Is This Too Harsh For A Puppy

Fin

I have been teaching my pup to 'stand by' and he is 18.5 weeks old.

What a great idea Spike :cheers: and also sounds like you're getting a terrific response from Caber.

Do you think this would work on an 18m.o. or is it a bit too late for this particular excercise?

I honestly cannot see any reason why this wouldn't work on an 18 month old. But having met Jessa, I would only start with very very short periods at a time, as I think it would half kill her to stay in one spot for too long hehe.

Start with very short periods of relaxation. When you watch Tv, pop her leash on, have her sit by your feet if you can- talk calmly "Goooood girl. Stay by (or whatever command you like)". ZLet her go to the end of a reasonably short leash- but no pulling or fussing. Encourage her to relax! Maybe give her a pigs ear or someother chewy treat. When she looks relaxed and happy with what she is doing- praise her and release her.

Gradually extend the time that she is settled down.

I have also started doing more 'active' things with Caber now that he knows what it's all about. I do it while eating my dinner, I do it while sewing, and that sort of thing.

I certainly don't treat Caber harshly when doing this with him- I also try to keep an eye on him so if he looks like he is going to get frustrated or 'break' I end it- so it ALWAYS ends on a high note.

I know it will definately come in handy when I start taking him out more and know that I can have him relax by me/under a table if I stop at a cafe or something.

It's something that I see as very practical training.

*of course, I am not a Dog Trainer nor do I have any qualifications, etc- but this is something that has worked for me and is what has been suggested by fellow Border Terrier & other breed owners. I NEVER use punishment, if it's not 'going right' I stop, do something that he knows and enjoys (stand up or roll over are his faves) then try again later. And I never do anything which I feel is unrealistic from a very active, jumpy puppy.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

:cheers::laugh::) You're absolutely right. Jessa is not one to stay still for long but that is one reason why I was impressed with this idea as you said that you thought it had a calming effect on Caber.

You've made some excellent points and I agree that it would have very practical applications.Definitely going to give it a try but starting off very slowly as you suggest.

Thanks Spike and apologies to Fin for the hijack.

Oh, and btw Spike - bit late at night isn't it? :rofl:

Hey, I just wanted to say firstly to Fin, good on you for asking! So often people don't ask questions about things they're not sure of because of the potential responses.....

which brings me to the second thing i wanted to say......

Fin is asking advice, no need to be so harsh (some people anyway)! At least Fin had the common sense to ask other dog lovers for advice, rather than keep going with something that didn't feel right!

Edited by keels

I had never heard of this method b4 but I must say I think it's too advanced for a puppy. I have a CD titled bitch, one who is nearly at title and a dog that is heading into novice in February and I wouldn't use this method on any of them. I'm pleased that you’re taking the time out to read about diff methods. At our club I find many students don't even read up on basic obedience, let alone any behavioral or advanced work.

If you're worried about leadership then just follow the basic principles. Teach the dog to wait b4 food, you going through a door first and general obedience, which you seem to have covered well.

If you’re a real book worm like me check out

Jan Fennell

Cheers Bec

Hello Fi n

Goon on you for checking..AND for starting training nice & early!!

Whilst I haven't heard of this ..it does seem VERY long for a baby.

We have dogs who are under nO illusions as to who's the boss...mainly what we do is just expect basic "manners"..like a NILIF approach.They really only get attention when they've done the :right" thing at the appropriate time.

Enjoy your baby while he's still that...

The Long Down is listed in 'Dog Training For Dummies (which I think is a very good book) as a way to manage aggression with a dog that is getting too pushy. It is not suggested in the book as a puppy training tool or a routine preventative measure.

I think your intentions are great, and encourge you to enjoy the puppy months.

Guest em si hsoJ

30 minutes! It'd be a miracle if I could get dante to sit still for 30 minutes....the longest I've ever been able to get him to stay was under 5 minutes. I havent really pushed for any longer but still...30 minutes....wow

I train assistance dogs and I have a dog that is about to graduate as a service dog. The longest I would ever consider asking HIM to stay is 10 minutes in a drop. I know he could do longer if necessary but that just makes the whole stay exercise - and in fact, training in general - a negative thing.

The absolutely most important thing you should be teaching your puppy now is "come". at 16 weeks of age my little pointer has a recall that would be the envy of many an adult dog. "Come" and whoosh - he turns around and runs at me full pelt - even when he's in the middle of a bone or a game with another puppy. That's because "come" has always meant "dinner time" or treat time for him. I will continue this routine until he's at least 6 months old.

By the way, at 14 weeks he could sit, drop, stand, come, heel nicely for a few metres on and off lead, stack for showing and sit stay/drop stay for 30 secs or so. SO... it is possible to have fairly large number of behaviours down pat by this age but the important thing to remember is not to expect the puppy to perform in the same way or to the same perfection as an adult, and also to train using 99.9% positives (unless the dog is doing something that might endanger his life, for example) and reward, reward, reward.

• 4 weeks later...
It was dog training for Dummies by the Jack and Wendy Volhard (who I think are reasonably well respected ??). Fortunately I only did this about 3 or 4 times before asking...

I have this book and didn't think much of it at all. There was a lot I wasn't happy with and after feeling good about myself for dissagreeing (it's the only way to know if you have an opinion!) I have put it away and not bothered with it. Just because people seem like an authority doesn't necessarily mean they have the best methods for you and your dog. There are a lot of trainers out there that will get you results without using any method you'd be comfortable with.

I have a 5 month old pup. I know the whole dominance issue can be a stress, but try to relax a bit more. You CAN be mates with your dog and still have a good dog. I have a great relationship with my dog. He has tried to put me in my place and the game ends there and he has to be alone. Eventually he realised that if he wanted cuddles and playtime, he had to show me respect and let me make the rules of the game. I love my pup to bits and he is always excited to see me. I am a dog trainer myself, but I always try to put my relationship with my dog above how he behaves. He will make mistakes, I will make mistakes. As long as we understand that we'll be just fine. I'm off to give him a belly rub right now!