Mastiff

Troy

Hi Danielle, Mastiffs are the best!!

I personally don't know much about the Tibetan Mastiff, so i can't help you there.

Here is a link to the Mastiff All Breeds Ass looks like they are updating it so hopefully there should be more pics and info on there and some contacts who you may be able to seek info from :rofl:

Had a look on the Dogz listings and i qite like the look of SHANTISOUL...they have some nice dogs! Didn't realise they were so good looking...hmmmmm

They are quite different to the 'Mastiff' breeds i imagine, bit like the Pyrenean...fluffy and not quite what you would expect a Mastiff to look like at all.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone experienced can shed some light, we brought home a mastiff puppy (male) who is absolutely adorable and doing lots of cute things, just wanted to check his weight gain is OK cause he seems lighter than what we see on websites?

We've been tracking his weight since 6 wks..

6wks 4.07kg

7wks 5.3kgs

8wks 7.0kgs

9wks 9.0kgs

Does this seem right??

• 3 months later...
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone experienced can shed some light, we brought home a mastiff puppy (male) who is absolutely adorable and doing lots of cute things, just wanted to check his weight gain is OK cause he seems lighter than what we see on websites?

We've been tracking his weight since 6 wks..

6wks 4.07kg

7wks 5.3kgs

8wks 7.0kgs

9wks 9.0kgs

Does this seem right??

Hi my male mastiff was 20Kg at 12 weeks, 45Kg at 6 months and 70Kg at 12 months.

He is 14 months and I haven’t weighted him recently but I expect him to keep increasing weight slowly until he's fully matured at 3 yrs old. His father weights 100Kg so I think he will be around that weight.

My dog has never been fat (but he is very muscular) which is important as fat dogs put unnecessary stress on their joints which is likely to result in future problems.

Why do you have the pup from 6 weeks? it should have stayed with his mum until he is at least 8 or more weeks.

I have referenced the following growth chart often and based on that my dog would also be under weight but in reality what matter is the structure and soundness of the dog rather than the numbers. (different dogs grow at different rates)

Mastiff Weight Chart

Male / Female (in lbs)

8 wks 29/24

9 wks 33/29

10 wks 36/32

11 wks 40/36

3 months 45/39

4 months 60/50

5 months 80/65

6 months 100/80

7 months 125/90

8 months 140/100

9 months 155/110

10 months 165/112

11 months 170/115

12 months 175/120

13 months 180/122

14 months 185/125

15 months 188/125

16 months 189/125

17 months 190/127

18 months 192/127

2 years 205/135

30 months 210/140

3 years 215 - 225/155 - 180

4 years 220 - 230/160 - 190

5 years 220

Excellent post Clyde, so well said :rofl:

Almost every large dog is called a Mastiff, when in fact it is nothing like what a Mastiff should be like, in looks and in temperament, usually because it is a cross breed with many dogs in the mix, but because it is large and may be a similar colour it is called a Mastiff. It is just a label given, and i think people like to give that label to their big dogs not thinking about the misrepresentation they are giving to the real Mastiff breeds.

There are many different breeds of Mastiffs, all different in type and temperament. There are the Bullmastiffs, Neopolitan Mastiffs, French Mastiffs (Dogue - Turner and Hooch dog) Italian Corso, Spanish Mastiff, Tibetan Mastiff, Central Asian Mastiff (Ovcharka), Pyranean Mastiff and the English Mastiff. Then there is the South African mastiff the Boerbel (not a recognised breed with the ANKC but has their own registry) and the Fila Brasileiro (also not recognised with the ANKC ((not allowed into the country))registered by the FCI and others).

Then you have these 'people' who are ruining or breed by 'creating' the so called 'Australian Mastiff' which has everything in the mix (according to their website) including English Mastiff, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Dogue De Bordeux, and Ovcharka. These 'people' are selling the pups for as much as what a purebred registered Mastiff will cost. Also they train them to be highly protective. Adding one of these creations into your family is just asking for trouble.

When you start mixing different breeds together you are throwing different personalities in the mix, not knowing what you will get from it. 100 kg dog with a kelpies brain...can you imagine it!!!!

Mastiffs are naturally a guarding breed and will protect their home and family if needed, but they should never be 'trained' or taught to be aggressive towards people or other dogs.

