Teaching Pup To Fetch

first timer

Hey guys Im hoping for some good tips :rofl:

Bella is nearly 5 mths now :rofl: and wont play fetch with us...I have tried giving her a treat when she brings the toy back to me but this only lasts a couple of throws and then she just looks at me like if you want the toy you go and get it :laugh:

How do I teach her toplay fetch...the boys are dying to play it with her...

Bella is a lab by the way dont know if that has anything to do with it :laugh:

Charlie's version of fetch is, i throw his toy, he runs after it and turns around and gives us a look of 'well, why aren't you chasing me?'

:laugh:

He does return with the object if I give him the command Give. He doesn't want to though, but still does.

Most of the time, everyone is usually happy enough to chase him.

Hey guys Im hoping for some good tips :rofl:

Bella is nearly 5 mths now :rofl: and wont play fetch with us...I have tried giving her a treat when she brings the toy back to me but this only lasts a couple of throws and then she just looks at me like if you want the toy you go and get it :laugh:

How do I teach her toplay fetch...the boys are dying to play it with her...

Bella is a lab by the way dont know if that has anything to do with it :laugh:

Most labs have a natural instinct to fetch, it is what they were bred for after all. Try putting the toy or whatever a short distance from you and if she brings it back praise praise, if you can get her to do short retrieves then lengthen them little by little, of course with labs if there is a food reward when the job is done that helps......little steps.....some of mine do it without being taught.....some don't care for retrieving at all.....

I was so surprised by my 12 week old Pug (Wuggles),the first time we had a tiny tennis ball for him,threw it,and he bought it straight back,he didnt want to give it up,but now with a bit og coaxing(we say "tar for dad")he puts it in our hands.as i said,it was such a pleasent surprise. :laugh:

Bella is nearly 5 mths now :rofl: and wont play fetch with us...I have tried giving her a treat when she brings the toy back to me but this only lasts a couple of throws and then she just looks at me like if you want the toy you go and get it :thumbsup:

I would just like to clarify, you can throw the ball and she will chase it and bring it back a couple of times? So will she continue to chase the ball, but just not bring it back, or does she not even chase it in the first place?

There are two ways you can go, either teach a formal retrieve, or develop drive using tug: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/727 <this article explains how to start tug off correctly to build drive, and also teach the out. It's not a big step from here to a "play retrieve", you start using something you can toss instead of a rag.

Just be careful with the teeth at this age, that can inhibit tugging and also retrieving.

I have always judged the 'intelligence' of a puppy by how quickly they learned to retrieve.

I try to introduce playing and retrieving a ball at an early age and many of my pups will naturally retrieve without being formally trained.

There are definitely some though that simply do not have any urge to retrieve the ball at all and I have found they prove quite a challenge to teach.

This is not to say that they are stupid, just that others are naturals and are therefore much easier going.

Jet loves fetch. He doesn't play tug, only fetch. He brings the ball back to me and when I say drop he lays down with the ball. It sort of came naturally the getting the ball bit. But then I just praised him whenever he brang the ball near me and he started to lay down with the ball near me and I started to use the word "drop" as he was doing this. However not all dogs like to play it.

She's teething so her mouth might be a bit sore and use something soft such as a feather or soft cloth.

And make the reward / treat something very tasty that she loves but doesnt normally have - cheese or devon or frankfurt etc.

Only try two or three times at each session and then try two or three times a day.

Peach played fetch from the start. We would throw the ball she would retrieve it and bring it back, once she stopped playing with it and dropped it by my feet I would just throw it again.

I wouldn't take the ball from her until she had finished playing with it.

Hi I have Labs too - ditto about the sore mouth - I used teddys, soft toys anything like that - no balls - I dont use food because my labs are such pigs they are distracted by the food and stare at me and drool. :thumbsup:

But soft toys are good, tease and throw a short distance - maybe 2 metre away and gently call you dog back. Get down on the ground with her/him and pat infront. Lots of praise and do it again. More than 4 times and the pups brain freezes and gets bored - pups have short concentration times but learn by repetition. Give it a go but keep the game very short and novel. and repeat the process a couple of times a day the pup should catch on ... I hope :laugh:

Edited by Tapua

Pepepr doesn't quite get "fetch"... she runs after something, grabs it, and does zoomies with it in her mouth. She enjoys the "chase" part of the game much more, even when we're just pretending to chase her.

With treats we managed to teach her to drop the object with "give" and get ready for another throw... but she rarely drops the toy very close to us.

Reading up on Aidan's link to see what we can do to change the game (for variety... the current game is good too!)

Dont know that I have much to help you out, but my Boof is the same, he is almost 6 months old now and will happily play "fetch" for a few throws but after that if you dont throw it closer and closer he will look at you as if to say "well you threw it, if you want it, you go get it!!!" But appartently his mum was similar in that she would fetch for a few throws but then she would take the ball and go off somewhere with it and that was the end of the game, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I'm also trying to work on the "give" part of it as part of the game for him is to bring it back to you, but come just close enough so that you think you can grab it but then he turns his head away. and its not a possesive thing because if you stop trying to get it he will turn back to you until you try to get it. We do get some good drops at the feet when food is involved (have to spit booring toys out to get yummy treats!!!!) but then the food becomes too intresting, he will do the "chase" part of fetch but then think that he doesnt need to bring the toy back to get the treat :)

After he decides that fetch is not fun anymore he is happy just to have pats and cuddles (a little more calmly) so I dont mind too much.

Good Luck with it

Vanessa