Wheat Bags

I would only use them if your dog is not inclined to chew. I have labradors and they have destroyed two wheatbags consuming the contents. Makes for interesting poo for a few days.It comes out undigested.They can sometimes be a lot hotter than they feel at first, I have burnt my skin on them so I would be very cautious about using them IMO.

I used one for when we bought our puppies home.

Though we wrapped it in a tshirt that smelt of us to provide comfort and to stop it burning.

And then they chewed it up. But thats cause we left it there after the puppies woke up. If we had of moved it there would be no probs!

I wouldn't use one .. in case it got chewed .. there's a lot of grain in there!

We are lucky having a slow combustion heater... on which I heat housebricks!! They are on there all day.. and are hot at bedtime. Wrapped well in a piece of woolen blanket, then put into a woollen terry type sock .. they stay warm pretty well all night- cannot leak, or be chewed much, and the pups/cats/piglets/baby birds love em!! :laugh:

Has anyone used these to keep there dogs warm, instead of buying a heat pad/mat?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :laugh:

would be very dangerous in my house as I know my temper :laugh: would be sorely tested when I discovered the almighty mess crreated when my two larrikins chewed thru the bag !

I made one for Leo when he was a puppy, he loved it and got good use of it (Always supervised, just in case he chewed it + was also double stitched) But when i brought it out again winter just gone he hated it and wouldnt go any where near it, go figure. As we have just had a cold snap I might try pulling it back out again tonight, if for nothing else then to rest my cold tootsies on it! :rofl:

I see wheat bits scattered around the house .....

Could use one to pre-heat the bed for them- safest option.

My dogs love a circular, cushy dog bed- both curl up nicely and are warm in that. Bigger one doesn't even fit, but still likes it.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I would only use them if your dog is not inclined to chew. I have labradors and they have destroyed two wheatbags consuming the contents. Makes for interesting poo for a few days.It comes out undigested.They can sometimes be a lot hotter than they feel at first, I have burnt my skin on them so I would be very cautious about using them IMO.

Yes, this happened with a foster dog! I couldn't believe the poop! :cry::(

I use wheat bags all the time for the Pugs and have for many years. We had a youngster in a little while back who chewed through on of the bags and I came home to find wheat EVERYWHERE! It gets in all the nooks and crevices too. :cry: Monte, one of my other Pugs hoovered some of it up and it didn;t seem to hurt him. As stated above, it came out looking the same as it went in. :(

My Pugs love them. When they see me walking towards them in Winter with some I have just heated up they get excited and sit on them beofre I can even put them in their beds properly! :rofl:

I used one a few years ago for my old girl. She loved it but one night after heating it in the microwave I smelt a burning odour. I cut the bag and some of the wheat was smoldering. Maybe I used the same one too often or left it in the microwave too long? Last time I used one, scary :laugh:

I use the snuggle safe heat discs. They are great, stay heated for a lot longer than heat bags and can take a fair amount of chewing from puppies. (I have them in my bed too for me :mad )