Lagotto Romagnolo

Troy

3 girls & 2 boys all shades of cream, 1 boy with a chocolate face. Will post pics next week :rofl:

cute, hope the boy turns out to be show quality :D will break the girls up abit LOL

how are the babies going? charlie has made friends with my sisters aussie, they had the best run on the beach though charlie was the only dog to go in swimming he just loves it :shrug:

The litter was 2 girls & 3 boys. All going well. Will post some photos soon. Glad to read Charlie's doing so well.

Just saw the puppies on the puppy page, give them a cuddle from me and I know you'll find the best homes for them :laugh:

• 1 year later...

Hi there

I have a beautiful 2 year old male brown and white lagotto male. He is the world's friendliest dog and just adores people and other dogs. Due to an unforeseen change in our circumstances, he went to live with a family friend of ours and her two older dogs just over a year ago. However she is getting on in years and can no longer manage him from an exercise and grooming point of view and it is now time for us to decide whether his future is best with us at home in less than ideal circumstances. We simply do not have the time we would like to spend with him and fear he would get lonely and destructive. Getting another dog for company is not feasible. I would not be willing to rehome him to anyone unfamiliar with lagottos. He needs plenty of exercise and his hunting instinct appears to be very strong. He will not return when called if he is chasing birds for example.He lacks some basic good doggy manners (ie jumps up , pushes out the door etc) due to having been a bit spoilt. This I think could be fixed.

I guess I am putting this out there to see if any of you have any good ideas.I have contacted his breeder but have not heard back at this stage (he is desexed etc). I have had many many sleepless nights tring to decide what might be best for our dog. Am not taking any decisions lightly. Thank you.

Hi there

I have a beautiful 2 year old male brown and white lagotto male. He is the world's friendliest dog and just adores people and other dogs. Due to an unforeseen change in our circumstances, he went to live with a family friend of ours and her two older dogs just over a year ago. However she is getting on in years and can no longer manage him from an exercise and grooming point of view and it is now time for us to decide whether his future is best with us at home in less than ideal circumstances. We simply do not have the time we would like to spend with him and fear he would get lonely and destructive. Getting another dog for company is not feasible. I would not be willing to rehome him to anyone unfamiliar with lagottos. He needs plenty of exercise and his hunting instinct appears to be very strong. He will not return when called if he is chasing birds for example.He lacks some basic good doggy manners (ie jumps up , pushes out the door etc) due to having been a bit spoilt. This I think could be fixed.

I guess I am putting this out there to see if any of you have any good ideas.I have contacted his breeder but have not heard back at this stage (he is desexed etc). I have had many many sleepless nights tring to decide what might be best for our dog. Am not taking any decisions lightly. Thank you.

Tedotto,

Obviously your first port of call would be your own breeder but, failing that, since there are only relatively few breeders in Australia maybe you could try calling/emailing one of the other breeders, not their responsibility obviously but sometimes people who have a passion for their breed take it upon themselves to assist dogs in need not of their own breeding. I note there are a couple of breeders in this thread who have taken the time already to respond to queries they might be a good start.

There is a list here:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/lagotto-romagnolo.asp

Failing that you could try the non-urgent section of the rescue part of this forum (though it's not strictly rescue your dog is desexed I note which is one of the important criteria).

• 9 months later...

We have a 14 month old brown roan lagotto. He is a very intelligent dog who learns very quickly and seems to love making us laugh. He is pretty active but is also happy snoozing a lot. He loves being close to people and always wants to be the centre of attention. He still does zoomies around the backyard every night which is very funny to watch.

He is not very high maintenance in the grooming department, although, he is a pet and not a show dog. We just have him clipped every few months and brush a little in between.

We are looking forward to adding to our lagotto family in the next year or so :thumbsup:

Hi, We are going to be welcoming a Lagotto pup into our home at the end of August....can you let me know if your pup was destructive... digging, chewing etc and was he very hard to train?

Traceyh

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 14 month old brown roan lagotto. He is a very intelligent dog who learns very quickly and seems to love making us laugh. He is pretty active but is also happy snoozing a lot. He loves being close to people and always wants to be the centre of attention. He still does zoomies around the backyard every night which is very funny to watch.

He is not very high maintenance in the grooming department, although, he is a pet and not a show dog. We just have him clipped every few months and brush a little in between.

We are looking forward to adding to our lagotto family in the next year or so :thumbsup:

Hi, We are going to be welcoming a Lagotto pup into our home at the end of August....can you let me know if your pup was destructive... digging, chewing etc and was he very hard to train?

Traceyh

Hi Traceyh

I noticed you hadn't had a reply so thought I'd add my 2 cents. My Lagotto is now 15 months and I've started showing her which I'm new to and obedience training (done a little but not much before). I can only speak from personal experience so others may not have had the same experience as me... Prior to Cino (yes she's a girl but DH named her :confused: ) I'd had a Golden Retriever so hugely different personalities. I've found her definitely challenging. They are extremely intelligent and can be very destructive if not entertained. Puzzles and feeding via puzzles will be your best friend. Keeping the brain occupied will help save your outdoor furniture, washing etc and Cino used to loved to garden. I'd find hundreds of dead worms all over the back pavers. Her truffle nose was working well, she was digging them up! So a designated digging area would help too.

