Ridgeback Not Eating?

Rock*

Hey,

My 11 month old ridegback is not eating his food, the last couple of days he's been grazing over his food during the day, but today he's pretty much not eaten any of it. He's not acting any different to normal, he was over at a friends place and played all day like normal. I can't think pf whats wrong??

He currently on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive and has always hoed his food down like someone was gonna steal it.....

Does anyone have any ideas??? If it continues past tomorrow i'm gonna take him to the vet.

Cheers

Warren

Can I assume from reading this that you leave food down with him to graze on?

If so....stop it.

Put his food down at specified meal times (and at 11 months, it wouldn't hurt him to be on one quality meal per day) and if he doesn't eat it, take it away and don't feed him again until his next meal time.

If he is otherwise well, he will not starve.

If on the other hand, he is showing signs of being off colour, then yes, a trip to the vet is in order.

Ellz, I still feed mine twice a day at 2 & 7 because of the risk of bloat but do agree on the not leaving food down.

If he's otherwise fine try the only feeding at set times for a few days and keep an eye on him, if he doesn't start eating take him to the vet.

Bakari went off his food for a bit earlier this year I ended up changing food and he started eating it again - I don't know if he was getting bored with it or there was something else going on.

Good luck!

Kei goes off his breakfast occasionally. There's normally nothing wrong with him, he's just being picky or he's not really hungry. Often he's had a big meal the night before too :(

If he doesn't eat I just pick up his food and put it away then offer him a smaller meal that night. If he's hungry he WILL eat.

If there are other signs such as vomitting or diarrhea then off to the vet though. :rofl:

My standard poodle (the big guys-24kg) does this sometimes, but there's nothing wrong.

I take the food away and he's normally more hungry when offered it again much later.

If your dog's a healthy weight (lean, but not skinny, is fine) I wouldn't worry.

Just take food away and offer again much later in the day, or following morning.

Healthy dogs don't starve themselves. Does s/he get treats in training?

If any signs of being unwell e.g. tummy bit swoollen, diarhoea, vomiting, lethargy- off to the vet immediately.

Or if you're worried, I guess.

Fussy eaters are a PITA, so don't make one :mad .

Hey Warren - hows your boy going?? Is he eating again yet?

I would have to agree with the others here in recommending two meals a day (for bloat reasons) and to not leave food down for them to graze all day.

Hope your boy is fine!

Rat