Where Does Your Puppy Sleep?

msn

Hi all,

Just wondering, where does your puppy sleep? I've heard many people and some friends say that they let their puppies/ dogs sleep in their beds.

In fact my puppy school trainer said she lets her dog sleep on her bed but her puppy sleeps in another room. When can you allow your puppy to sleep in your room/ bed? Is this even OK?

Look forward to your thoughts :laugh:

MSN

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie sleeps wherever he wants around the house.

Although at night, he comes into my bedroom. If he had a very long and tired day, he likes sleeping on the bed. If it's a hot night.. he goes to the ensuite bathroom to sleep on the tiles. Days where he isn't tired.. i put him on the floor so he goes and play with his toys and I've fallen asleep.. he goes to his bed, beside my bed, to sleep.

It's up to the individual owner on what they allow their dogs to do and sleep. I have a friend who never let her dog inside the house, so the dog sleeps in a kennel at the backyard. I got a friend who only let her dog sleep on the couch in the living room and the dog is never allow to step into any bedrooms.

My 14 weeks old corgi sleeps with me in the room. He mostly sleeps in the crate by the site of my bed. That was where he slept since I got him from day one. Since he's doing well with his house breaking, he occasionally sleeps on my bed by my side. That being said, he prefers his crate and would half the time jump off the bed and into the crate. :thumbsup:

Jet has his crate in our bedroom. He likes to be in the same room. But loves his crate. He knows its bed. I even try to let him sleep on my bed sometimes but he leaves to go to his crate! :thumbsup:

It doesn't bother me as long as he's happy.

My 14wk old sleeps at the bottom of my bed on top of the covers. Started him in his crate, and he did well until he got KC, then it seemed he would cough a lot more in his crate, still not sure if I imagined that or not.

Anyway put him in a dog bed on the floor but he'd get up and wee/poo during the night, so ended up with him on the bed, as he'd never go to the toilet there (so far anyway).

Now that his kennel cough has gone, I want to put him back in the crate, as he seems to need a good 20 mins of annoying me before he'll settle down ... lol.

Might start that tonight ... thanks for the reminder :thumbsup:

Edited by MsBex

Both of my dogs have their own bed/crate, but are always invited up with me. They only come when invited. Sometimes when i'm not taking a lot of notice my old girl will just stand at the end of my bed, rest her head on my mattress and fall asleep :laugh: ...Leo is still learning obviously..But he loves his bedtime cuddles and getting his tummy rubbed until he falls asleep...Yeh, just a little spoilt...

George sleeps on bed with us, has his own doona on top of ours, but he usually ends up snuggled into either my or my OH's back! :laugh:

Funny, the OH was dead against dogs on the bed, but George wormed his way into my OH's heart and now even if I'm away George still sleeps on the bed! :clap:

I personally think its whatever works for you and your dog!

My girl has slept in a dog bed on the floor next to my bed since she was a pup, she's always been quite happy there and never wakes me in the night nor has 'accidents.'

Now that she's bigger she can get on the bed with me when she's invited.

Works for us :laugh: x

Lestat sleeps on the bed, normally on my feet unless I kick him off in which case he sleeps on the lounge

Mistral sleeps next to me on the dog bed or by the front door if its warm

Alchemy was sleeping in the puppy crate but now she has no more overnight accidents she sleeps on the dog bed next to the book shelf or on the lounge with Lestat

Marlin cant make up her mind where to sleep! Started off in a washing basket beside me for first few days, then on floor beside me, usually on my clothes she dragged off the chair :laugh: Completely avoided any bed at night, just uses them in the daytime, crate bed is purely for eating on, outside trampoline for relaxing (daytime sleeping) rest of time is on the tiles in the living area. Lately she has been not coming to bedroom until wee small hours, or not at all, guess she is growing up, doesnt need mum unless the wind blows or something scares her :thumbsup: Although last night she decided to jump on us around 11.30, time to play :thumbsup:

My pup is 6 months old and has his pen set up in one corner of my bedroom. He loves going to bed and falls asleep straight away. Some nights he comes up on my bed and he's happy with whichever arrangement. All my dogs are welcome on my bed but Sarge only comes up when it's cold, Daina comes up every night even if it's hot (she steals the fan in summer).

In her crate in the living room. I'm a mean dog mummy. :) Plus I don't like being woken up at 3 in the morning by a mini malligator bouncing off the walls or chomping all my stuff.

She shares a tent or back of the car when we go out camping, though.

She has a bed next to ours where she starts out her night sleep, then at some point, makes her way on/in our bed. I don't mind, it's lovely for morning cuddles and wouldn't want to miss out on that lovely time in the morning.

Ours both sleep on the dog bed, they have one each but usually curl up together on the bigger bed. If the OH is away, then I let them both sleep on the bed with me, and they are allowed up for cuddles if invited. I quite like having them sleep on the bed with me, but a queensize bed doesn't comfortably fit 2 adults, a Husky, and a Great Dane (Especially since I'm already a bed hog)!

Our puppies are all crated until they are potty trained and dependable ( no chewing)........We also keep them in another room, lounge room, so that they do not become too dependent and cope with being away from us. Less stress for the dog in the future. Our dogs roam the house when they are well adjusted and behave.