Pp (prong) Collar

it is fitted properly.... nice and snug up under the chin as recommened by the trainer I purchased it from ;): .

But somehow, the links have sprung apart twice now :laugh: when Ollie has hit the end of the lead (and I've done an abrupt turn in anticipation of him surging forward). I can't even figure out how this has happened when the collar is so snug :(

The collar is about 5 years old now, and was a good quality one when I bought it. Any ideas how I can 'fix' the collar or is it time to buy a new one?

it is fitted properly.... nice and snug up under the chin as recommened by the trainer I purchased it from :): .

But somehow, the links have sprung apart twice now ;) when Ollie has hit the end of the lead (and I've done an abrupt turn in anticipation of him surging forward). I can't even figure out how this has happened when the collar is so snug :(

The collar is about 5 years old now, and was a good quality one when I bought it. Any ideas how I can 'fix' the collar or is it time to buy a new one?

I've had it happen once where the links kind of reversed out of each other, do you think that is what is happening?

I usually use a loose martingale as back up (kind of like a safety chain on a bracelet), as I know it can happen, though not often and I did think it was usually when the pp was a bit loose though?

Maybe some more experience person can shed some light.

If the links appear strong though, it would have to be that they are not springing apart unless they are bent out of shape or something :laugh:

I'd be getting a back up collar. On Leerburg they recommend the dominant dog collar as a back up cause prong collars can come apart. It's only happened to me once, but I know it was closed properly at the time. Even in one of the Leerburg DVDs the collar pops off when he's demonstrating a level 7 correction! :(

Instructions halfway down this page: http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

Edited by ruthless

If the prongs are popping there's probably one that is bent that needs replacing or you may not have put it on correctly i.e. didn't push the link further enough down when joining.

Always as a safety messure clip the prong to another collar :(

Edited by sas

thanks guys... after having a really good look at it, it does appear to have several 'suspect' links, ie; not quite the same shape as the others, these links are mostly the ones I use to open and close the collar. I'm sure I closed the collar correctly - tho these days it is certainly easier to close than when it was new! Just as well I don't think I'll be needing it for my dogs much longer, as I don't fancy forking out for a new one.

I've got some spare links around somewhere, will swap them over and will also clip the lead to a rope check or similar (as I figure clipping the lead to the flat collar would be pointless)

:thumbsup: