Mastiff

Troy

She is accushla from banpthsty crunchie he is on dogs on line and ebony and ivory ,my girl is 11 mnths and weighs in at 70 kg we love her to death

Oh yes, i remember the litter, good luck showing her, i hope to see her out and about.

Do you have any other Mastiffs? Where are you looking at getting your next puppy from?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i dont have any other mastiffs.but we are always on the look out for the right puppy.and personally i am partial to brindle and female but my hybby lukes fawn and male so we may have to compromise,lol, i would love to show a puppy,we may have to import because i really luke the euro look

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in knowing what would be considered good hip and elbow scores. Could someone enlighten me as to what is considered excellent/good and OMG stay away from?

Ultimately, you would want a score of 0's all round, hips and elbows all O's because that is the best you can get, but reality is it just doesn't happen all that often.

Everything goes hand in hand, type, temperament and health. I don't believe all the value should be placed on what the dog has scored on the hips and elbows. It should be a consideration and if the dog has scored higher than average and is worthy of breeding (great type and temperament) it should be paired with a lower scoring dog, which most breeders that test do.

Hannah I understand what you mean and for me temperament is more important but I was wondering at what point would you walk away saying the hip/elbow scores of sire/dam are too high or not good enough?

Maybe that's not the best way to phrase it.

At what point would you decide hip/elbow scores would dissuade you from using the sire/dam in a breeding programme?

Edited by Ams

Hannah I understand what you mean and for me temperament is more important but I was wondering at what point would you walk away saying the hip/elbow scores of sire/dam are too high or not good enough?

Maybe that's not the best way to phrase it.

At what point would you decide hip/elbow scores would dissuade you from using the sire/dam in a breeding programme?

Well, if i got a 3/3 on elbows and the hips were a 30-40 and the dog was a shocker, the dog would be a pet!

I really couldn't give you an exact number for sure, you have to look at the overall dog itself. I would definitely be hesitant with 3/3's on the elbows. Anything over 20 on the hips also wary of, but wouldn't discount it. There is so much to consider with hip and elbow scoring and there no guarantee with breeding.

I've got a bitch with an elbow score of 2/2 and hips 3/4, i am not completely happy with the elbows but i paired her with a dog (my own) who has an elbow score of 0/0 and hips are 4/5. I'll see what he next generation brings. I do want to see low scores, but also want good type an temperament. So i wouldn't discount using a dog or buying a puppy from dogs who have higher than average scores if they have the type, tempermant.

Edited by HANNAH

Thank you Hannah. That is useful. I am after a pet but still want to be able to knowledgably interpret the scores and know a little bit about what I'm doing. I have absolutely no intention of breeding and if I am lucky enough to get a pup it will be desexed when the time is righ (because I understand molossans need longer to develop before desex).

Thank you Hannah. That is useful. I am after a pet but still want to be able to knowledgably interpret the scores and know a little bit about what I'm doing. I have absolutely no intention of breeding and if I am lucky enough to get a pup it will be desexed when the time is righ (because I understand molossans need longer to develop before desex).

How you bring the dog up is important to, exersize and diet is important.

You can pm me if you need any advise :)