Having said that she is so awesome with my 3 year old they are best mates and now she's matured some more all of the training I've worked on over the last 12 months that I thought was a complete waste of time as she was always so hyper with an attentions span of about 9 seconds has now paid off. She picks things up really quickly. I think it was a case of her looking at me and thinking I sat once stupid I'm not doing it again! NEXT!!

Look up the social group Ozgotto's on yahoo. I've recently joined them as we don't have a breed club and they have been amazingly helpful and friendly with a lot of experience amongst the members in pretty much all disciplines.

Good luck with your new puppy they are an awesome breed. I'm hooked and already wishing for another!

Toni

Traceyh

Hi Traceyh

I noticed you hadn't had a reply so thought I'd add my 2 cents. My Lagotto is now 15 months and I've started showing her which I'm new to and obedience training (done a little but not much before). I can only speak from personal experience so others may not have had the same experience as me... Prior to Cino (yes she's a girl but DH named her :confused: ) I'd had a Golden Retriever so hugely different personalities. I've found her definitely challenging. They are extremely intelligent and can be very destructive if not entertained. Puzzles and feeding via puzzles will be your best friend. Keeping the brain occupied will help save your outdoor furniture, washing etc and Cino used to loved to garden. I'd find hundreds of dead worms all over the back pavers. Her truffle nose was working well, she was digging them up! So a designated digging area would help too.

Having said that she is so awesome with my 3 year old they are best mates and now she's matured some more all of the training I've worked on over the last 12 months that I thought was a complete waste of time as she was always so hyper with an attentions span of about 9 seconds has now paid off. She picks things up really quickly. I think it was a case of her looking at me and thinking I sat once stupid I'm not doing it again! NEXT!!

Look up the social group Ozgotto's on yahoo. I've recently joined them as we don't have a breed club and they have been amazingly helpful and friendly with a lot of experience amongst the members in pretty much all disciplines.

Thanks for your advice Toni...I will check out the Ozgotto`s website.

Tracey

Good luck with your new puppy they are an awesome breed. I'm hooked and already wishing for another!

Toni

Traceyh

Oops, just saw your post.

Tintin is now just over 3 1/2yo. When he was a puppy (less than 12mo) he chewed a couple of electrical cords :eek: and he had a taste for the eyes of the kids teddys.

Really, he hardly chewed anything at all and when he did, I would say that it was our fault. He occasionally dug small but deeeeeep holes in our lawn. He tended to go for the same place each time so we assumed that was something down there that smelt pretty fab.

Tintin is very sensitive, as are the other Lagottos I've met, so that's really important to remember. He was pretty easy to train the basics to. He was the standout star at puppy school which was kind of fun :D . The only real issue we still have with him now is his over exuberance with visitors. We're working on it.

I guess we did put a fair bit of effort into him but I think that he is just naturally a "good" dog. Thanks heaps to his breeders!

Tintin is a ripper dog who constantly makes us laugh. I'm so glad I found DOL which led to finding out about the breed. Oh, and I can highly recommend Ozgottos too. Very supportive and so much knowledge to share.

Hilton's, where are you? I'd be happy for you to meet Tintin if you like.

Do you mind saying which breeder you've chosen?

Hi,

I am on the Gold Coast and my pup is being flown up from Deb Lee from Deelee Lagotto`s in Victoria.

Tracey

Edited by Hilton's

• 1 month later...

Hilton's, where are you? I'd be happy for you to meet Tintin if you like.

Do you mind saying which breeder you've chosen?

Hi,

I am on the Gold Coast and my pup is being flown up from Deb Lee from Deelee Lagotto`s in Victoria.

Tracey

Unfortunately the pup I was supposed to be getting had a stroke at 5 weeks so am now getting a brown boy from WA around 7th Sept...fingers crossed.

Tracey

• 5 years later...

We are looking at a Lagotto puppy from a breeder who used to be registered (is not currently) so pup would be without papers and $2800.

Reviews of breeder from years ago (whilst registered) were very good, just making sure that price is in the ballpark... Or should we expect it to be different without papers?

Yes :) plenty of registered breeders to choose from. Here 

It's not all that hard to keep your registration going if you want to breed. :shrug:

I don't know the standard price but I'd choose to pay more if it was the going rate for registered pups rather than save some by going on someone's word that they are selling you a purebred.   

• Like 3

thanks all.  We thought it was a registered breeder initially, but since found this wasn't the case so are having obvious second thoughts.  ☹ All signs point to this not being a good idea so we will have to wait for another legitimate puppy to become available.

• Like 4