Antihistamines

Miz J

Does anyone keep antihistamines on hand for local reactions to bee stings etc? Henry decided to have a play with a bee and of course he got stung in the mouth. Result one 7 month old boxer with a swollen muzzle!!! Trip to the vet for antihistamine. If anyone keeps any at home could they let me know what sort. It might be beneficial if I could get some into him straight away before we head off to the vet. He has a new nickname "meathead"

Thanks so much. I just worry because the brachycephalic nature of their heads could really be a problem ( here comes the nurse in me!!!) with airway patency due to the oedema. Fortunately his reaction is local but I am sure "meathead" will do it again so I better get prepared.

I usually keep Clarantyne tablets, but have also used polaramine and phenergen. Works out a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the vets.

My vet told me 1 tablet per 10 kilo's, but I usually find 1 tablet is sufficient for my 35kg bitch who just loves to catch bees!

I usually keep Clarantyne tablets, but have also used polaramine and phenergen. Works out a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the vets.

My vet told me 1 tablet per 10 kilo's, but I usually find 1 tablet is sufficient for my 35kg bitch who just loves to catch bees!

Has to be cheaper than the $73 !!! In saying that I would spend anything it took if I had to.

Has to be cheaper than the $73 !!! In saying that I would spend anything it took if I had to.

and, note: oral meds may not work fast enough ,if the dog has a severe reaction :wave:

Your quite correct and in allergy it often isn't the first exposure that is problematic, it's the second, third etc.

If oops when he does this again it will be antihistamine straight away. Thanks for all the helpful info folks I really appreciate it.

His face is less swollen now, hes a bit drowsy and cruising for some mischief

and, note: oral meds may not work fast enough ,if the dog has a severe reaction :wave:

Totally agree Persephone, I give tablets and if I don't notice an improvement pretty quick, or god forbid they got worse I'd be straight off to the vet with no hesitation whatsoever.

I use Polaramine for both me and Tango - and it will actually stop me going into anaphylactic shock - so they work pretty fast!! Wouldn't go anywhere without them in my pocket as Tango is highly allergic to Euro wasps. 1 tablet for either of us is enough.

Edited by TangerineDream

We now have a line - mother and daughters - that like to chase bugs and eat them :mad . Wasps are a particular problem for us. We now keep Claratyne and Zirtec on hand as well as in the car, just in case they get stung while off-site. Our vet told us that if one brand doesn't work, try the other type, as dogs react differently to different antihistamines, so one might work for one dog and not another.

The last time one of the girls had a reaction, it was in the house, no bees or wasps, so we think that she might have eaten a spider! I also used a cold facewasher on her swollen eyes to try to give her some relief while waiting for the drugs to kick in. We had to use both drugs for her eyes to return to normal from swollen little slits, but her muzzle was much faster.