Would Honey Work To Soothe A Dogs Throat

Guest Willow

One of my boys sounds like he is coming down with KC :)

It's really not bad, but his throat must be a little bit sore....I have some linctol, but it is a year out of date, so I don't want to give him any....do you think honey would have the same soothing effects on a dog like it does on people with sore throats?

I would take him to the Vet to have the problem sorted.

Dogs can also suffer from tonsilitis, so to answer your question, until you can get him to a vet honey would not hurt, but you must have the problem diagnosed for your dogs sake and only your vet can do that.

I would take him to the Vet to have the problem sorted.

Dogs can also suffer from tonsilitis, so to answer your question, until you can get him to a vet honey would not hurt, but you must have the problem diagnosed for your dogs sake and only your vet can do that.

it's all good...I know KC when I see it :) ...if he appears worse later, naturally he will go off to the vet, but all they would do right now is send him home with unnecessary Clavulox.

Just haven't used honey before & wondered if anyone had any success with it.

Willow, I use honey a lot for all sorts of things with the dogs because yes, it does sooth their throats the same way it does for humans.

Duncan got dosed with a teaspoon 3 or 4 times a day when he had Canine Cough, and Dougs had it every time after having an anaesthetic (he's had a few!). It's also great to put in water to encourage a dog to drink more (they LOVE it!)

:)

Thanks Arty :eek:

I gave him some just now & he loved it I just slopped some in his bowl & dragged the cats off to give him a chance to actually eat some of it!!! :D .....I used up the last of my cheapy Coles blended stuff.....I'm going to have to crack open my exclusive Gingin Jarrah Honey next.....

*one spoon for me, one for him, one for me, one for him* :mad

Get "Active Manuka Honey". NOT from the supermarket, but from a health food store. Get one with UMF 20+. Much less than that isn't worth it. AMH has properties that boost the immune system. Also heals. And yes, would soothe/heal the throat.

Be prepared - it isn't cheap. A 250g jar is likely to set you back $50 or so. But I am never without a jar of this in the pantry/medicine cabinet. I've used it when my boy came down with CC as a pup and it helped him immensely. I use it for myself as well. And I dose my boy with it even when he might not have caught anything but perhaps has been around areas where 'bugs' have been. Good for settling upset tummies. So on and so forth.

Ordinary honey will help to soothe a throat, but it doesn't have the qualities/properties that AMH has.

Get "Active Manuka Honey". NOT from the supermarket, but from a health food store. Get one with UMF 20+. Much less than that isn't worth it. AMH has properties that boost the immune system. Also heals. And yes, would soothe/heal the throat.

Be prepared - it isn't cheap. A 250g jar is likely to set you back $50 or so. But I am never without a jar of this in the pantry/medicine cabinet. I've used it when my boy came down with CC as a pup and it helped him immensely. I use it for myself as well. And I dose my boy with it even when he might not have caught anything but perhaps has been around areas where 'bugs' have been. Good for settling upset tummies. So on and so forth.

Ordinary honey will help to soothe a throat, but it doesn't have the qualities/properties that AMH has.

I didn't realise Manuka honey was so different from other honeys! I had heard of it, but thought it was just another "fancy variety", if you get my drift....I'll grab some tomorrow when I get into town!!! :eek:

Yes you have to get the Manuka honey with the highest UMF as Erny said. It has been proven to kill bacterial infections and is great if you have gastro oesophageal reflux or stomach ulcers. Take 1 teaspoon at night on bread for ulcers as it is better to use a medium that gets it down into the stomach to work. Great stuff. Do a google search there is a heap of information on it.

I didn't realise Manuka honey was so different from other honeys! I had heard of it, but thought it was just another "fancy variety", if you get my drift....I'll grab some tomorrow when I get into town!!! :eek:

You'll have to fly to the Eastern States to get it Willow! :mad It's not allowed in WA now :D

I didn't realise Manuka honey was so different from other honeys! I had heard of it, but thought it was just another "fancy variety", if you get my drift....I'll grab some tomorrow when I get into town!!! :rofl:

You'll have to fly to the Eastern States to get it Willow! :D It's not allowed in WA now :)

Why is it not allowed????? :(

I didn't realise Manuka honey was so different from other honeys! I had heard of it, but thought it was just another "fancy variety", if you get my drift....I'll grab some tomorrow when I get into town!!! :rofl:

You'll have to fly to the Eastern States to get it Willow! :D It's not allowed in WA now :)

WA is relatively disease free compared to other Australian states and honey is made by bees from flowers.......and Manuka Honey is made in NZ..... can't remember the name of the specific disease they are worried about, I did google it once.....

I used to buy NZ Clover Honey (absolutely heaven!!!) from the Kiwi Shop but then they had to stop importing it - that was about 10 years ago now :)

Sorry - I keep forgetting to look at people's locations when I recommend AMH. Seems WA is the only State that does not permit it across its boarder (pest control, I believe). I don't understand what's in it that could cause or would be considered to be a potential cause of parasite contamination. Not heard of any problems associated with it anywhere else.

ETA: Sorry AF. Just read your post.

AMH is produced in Australia as well. At least it was some time back.

Edited by Erny

WA is relatively disease free compared to other Australian states and honey is made by bees from flowers.......and Manuka Honey is made in NZ..... can't remember the name of the specific disease they are worried about, I did google it once.....

I used to buy NZ Clover Honey (absolutely heaven!!!) from the Kiwi Shop but then they had to stop importing it - that was about 10 years ago now :)

you might be able to find Jellybush Honey though in the Health Food Store - this is an Aussie version and I think its as good as the Manuka honey - its a lot cheaper as well