Pet Friendly Accommodation

Ravyk

Feel free to add your recommendations for places to stay with your pooches, and I'll edit the first posts to add them. Feel free to add your own accommodation if you own pet friendly accommodation. The more the better!

Please rate the site out of 5 :laugh: and put a little about what you thought of it.

QUEENSLAND

Baffle Bob's Caravan Park, Bundaberg

Website

I stayed at 'Baffle Bob's Caravan Park' a few years back, it was excellent. It is just North of Bundaberg..take the road to Rules Beach.

Cabins, and caravans for staying in as well as tent and van sites. There is a boat ramp onto Baffle Creek so you can go fishin'.

Nola & Bob were great hosts! -Boronia

Camp Tailwaggers, Gold Coast

Website

Just make sure your tick preventative is up to scratch. -Mystiqview

Love Camp Tailwaggers

Went to the K9 force camp

The accommodation is excellent, the dog yard is secure.

I really really really loved the bushwalking tracks around the property (so did the dogs) - loved all the names esp Whippet Way he he

$150 for 2 nights - self contained

Wonderful view over Tweed Heads

Can't speak highly enough of them

Great training facility too

Off leash enclosed area for dogs to run -Neats

My OH and i took our four to Camp Tailwaggers last year for a short stay, and we loved it too! Our big dogs had a swim in the dam and then did the walking trails. It was pretty quiet when we went so we practically had the place to ourselves:) -Sabby

We stayed at Camp Tailwaggers in mid January this year. Unfortunately there was a big storm the night we stayed so we didn't see much outside the cabin.

For the $80p/n price tag this is a pretty good place to stay. Cabins are basic but clean and comfortable. Food bowls, water bowls and towels are provided for furry guests. There's a great view from the cabins as well.

For us the only disappointing thing was the dam which to me seemed more like a giant mud puddle (maybe expected too much). There were a couple of dried out toads around the edge of the dam as well which we had to remove before pup could relax.

A couple of things to note, the undercover carports were only just wide enough for our lancer so if you have a bigger car don't go when hail is expected (yes it hails up there).

Also, the kitchen is only equipped with very basic items, if you're planning on cooking meals, take your own oil, butter, salt, strainer, grater and microwave containers. -16Paws

Flanagan Reserve

Website

It's gorgeous out there, and surrounded by lovely views and mountains. Boo loved swimming in the river. Quite a few people with dogs, and even on the busy Australia day weekend there is enough space for everyone to spread out so you aren't on top of one another. No site allocation here - you just pull up where you want. If using a GPS to get there expect the roads not to be found unless you google earth the coordinates and put those in. -Kissindra-

Harmony Nature Retreat, Highland Park

27 Josephine Terrace

Highland Park, Queensland 4211

Website

This place is lovely if you are going away with one or two dogs. It is a little self contained cabin. The dog(s) are allowed to sleep inside and the people are extremely friendly. Kelza

Tambourine Mountain Caravan and Camping

Website

dogs allowed if you are staying at the powered/non-powered campsites with your own tent/caravan. Not allowed in the luxury pre-set-up safari tents but if your dogs are fine to sleep outside in a crate/pen I think they'd be fine with that. The owners have dogs and ask that you pick up poop and keep them under control either on lead or penned at all times and unless your dogs spend the entire time barking you wont have a problem. we had our own little campfire on site and most of the sites I saw had them, there is also a communal campfire site. They are happy for to collect your own firewood, bring a hatchet and you'll find plenty without needing to buy any. You can reserve a hotplate and other bits and pieces if (like us) you haven't yet managed to buy everything in BCF

we took along the bunning compost panels and made a pen around the entrance of our tent and reinforced it with tent pegs - too easy! They have showers, toilets, a kiosk with basic groceries and icecream/firewood/ice for sale plus a coin operated laundry.-Kissindra-