These days Mastiffs are bred to be much softer than what they were used for in the past and with their masters approval will accept you into their home with not a problem. If you are out walking on the street children and adults can come and greet your Mastiff without a worry, the dog is sound and knows his size. Other dogs can approach and be happily greeted by a wagging tail. A person can offer the dog food and the dog will take the food as gentle as can be with only his front teeth....this is just how a Mastiff is, large kind and gentle, always knowing his size accepting all that is around him.

:laugh:

And you also have the Japanese Mastiff (Tosa), the Korean Mastiff (Dosa), the Argentinean Mastiff (Dogo Argentino)

As I understand the Japanese, Argentinean and Brazilian Mastiffs cannot be bread in Australia due to their temperaments. The Tosa was bred for fighting, the Fila to chase slaves in the jungles of Brazil and the Argentinean is mostly used for hunting.

I personally like the looks of the Argentinean Mastiff very much.

We aren't allowed those here! Although i do like alot of the Mastiff breeds ;)

Sharna's puppy wasn't from a 'reputable' breeder and it can't be known if the pup is actually a 'purebred' or not, but he sure is cute! His weight looked fine from the photos she sent me, his condition was good.

• 3 weeks later...

Great pic, he looks like his dad, but more handsome :( can you post your pic in the Mastiff thread on the breeds sub forum too? People will miss it if it just stays here :banghead:

Great place to take the dogs by the looks, i know mine love the beach!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate_Summer

Which Breeder would you recommend? I'm in QLD & might consider a Mastiff in 6+ years.

Thanks

Great looking Mastiffs you have, my kids found them very lovely :laugh:

Hi, there are a few breeders in QLD, check out the Dogzonline breeders page and have a look and contact a few people. Don't just limit yourself to your own state though, it doesn't cost much to fly puppies around Aus :o

It depends what you like, how you get on with the breeder and if they're breeding good dogs!

Feel free to Pm me or ring me if you need any advice :laugh:

Great pic, he looks like his dad, but more handsome :eek: can you post your pic in the Mastiff thread on the breeds sub forum too? People will miss it if it just stays here :eek:

Great place to take the dogs by the looks, i know mine love the beach!

Hi Hannah,

I can't find the location that you mention. Could you send me a link?

• 8 months later...

Ok, so you twisted my arm Lynai!

An example of a fawn dog and a brindle bitch, both with very good masks (black muzzle, ears eyes and nose) and lovely expression.

IMG_0808.jpg

A fawn dog standing front on and side on.

IMG_05591.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

A brindle bitch being examined by the judge at a Championship Show

MiniatGDKC200909.jpg

A fawn dog having a cuddle with an 8 year old

IMG_8947.jpg

At the Million Paws walk, there was a lady with a beautiful 'long haired' Mastiff (English) that she said are called fluffies but aren't well known as they are put down when they appear in litters. Is this true? If so, it's a pity as the dog was just beautiful, very calm and drew so much attention. She also had a short coated Mastiff pup, which was just adorable.

ETA: the dogs listed here are just beautiful. Regarding the 'Australian Mastiff' it is such a pity that people jump on the bandwagon of 'breeding' and decide to ruin the breed by doing their own thing. The dogs listed on one website look like a mix of Great Danes, Bull Mastiffs and just big boofas.

Edited by poochmad

The fluffies arw a hustoric throw back because people killed off mastiffs.you can only get a fluffy mastiff if both parents have the gene and a pup from a fluffy does not automatucally have the

Fluffies do crop up from time to time. There is a DNA test now so that breeders can pair up their dogs accordigly so that the fluffy gene is avoided or can be bred it out. It's not liked because it is not in the standard, they are supposed to be short haired. There is nothing wrong with a fluffy, but if one or more are born in a litter usually the breeder will put them in pet homes, i don't know of anyone that would put them down just because of the fluffy coat, but i suppose it could happen.

The Australian Mastiff is a sad thing, they do look just like something you could pick up from the pound!

Your brindle girl looks nice, do share more info and pics, you can post in the Mastiff thread in the Breed Sub Forum :)

I will be showing my girl soon am doing training at the moment.we will be looking for a puppy to show as well very soon

That's great, good for you! Where is your girl from? All the best out there, are you in the city? We come down occassionally, but wont be down for a while yet.

• 2 weeks later...

She is accushla from banpthsty crunchie he is on dogs on line and ebony and ivory ,my girl is 11 mnths and weighs in at 70 kg we love her to death

Oh yes, i remember the litter, good luck showing her, i hope to see her out and about.

Do you have any other Mastiffs? Where are you looking at getting your next puppy from?