/4 to 1/2 a cup per day alleviates the problem. The fact that Beet Pulp is not included in the Artemis range should not be a factor, Beet Pulp is a moderately fermentable fibre that is added to give bulk to the stools, Artemis chooses to use chicory root instead of beet pulp which is also a moderately fermentable fibre and prebiotic to promote digestive health but will still promote smaller firmer stools. I hope this info helps.

Thanks for the input.Yes i try to ahere to barf as best i can but only being new ( last 12 months) to it im always open to offers of support and advice.I suppose at the end of the day it always good to do whats best for the dog.Thanks again. :D

• 1 month later...

Well we tried Artemis Maximal for Monty because of his skin sensitivity and his skin never looked better... BUT now I am sitting here trawling through looking for advice about low protein diets because tonight for the 2nd night in a row Monty is in hospital after requiring surgery for bladder stones :D The vet & his breeder seem to think that it has been caused by the high protein diet of Maximal (Crude protein 42%)

I have 3 staffords that im looking to change over to Artemis from Eukanuba.I have noticed their coats are strarting to go a bit dull so seeing as their diet hasn't changed i thought i would change their biscuits.I feed a BARF diet as well.What is the better of Fresh Mix Adult and Fresh Mix Maximal please.I relise Maximal is grain free but i just want to feed a good type.Hoping you can help me out with this Thanks :-) :D

Both Fresh Mix Adult & Fresh Mix Maximal are equal in quality, the only time 1 is better than the other depends on the needs of a particular dog.If you have chosen to feed a BARF diet and adhear to the principles of that then you should choose the Maxiimal. If you are happy to include some quality grains in your dogs diets then you could choose the Fresh Mix Adult. You could even alternate between the 2 diets.

I also wanted to mention that the single, most common cause of softer stools that a few dogs have experienced when eating Artemis is caused by over feeding. Simply cutting back 1/4 to 1/2 a cup per day alleviates the problem. The fact that Beet Pulp is not included in the Artemis range should not be a factor, Beet Pulp is a moderately fermentable fibre that is added to give bulk to the stools, Artemis chooses to use chicory root instead of beet pulp which is also a moderately fermentable fibre and prebiotic to promote digestive health but will still promote smaller firmer stools. I hope this info helps.

I wish I had thought to cut back the food a bit to see if that firmed up my boys stools, as I was very happy with the ingredients of the Artemis Fresh Mix. Kody's coat did seem to be far duller on Artemis however. Having said that though, his skin wasnt itchy like it has been on other brands such as Royal Canin.

I would definately give Artemis a go. Hopefully your dogs will do well on it.

Both my dogs have been on Artemis Maximal for about a year now. Their coats are much better, weight completely under control and firm poos. I am very happy with it.

However, I did reduce the amount I feed them when I moved to grain free diet. My dogs also get bones regularly. And fruits and veggies as treats.

I always feed BARF plus I have started to add Nutro.

Everyone is doing well on it.

I also bought a bag of EVO which is grain free too (and almost the price of gold)

The % of protein does worry me so I only feed that selectively and in special circumstances.

My opinion is that if you don't want to feed grain because of allergies then don't feed dry dogfood, just stick to BARF or to a prey diet.

My opinion is that if you don't want to feed grain because of allergies then don't feed dry dogfood, just stick to BARF or to a prey diet.

That's not an option for me since my elkhound doesn't seem to be able to digest beef, kangaroo or pork meat. I get lamb bones for him but that's not always easy since most butchers stock mainly beef or pork bones.

However, I am curious about the concerns relating to protein content. Aren't dogs mainly carnivorous? So their natural diet would contain only protein, not vegetables or grain. Then why is high protein content a concern?