Thunderbird Park Creekside Camping

Website

also dog friendly

coin operated showers

Lots to do here - plenty of walking tracks through the rainforest, volleyball court, mining for thunderbird eggs, rock pools and waterfalls to swim in, horse trail riding, skywalk, adventure park, laser skirmish, all the lovely tourist schlock on tambourine mountain and you should head to http://www.beardeddragon.com.au/ for yummy pub food. There is a peacock that wanders the grounds, lots of scrub turkies (which our foster girl was very interested in) we were by a little pond and had a family of wild ducks with 8 adorable ducklings in tow sharing our camp site - bloody huge monitor paid a visit too, thankfully briefly

all very easy and good for families and those of us who like to have amenities close by, as well as those happy to "rough it" in beautiful surrounds.

we loved it, had a blast and can't wait to go back -Kissindra-

Tropic Tide, Toogoom :cool: :p :laugh: :laugh: :)

Website

Quiet dog friendly town about 20 minutes from hervey bay. House backs right onto water and every day when the tide goes out your dog gets to run around and play on the flats with hardly anybody in sight. Beautiful water, people, fishing. Just got back yesterday and will be going back for sure. All tiled or lino except bedrooms. Fully fenced backyard. -poodle proud

Woodford Farm Stay owned by a DOLer!

Website

Edited by Ravyk

NEW SOUTH WALES

102a, Bermagui

Website

An absolutely gorgeous big house in the bush near the beach. Dogs allowed, not meant to be inside but we found the owner very accommodating and friendly (he has a friendly lab). A gorgeous large yard and quite secure fencing (but not that tall). Some great off leash beaches in the area which are pretty deserted most of the year. -wuffles

Ballantine Estate, Wootton near Bulahdelah

Website

We stayed in the Dairy, really lovely - dogs allowed inside - big verandah, lovely views, very quite, hosts very welcoming, BUT no separate fenced yard/gates on the verandah - and stock around, so dogs on lead outside. We took a tie out/tether lead thing so we could bring the fur baby outside so hang out on the grass patch next to us and chew his bone while hang out in the spa on the verandah. -leo01

Giba Gunyah Country Cottages, Bemboka

I've plugged these folks before ... Giba Gunyah Country Cottages in Bemboka, near Bega on the NSW South Coast. An easy drive to Tathra Beach from there.

We've been going there every year since 2005 for our wedding anniversary.

There are two self-contained cottages -- the artist-built stone cottage and the pine cottage -- with fenced yards, wood fires, lots of trees for shade, lots of buried bones for happy dogs, the Bemboka River at the end of the driveway for a dip ... and a whole lotta peace and quiet

I can't recommend the hosts Ros and John highly enough. Lovely people, with a lovely, friendly chocolate labrador named Charlie

There are cows, dams, (contained) chooks, fire trails and all sorts of interesting smells for the dogs. Cats can stay, too.

Dogs are allowed in the cottages, but not on the furniture or in the bedroom areas. We always crate Jack in front of the fire when we stay. -Mooper

Glen Waverly, Glen Innes

Website

Lovely new cottage - dogs allowed inside - big verandah, lovely views, very welcoming hosts. Only downside, no separate fenced yard - and stock around, so dogs on lead outside. - or at least for my guys. -Tassie

Narrawallee Beach House near Ulladulla

Website

You only need to bring your clothes & food. Everything is supplied. Dogs allowed inside the only stipulation was you bring covers for the furniture if the dogs are so inclined. The only thing was the yard was said to be secure but I wouldn't leave my dogs alone in the yard if going out as 2 were wire & only a little over waist height.

There's even toys, books, videos, colour pencils & games for the kids. -luvsdogs

North Head, Moruya

Adjacent to dog-friendly beach.

Flush toilets+ pit/hybrid toilets.

Cold showers only.

Drinking and bore water.

Campfires with firewood from council caretaker (when doing AM and PM rounds).

Between the airport and the sea.

Very small airport and not at all noisy the weekend we stayed there.

$14 per night for 2 adults. -Poodle wrangler

NSW Ski Gardens, Hawkesbury River

1km out from Wiseman's Ferry, Sydney.

