When Is It Ok To Kick A Dog

ncarter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was kick the dog or go to hospital to reattach various parts of my arms and face. Bloody trained dogs, thing is you have to stop them before they get to you

Any dog that makes the attempt to latch onto mine. This ACD x tried to attack my old shepherd once when I was a teen, it went to grab her face and it got a right boot in the shoulder. Roaming dogs get no chance with me, I dont know what they're capable off and with that behavior its boot.

2psinapod I had that but on my boob after a pomeranian attacked me ... yes. on the booby. And I share your sentiment he needed a right kick in the bum for it! *bloody mums dog grumble grumble*

Edited by Nekhbet

There was a female long haired Shepherd in a farm-type block down the road from where we live. The owners had put one of those underground electric fence wires in and she wore the collar/receiver that (I think) gives them a shock if they go near the underground fence.

She had a problem with other dogs and she would to test the fence during the day (her owners usually switched it off at night and let her & her kennel-mate roam and sometimes forgot to turn it back on, yep..I know!)...I was walking past with my old dog Harry-the-Dirty-Dog and she came rushing out at us, the only thing I had in my hand was the bag of Harry-poo, anyway I was waving round this bag of poo and shouting and the dog backed off...I then threw gravel after her....gave me a bit of a fright though!

I now resort to carrying a small can of insect repellent...I figure that a squirt at the face will be a deterrent (or is that a no-no?)

We live in a rural area and it seems like every second property does not bother to lock up their aggressive mongrel dogs. So if we walk in our street, which is rare now for this reason, I always take my trusty and very serious Mag Lite. It will do far more damage to an attacking dog than I could with either kicking or punching and at less risk to me. I think if I was serious, I could crack a skull with it! And believe me, if some rotten dog is getting stuck into one of mine, I wont care what part of it I break to stop it! :laugh:

Our neighbours probably think I'm a bit strange taking a torch on a walk in broad daylight, but I dont care what they think, only about my dogs.

So with all this acreage around us, we prefer to pop the dogs in the car and take them elsewhere to walk them (but the torch comes too :) ). Walks are supposed to be enjoyable for all of us!

Definitely wouldn't hesitate kicking an attacking dog after trying other options (yelling & stomping etc).

We live in a light industrial area & there are always open yards with dogs roaming, I tried to teach my 6mth old Dane some leash work going around the block & had a scruffy mutt coming barking & charging out at us.. it was snapping at her heels before I knew it, I turned round & roared at it with a deep tone & stomped the ground right in front of its face. Its this shit (that constantly happens this in this pathetic town) that pisses me off & makes my dogs defensive or aggressive to other dogs & I hate it !!

In the heat of the moment I'm not sure what I'd do, both OH and I have (stupidly) picked our 4kg boy up before (putting everyone at more risk as dog jumps up to get to the little moving chew toy!).

I've fished Timmy out of the mouth of an enormous Dane type cross once who was playfully mouthing him to figure out what this (2kg / 6 month old) "thing" was. I shudder to think what would've happened if he wasn't friendly.

I guess it's just gut reaction but I'd say I would do almost anything to protect my boy - he's my world. :)

Not sure about kicking - not because I have a problem with it in teh attack situation described, just seems to be a bit risky for the leg.... When in the city and I used to walk my dog at night I ended up having to take along a nice heavy walking stick and that was brilliant. You can put it between yourself and the dog ot between your dog and it or just clobber it! (Hey I am talking attack situation) Dogs have a very healthy respect for sticks! Most of teh time a potentially threatening dog will look at you, the stick, the stick again, and rethink.

Very timely topic. I have been way too accommodating of accepting other poorly behaved dogs, who insist on lunging, barking & staring down my dog. It is getting beyond ridiculous & today & rang the council to complain.

I asked one lady politely, if she could please keep her dog on a short lead whilst we passed, only to be told “there’s nothing I can do” – delivered with a filthy glare! She has no problem (thinks its cute & funny I’m sure) with her small breed rushing at me & my dog aggressively, as she lets the lead extend fully. I am on a bicycle with my male rottie jogging beside me.

This has been every day for past 2 weeks & my dog is also starting to lose patience. I think I need to deal with the dog before he does.

Can anyone suggest appropriate action for me? I am a dog lover & do not want to cause the dog any harm & realise it is not the dogs fault. I am also pretty easy going, but it is getting too much.

Very timely topic. I have been way too accommodating of accepting other poorly behaved dogs, who insist on lunging, barking & staring down my dog. It is getting beyond ridiculous & today & rang the council to complain.

I asked one lady politely, if she could please keep her dog on a short lead whilst we passed, only to be told “there’s nothing I can do” – delivered with a filthy glare! She has no problem (thinks its cute & funny I’m sure) with her small breed rushing at me & my dog aggressively, as she lets the lead extend fully. I am on a bicycle with my male rottie jogging beside me.

This has been every day for past 2 weeks & my dog is also starting to lose patience. I think I need to deal with the dog before he does.

Can anyone suggest appropriate action for me? I am a dog lover & do not want to cause the dog any harm & realise it is not the dogs fault. I am also pretty easy going, but it is getting too much.

Can you 'accidentally' run over the dogs paw or tail with the bike?

Holy crap! I would never 'accidentally' run over a dog's paw or tail with a bike. That is, IMO, outright cruel, and there's a very real danger you will make the dog in question even more aggressive towards bikes. Who wants that?

I would pick a different route to avoid the little dog. Or get off and walk past it with the bike between you and it.

I emailed the council about the pair of agressive shih tzus that are let off the lead in a local on lead park and they did ring me back and say that they would keep my email on file just in case ( basically we agreed the owners was an idiot that didn't care and thought it was funny his little dogs were menacing my bigger one) as they gave me a number to ring that would hopefully give the ranger a chance to get there and have a few words (warning, fine) with the moron who has no idea about walking his dogs.