How To Buy A Purebred Pup

poodlefan

I have found as a newbie to Australia that it was hard to find out which registered breeders are actually not producing stable, good dogs. Breeders are understandably reluctant to bad mouth other breeders yet that does mean that sometimes those *in the know* have very valuable information which is not available to newbies. I found that asking registered breeders who they considered to be good breeders with good dogs and then compiling a shortlist of the three breeders other breeders recommended worked brilliantly for me!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found as a newbie to Australia that it was hard to find out which registered breeders are actually not producing stable, good dogs. Breeders are understandably reluctant to bad mouth other breeders yet that does mean that sometimes those *in the know* have very valuable information which is not available to newbies. I found that asking registered breeders who they considered to be good breeders with good dogs and then compiling a shortlist of the three breeders other breeders recommended worked brilliantly for me!

Wow, what breed do you have??

And websites are a trap for the unwary. Some of them look fantastic - and the breeders aren't the ones you should be buying from. All the health tests look impressive, all the information (which they copied and pasted from elsewhere) looks great. But some great looking websites belong to some great breeders, buf if you don' know, you haven't any idea which is which.

Brooke said it - if a couple of breeders recommend a breeder, and give them a glowing report, go there. Ask people who have the breed where they got their dog, and if they are happy, go there.

PF, a code of ethics is not worth the paper its written on.We see example after example where a code is simply ignored. Tony

Do you think that because you have a coe you ignore?

A COE has been proven to be better than no code

Those who break it are not ignored by the CCs - they are usually dealt with, which can include removing their membership. It has happened, and it does happen.

Those people then may breed dogs without registration, and aren't required to follow any code of ethics, so they can do pretty well what they like. And most of them do.

There is nothing the ANKC can do about that.

The greatest number of dogs who are tested are registered dogs. As far as I know, non registered dogs, including working dogs aren't tested for anything.

And working dogs and non registered dogs have health issues and hereditary problems too.

If you don't test for anything, it's easy to claim you don't have anything, whether you do or not.

And the people who paid to have the tests developed are registered breeders, and only registered breeders, with some grants from research foundations, bequests etc. No other class of breeder has ever contributed a cent towards any tests at all.

Because unregistered dogs are not as visible, have no pedigrees which can be sent to universities, those problems are generally not recognized as a class. A vet may see a dog with a hereditary problem, but the information is not collated or disseminated.

And I thought this discussion, on a purebred forum, was to advise how best to buy a PUREBRED pup, not yet another registry/purebred dog bash?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First let me say I am not a breeder.

What about the responsibility of the puppy buyers? What about their responsibility to check the breed, check the blood lines, check the breeder. What about license to buy a pup?

In some counties in Europe you need to prove that you can financially support the dog, Pay for compulsory puppy school and training if you live in Metro areas. That can fix the pounding issue and most of the other problems.

You can not always put everything on the breeder. It is also your responsibility to check what are you buying, can you support that dog for 10-16 years, train spend time and a lot of other chores.

After the chores you can enjoy the unconditional love that only dogs and maybe you mother can give you.

In regards to the return policy:

Someone before mentioned warranty on product but you can not returned product because is not the right for you, or wrong choice or user fault is to blame or you broke it. Dogs are living creatures.They are not made. Breeders are not gods. Yes you can expect some guidance and help but first do your research. Learn more. Do the leg work.

Think buying a plant. Yes things go wrong but you do not go and blame always the flower shop.

I agree there are a lot of cowboys in the breeders camp but like in every camp.

Carefully choose find the one that you can trust.

Edited by Misha