Website

Hey all! I can reccommend a GREAT water ski park if that's your thing!

Camping and day fees are extremely cheap, there are permanent concrete based shelters in the camp grounds with tables and power fitted, there's a sink for washing up (drains into a bucket!), the campgrounds are right next to the river which, at low tide has a small beach and best of all- they allow dogs!! So many ski parks in the Hawkesbury area do not allow dogs, so this was a great surprise. They also have cabins available.

Our dog loved it, and I absolutely loved having my dog with me- even on the boat!! -Cazwah

Pether Cottage, Talbingo

Website

We spent the weekend there with our great dane, greyhound and my parents with their Alaskan malamute.

The fences weren't very high, but our dogs aren't fence jumpers, so no problems.

The house was well equipped, you can hire linen or take your own. Games and videos/DVDs were available, and everything you could think of in the kitchen. Sleeps 8 comfortably, and probably 10 would be okay as well.

The dogs loved the walks, and there's lakes nearby for fishing and swimming. Close to Mt Selwyn as well, although I pobably wouldn't leave the dogs on their own. Little country town with a club, restaurant and general store.

We've been going camping in the area forever, so was nice to stay in a house this time. -Flashsmum

Riverwood Downs, Hunter Valley

Website

we stayed here (before had our pup tho - he actually comes from there tho) the place is great, plenty of accommodation options, restaurant is awesome, whole atmosphere is very relaxing -auir

Stormhaven, Mystery Bay [Owned by a DOLer!]

Website [Page 3 'Stormhaven']

Ok, I'm going to be cheeky and put in a plug for my holiday cottage at Mystery Bay NSW. It is situated between Narooma and Tilba on the far South Coast,

I went to Mystery Bay for a holiday two years ago and the entire area is so spectacular that I bought a place and plan to move there as soon as I possibly can. In the meantime I want to share it with other dog lovers.

There is a huge, fully fenced back yard. Dogs are allowed inside and all I ask is that you bring some coverings for the furniture and beds if your dogs are like mine and like to claim all the lounges.

You have your own beach four hundred metres away down a lovely bush track. It is off leash before 10 am and after 4 pm during peak season and off leash .24 hours for the rest of the year. A 10 minute drive to Narooma will bring you to more spectacular beaches which are off leash areas all year round. At this time of year humpbacks come right into Mystery Bay to play so bring binnoculars if you want to see them up close and personal

The main bedroom has a queensized bed, second bedroom has a double bed, and the third bedroom has a doule plus two single beds. It will accomodate 8 although at a pinch we can fit another on the sofa bed in the loungeroom. -Kaz

Tilba Waterfront Cottages

Website

Dogs not allowed inside when we stayed there (couple of years ago) but a nice place.

Clean, self-contained, near lake and good facilities- communal BBQ area with fireplace. -Poodle wrangler

Turon Gates

Website

We've stayed there a few times & enjoyed it & so have the dogs. You need to be self sufficient but Capertee is not too far away & there's a pub there. Incavale

Edited by Ravyk

VICTORIA

Abacus at Bright, Bright

Website

A nice little place, very modern, good for couples. Dogs are allowed inside. The yard is very secure (6ft colourbond) but only big enough for toilet breaks! You can't leave dogs unattended but they do have a dogsitting service. We took our dog everywhere with us, most of the cafes in Bright were very accommodating about eating outside with your dog. The cottage is only a 5 minute walk to the main street. We love Bright, there are so many walking tracks, a lovely river and it's a really beautiful city.-wuffles

Apollo Bay Holiday Park, Apollo Bay :p :laugh: 1/2

Website

The camping grounds were along an nice clean estuary and you could hear the ocean quite clearly. There were a few more secluded camping spots at the back which suits people travelling with dogs. Dogs must be kept on leash, picked up after, not disturb others and not left unattended. The park itself was in need of a bit of repair, large potholes in the road and not well signed sites but the grounds were nice, lots of trees and natural bushland backed the park. Showers were excellent, lots of hot water. A bit overpriced in my opinion [$22 for an unpowered site] and the owner wasn't particularly friendly or nice. -Ravyk

