Warning: Annual Vaccinations & Border Collies

I was speaking to a woman last night who told me an awful story about her 6 year old female Border Collie who died 6 weeks ago. When I asked why she died - the woman told me that she had a bad reaction to her annual vaccinations. The poor border collie had a stroke and then became paralyzed - so the woman was advised by her vet to put her border collie to sleep as her quality of life was no good. This woman had been vaccinating her BC for the past 6 years and it wasn't until this vaccination that this occured. She then went on to tell me that she has some vets in the family and spoke to a couple of them after this horrible incident and was told that apparantly this is a known reaction with Border Collies!!!!! The vet said that they haven't been able to figure out why this occurs in border collies - but it does occur!

So those of you out there - be careful when vaccinating your border collies.

Just thought I'd share this info.

soryy to hear about reactions like that hopefully one day (soon!) opinion will change and we wont need to vaccinate after 12 months....

when was the last tim eyou had a booster for childhood vaccines??!

im sure collie people are grateful of the info tho :worship::love:

So was this anaphylactic shock to the vaccine. I did not think this was more common in any breed in particualar. Or was she given a heartworm treatment, as the collie breeds do have a known sensitivity there.

30 years ago our vet was saying no vaccines beyond 6 years of age - obviously ahead of his time.

when was the last tim eyou had a booster for childhood vaccines??!

But then whooping cough among adults has increased significantly the last few years as a result of those people vaccinated as children no longer having immunity. This has increased the risk to those not vaccinated.

Dont get me wrong i think we over vaccinate, but the call for titre testing concerns me, after all it only gives you a result on the day of the test. One month later the titre maybe too low, and its eleven months until the next test.

RE: Whooping Cough.

Apparently the increase in whooping cough is because in the 1980s they changed the vaccination protocol for Whooping Cough. Something changed/type of vacc changed and it left a whole generation of kids vunerable.

Hence why my entire school class, and the classes above and below me all came down with it (70% or more). Were were part of a known epidemic of WC>

Let me just say that I would never wish that on anyone...!

Its not just Collies Rough and Smooths that can have vaccine reactions it is also Border Collies, Australian Shepherds and Shetland Sheepdogs and probably Bearded Collies as well.

And yes I have a vaccine reaction in an Aussie which was mild but something that I am very aware of these days.

Killed vaccines are the best way to go not live in these breeds.

There is a test available for ivermectin sensitivity it is still expensive but is one way to find out.

It is one of the reasons that all theses breeds should not be put on any ivermectin or ivermectin related heart worm medications. The long acting heart worm medication is one of those.

Vets are great in their general knowledge most of the time but do not on the whole know breed specifics. Ask your breeder first and foremost they will or should know. An example of this is in Borders is CL how many vets actually know about this disease? Not many I am sure!

Sorry Wylie, I am still not clear if you are saying collie sensitivity is to vaccination i.e. the C5 or C3, or is it the established ivermectin sensitivity e.g. yearly heartworm. I have a rough collie so am concerned if we are tlking C3/C5 in particular. I already knew the ivermectin and avoid that.

Hi Dogdayz

There can be an allergic reaction to C3, C4, C5 and C7 if it is a live vaccine.

There can also be a sensitivity to ivermectin and its derivatives which is found in a lot of heart worm treatments.

Your breeder would be the best peron to ask in terms of sensitivities.

Thanks Wylie

Interestingly my collie did not handler her C5 puppy vacs very well (slept for 48hours), so she was ony C3 after that (no ill effect). I did search all this stuff pretty heavily because my other dog is a weim where autoimmune problems are linked to vaccines, but saw nothing around on collie sensitivity.

Dogdayz

I have heard nothing come from the drug companies that make the C3 - C5 vaccinations about an increased risk in border collies or any other kind of collies. I also have not seen any vaccination reactions from the many collies that visit our clinic yearly.

I would be contacting the drug company and asking for proof of this. I must admit that it sounds like an urban myth. I am not denying that a lady has lost her BC due to an allergic reaction - it can and does happen. I just don't believe that every single collie is now at risk of the same thing occuring.

My staffy has her annual vaccinations last week, or the week before,? she didnt seem too well afterwards , at 1st I was worried, she got the shivers, and was very listless, she vomited once, and had dioreah. I was in a panic by then. I Called the vet, and he said if shes not ok in the morning, to bring her in, at one stage in the night I wasnt even sure she'd be alive in the morning. So this worried mummy sat up and watched her, made her show me she could walk every few hrs... :thumbsup::champagne:

When I spoke to my vet the following day, and Jinta HAD recovered, he said that its being discussed atm, re: how often do we NEED to vaccinate, He even went so far as to say by this time next year yearly vacc. will be phased out, and only the 1st , and 2nd being the most important, and yearly heartworm. he is quite cynical about the actual protection vaccinations give, and the fact that some vets are beggining to see this, and agree.

He told me he'd know more by the time we visit next, so Im thinking they WILL SOON phase out annual vaccinations.

I hope so, because I wouldnt put a baby through vaccinations yearly, and ive done some reaserch myself about the dangers of vaccinations, and the lack of protection they give. Also I read that Parvo was a man made virus.. ;)

There is info on the web about dangers of vaccinating, although I have never seen it as being breed specific.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a good website that discusses yearly vaccination for dogs - pros and cons?

I know that some people who have yearly flu jabs can get very sick - not specifically to the vaccine itself, but their immune system seems to react badly - system overload or something.

Border collies aren't the only breeds sensitive to vaccines. ALL breeds are, as well as cats and horses and anything else you care to vaccinate. (Including humans!)

I think all pet owners should be given a lot more information about the pros and cons of vaccinating and we should be given a choice as to how often we vaccinate. Guilt tactics shouldn't come into it. The propaganda vet's hand out is ridiculous and the main advantage is to the drug companies pockets...

My 6 month old GSD suffered from vaccinosis after her second puppy shot of C3. She has since had a killed parvo vaccination which she handled fine but there will be very few, if any vaccinations for the rest of her life. For the last 6 or 7 years I have been aware of problems with over vaccinating. When I mentioned my pup's problem to another vet (in conversation, she is firmly in the belief I am killing my dogs by not vaccianting them with everything every 12 months LOL) she mentioned they recently had a lot of cats reacting badly.

I have a nearly 8 yo beagle X who was vaccinated with C3 in October and the nasal kennel cough spray in November as she was going to be boarded while we were on holidays. Emma has never had a kennel cough vaccine and the C3 was her first in 3 years. She didn't end up going to the kennels because she got very ill. Emma stayed at my Mum's instead but 10 days later is still not right. I am starting to suspect some problem with her liver and I suspect the vaccines have not helped!

The only vaccine I will use from now on is the killed parvo, nothing else - and no more holidays if it means putting my dogs in kennels.