West Highland White Terrier

Troy

Pity you were not at the royal would have been good to catch up, I know of several westies in SA that have achieved Tracking Dog With Excellence so something to work towards :hug:

Thanks for this advice. I was going to see them at the Royal but couldn't get there. I will keep exploring.

Yeah but Hemi is a special boy :hug:

I am curious as to how Westies go in competition obedience? I am trying not to get a second dog! lol

I had my last boy doing everything I asked of him (sit, drop, stay, come) and was just about to start classes so I could look into competing, and he passed away

My current boy is almost 10 months, I have put limited training into him, and he sits, drops, has a bit of a recall and shakes...

So yes, I think it can be done... In the states I think htey are very competitive, I heard a Westie was top obedience dog a few years back

Yeah but Hemi is a special boy :laugh:
I am curious as to how Westies go in competition obedience? I am trying not to get a second dog! lol

I had my last boy doing everything I asked of him (sit, drop, stay, come) and was just about to start classes so I could look into competing, and he passed away

My current boy is almost 10 months, I have put limited training into him, and he sits, drops, has a bit of a recall and shakes...

So yes, I think it can be done... In the states I think htey are very competitive, I heard a Westie was top obedience dog a few years back

This is not making my decision any easier. I just love the breed but I don't want to fit them to me if it is not a good fit. Can't even work out if I want a second dog (which is why I am reading all these threads) :laugh::hug:

my boy Rob Roy is doing really well at obedience, seemed to take to it really well but it's been hard work. The only thing we're struggling with is retrieving, can't seem to get him to hold anything in his mouth - other than food that is :bolt:

hard decision choosing a second dog but westies are great dogs :rofl:

Edited by bazilybazbaz

my boy Rob Roy is doing really well at obedience, seemed to take to it really well but it's been hard work. The only thing we're struggling with is retrieving, can't seem to get him to hold anything in his mouth - other than food that is :laugh:

hard decision choosing a second dog but westies are great dogs :)

I think I want one it is just DH who doesn't. Then he didn't want one dog and dotes on Cindy. It is encouraging to know that they are trainable though-I had heard some conflicting reports.

• 3 months later...

I have a niece who is looking to buy a west highland terrier. I would like her to buy one from a reputable breeder, not a puppy farm, can anyone please provide me with a contact for a puppy and preferably in the newcastle area, or sydney - at least.

thanks

I would reccomend contacting the West Higland White Terrier Club of NSW you can find the link to their site on the westie page

I have a niece who is looking to buy a west highland terrier. I would like her to buy one from a reputable breeder, not a puppy farm, can anyone please provide me with a contact for a puppy and preferably in the newcastle area, or sydney - at least.

thanks

Hello :laugh: We just brought home a 10-wk westie puppy last week and need your expert advices. We are keeping her in-house and now trying to toilet train her to go outside. The problem is every time we take her out, she seems to enjoy rolling around the yard, dirt, and also digging around. It is probably what Westie like to do but how can we keep her clean??? I brush off all the dirt and wipe off her dirty feet every time we come in (which is like every hour because I try to take her out every hour) but she is still very stink even after a bath. The house also becomes kind of stink too now. Is this normal with the breed (the body odor) or is it the food plus the love of rolling in the yard? I'd really appreciate any advice you could give.

Edited by perla

Congratulations on your new puppy

First of all try not to wash too often, as that strips the coat of the natural oils. Secondly I find that the difference of a stripped and clipped westie is different... My stripped westie rarely had an odour, as the coat was harsh and repelled the dirt, where a soft clipped coat allows the dirt to be absorbed more.

What are you feeding puppy, as the diet can contribute.

Congratulations on your new puppy

First of all try not to wash too often, as that strips the coat of the natural oils. Secondly I find that the difference of a stripped and clipped westie is different... My stripped westie rarely had an odour, as the coat was harsh and repelled the dirt, where a soft clipped coat allows the dirt to be absorbed more.

What are you feeding puppy, as the diet can contribute.

The breeder that I got her from feed all her dogs with raw food diet so I follow her diet plan (minced cooked beef with rice & veggies for breakfast and dinner...sometimes I add sardines or tuna, eggs, as recommended by the breeder) and dry kibbles for lunch (she's on nutro at the moment but I'm planning to switch to candidae). It seems that her puppy coat is not ready to be stripped yet (still hard to pull) but I plan to strip her coat in a week or two when it's ready. I want to bath her as unoften as I can but she sometimes gets so smelly :laugh: Can I use waterless shampoo on her between baths? Are those shampoos harsh on coat especially puppy coat?