Apollo Gardens, Craigieburn

Website

Dog-friendly tourist cabins, with small fenced yard and verandah, and large off leash area (but need to be careful - plenty of roos). -Tassie

Avalon Retreat, Harrietville

Website

Very basic but affordable cottage accommodation. The yard is quite a nice size and is fenced but not completely secure. They do have a small kennel and running wire which would only suit small dogs. -wuffles

Best Friends Holiday Retreat, Tarra Valley

Website

:laugh:-crazy beagle lady

We stayed at Best Friends Holiday Retreat recently. It was the best place ive stayed with my dog, not bad for people either. Will definatley go again. Not many places that its against the rules to leave your dog outside. Big dog off lead excercise areas, untold toys. The owners were great too.. :cool: kelpiekaye

Countrywide Cottages, Otways

Website

We stayed there earlier this year. There are 4 cabins, and although not fenced, they are spaced well apart. The verandah of each cottage has lockable gates. Dogs are allowed inside and the owner supplies a couch cover. Very dog friendly and I think you can also take horses. Nice friendly owner. -KismetKat

Green Lake Public Reserve, Sealake :laugh::) :p :mad :mad

Map

Situated 10ks south of the town of Sea Lake, Green Lake Public Reserve is open for camping all around the lake. Both powered and unpowered sites [$6 a night] are available, as are showers [10c for 5mins of water] and toilets. Tracks around the lake are pretty good, but may pose concern if the weather is wet. Dogs need to be kept under effective control and picked up after. Campfires are allowed when it is not fireban season. Lots of bird life and water life inhabit the area, so perfect for people who like to get in touch with nature. The lake doesn't smell, nor were there a lot of insects when we camped. It is such a beautiful spot which we accidentally stumbled upon whilst driving in the area. -Ravyk

Kangadoodle, Rye

Website

A beautiful house that is very dog friendly at Rye, short walk to a secluded surf beach. -calypso

Murray-Kulkyne Park, near Colignan :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

Map

Part of the Hattah-Kulkyne National Park, the Murray-Kulkyne Park is no longer a state forest, meaning dogs are allowed [on leash]. Situated right on the riverbank, there are many places to camp. Best section for camping is the southern part of Murray-Kulkyne as the northern end is now along a dried up tributary. The main tracks are good, but strictly dry weather only, as are the 4WD tracks [which I may add are accessible in some non-4WD cars, we did it with a Commodore wagon]. There are some stunning spots to camp along the river, from sand right next to the water to up the bank amongst the gum trees. The wildlife is superb. We saw emus, roos, eagles, heaps of birds, frogs, shrimp, fish, whilst staying there. Campfires are permitted in non-fireban season and camping is free, except in two areas which have facilities [these are marked on the maps you get when you enter the park]. -Ravyk

Muxy's Place, Johanna :mad :mad :mad :mad 1/2

Website

If you are looking for dog friendly accommodation along the Great Ocean Road (Victoria) then I can highly recommend Muxy's Place.

We (3 Adults, 2 Kids and 3 Dogs) recently stayed here and we all thought it was great!.

It's located in Johanna, just off the Great Ocean Road. It's a massive house with a HUGE fenced (although not completely dog proof) yard. It's about a five minute drive to Johanna Dog Beach and a 30 minute drive from Apollo Bay and the 12 Apostles.

If you visit the website and see the front picture I can honestly say it truly looks this beautiful. Plus the owner is lovely and extremely accommodating.

Best of all they (unlike every other property I contacted along The Great Ocean Road) don't charge per adult, per child or per dog. It sleeps 8 and it's charged per night. Great value if there are a few of you going. -AussieDog

Paringa Cottage, Echuca

Website

This was a lovely place to stay - dogs allowed inside - fully fenced yard - outdoor furniture, even a BBQ. -Tassie

Edited by Ravyk
  • Like 1

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Baileys Beach House, Goolwa

Website

I stayed in a place called baileys beach house. Its in Goolwa in SA

built safe as houses... completely dog friendly to the point of bowls and treats provided!!! close to the beach bout 5 kms. Cheep too. can sleep up to 10/11 people in beds not including floor space you can use... I had a birthday party and had all guests stay with their dogs was lovely.

Cant recommend these guys enough!!!!!! -GoldiesRgr8Poodles2

Ceduna Cottage, Ceduna

Website

they were really good, There were a few gaps in the fence, but I just stayed outside with the dogs to make sure they didnt run off. HUGE amount of sleeping room! -Teebs

Getaway Cottage, Gawler

Website

We recently stayed [2007] at the 'Getaway Cottage' with both our dogs (Joey and Renae), and were very impressed and comfortable with our stay ! :)

The cottage was very cosy, well stocked, and the spa just completed it ! :p

The fencing is ideal for small dogs too !

We highly recommend this lovely place.

The 'Whispering Wall' is a must see while you are there (You are able to take your dog/s) -JulesLuvsCavs

[taken from here ]

Southend Caravan Park, Southend :laugh: :cool: :p :laugh: :laugh:

Website

Excellent place to camp with the pooches, very friendly staff and not too busy-Easter, Victorian long weekends and Christmas. Very decent prices [$6 per person, per night for an unpowered site]. Bookings non-essential except for the afore mentioned times. Dogs must be kept on leash, picked up after and not left unattended. They have two camping grounds, as well as the caravan park, a beach front camping grounds and a bush camping grounds. We stayed in the beach front camp sites, they were very neat and well maintained, and blended well with the natural coastal environment, some camp-sites backed onto lovely beach [over the sand dunes], whilst others were tucked more into the bush but still close to the beach. -Ravyk

Wuthering Heights, Clare Valley

Website

Three heritage-style cottages located well away from one another amongst rolling hills, trees and creeks.

"Wuthering Heights", a beautiful 75 acre (30ha) property just 6 kms north of Clare township, combines the best in Clare Valley accommodation. It’s peaceful and secluded, with easy access to a host of attractions.

Each bed-and-breakfast cottage is self contained and comfortably furnished, with stunning views undisturbed by any other building.

Dogs are welcome at Wuthering Heights, subject to prior negotiation, and each cottage has a securely fenced area, near or adjoining the dwelling. Dogs are also allowed inside the cottages. There’s plenty of space for children to run around, with no traffic to worry about. -Bully

Edited by Ravyk

ACT

Grand Manor Motor Inn, Queanbeyan

Website

If anyone is visiting the Canberra area I highly recommend the Grand Manor Motor Inn. They are very dog-friendly there, you can have your pooches in your room (provided they are "well behaved" biggrin.gif of course!) and they are even allowed in the swimming pool (salt plus chlorine but not too much). It's in Macquoid Street, Queanbeyan, 15 minutes' drive from Canberra. Owners are friendly, food is great. http://www.grandmanor.net.au/ We stayed there while looking for a house to rent and it was as close to a home away from home as you can imagine, and so good that our dogs were welcome. -Queanbeyanite

Edited by Ravyk

Victoria

Echuca (on Murray River - NSW border)

Paringa Cottage

This was a lovely place to stay - dogs allowed inside - fully fenced yard - outdoor furniture, even a BBQ.

Craigieburn - on the old Hume highway, just north of Melbourne

Apollo Gardens

Dog-friendly tourist cabins, with small fenced yard and verandah, and large off leash area (but need to be careful - plenty of roos).

New South Wales

Glen Innes

http://www.glenwaverly.gleninnes.biz/

Lovely new cottage - dogs allowed inside - big verandah, lovely views, very welcoming hosts. Only downside, no separate fenced yard - and stock around, so dogs on lead outside. - or at least for my guys.