Australian Terrier

Troy

The Australian Terrier

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=47 )

Group: Group 2 (Terriers)

General Appearance: A sturdy low-set dog, rather long in proportion to height with strong Terrier character, alertness, activity and soundness. Its untrimmed, harsh coat with definite ruff around the neck extending to the breastbone and its long strong head assist in developing its hard bitten, rugged appearance.

Characteristics: (Not specified.)

Temperament: Essentially a working terrier, but its loyalty and even disposition make it equally suitable as a companion dog.

Head And Skull: Long with flat skull of moderate width, full between the eyes, and slight but definite stop. The muzzle, strong and powerful, equal in length to that of the skull, which is covered with a soft topknot. The muzzle must be strong and not fall away under the eyes. Nose black, of moderate size, the leather extending to the bridge of muzzle.

Eyes: The eyes shall be small, oval, with keen expression, and of dark brown colour, set well apart and not prominent.

Ears: The ears are small, erect, pointed, well carried, set on moderately wide, free from long hair and sensitive in their use (puppies under six months excepted).

Mouth: Jaw strong and punishing, teeth large and evenly spaced, the upper incisors fitting closely over the lower (scissor bite), lips black, tight and clean. The length and strength of muzzle are essential to give the strong, punishing jaw.

Neck: The neck is of good length, slightly arched, strong and flowing into the well angulated shoulders.

Forequarters: The forechest is well developed, brisket relatively deep with forelegs well boned, straight and parallel when viewed from the front. Pasterns are strong, without slope. The legs are slightly feathered to the knee.

Body: Long in proportion to height, strongly constructed, with well sprung ribs and chest of moderate depth and width. The topline is level with loins strong and deep flanks. In considering the body, attention must be paid to the opening description, "a sturdy low set dog, rather long in proportion to height".

Hindquarters: Moderate length of quarters, broad with strong muscular thighs. Stifles are well turned with hocks well bent and let down. Viewed from behind they should be parallel from hock to feet, neither too wide nor too close.

Feet: Small, round, compact, well padded, toes closely knit and moderately arched. Turned neither in nor out, with strong black or dark toenails.

Tail: Preferably docked, set on high, and well carried, but not over the back.

Gait/Movement: The action to be free, true, springy and forceful. When viewed from the front, the forelegs should move truly without looseness of shoulder, elbows or pasterns. The hindquarters to have drive and power, with free movement of stifles and hocks. Viewed from the rear the legs from the hocks to the ground to be parallel, neither too close nor too wide.

Coat: The body coat consists of a harsh straight dense top coat approximately 6 cms (approximately 2.5 ins) long with short soft textured undercoat. The muzzle, lower legs and feet to be free from long hair.

Colour: Blue, steel blue or dark grey blue, with rich tan (not sandy) on face, ears, under body, lower legs and feet and around the vent (puppies excepted). The richer the colour and more clearly defined the better. Smuttiness is objectionable. Topknot blue, silver or a lighter shade than head colour.

Clear sandy or red. The topknot of a similar or lighter shade. Any dark shadings or smuttiness undesirable.

In any colour, white markings on chest or feet must be penalised.

Sizes: Height:

Dogs approx. 25 cms (approx. 10 ins.) at the withers

Bitches slightly less

Weight:

Dogs approx. 6.5 kg (approx. 14 lbs);

Bitches slightly less.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

Second time owner

Developed in OZ as a working terrier

Maybe the breeders may have a better estimate but I don't class them as rare, just not common

Around 12-15 years

Alert, energetic little dogs. Fun to live with having a charming personality. Their size is is compact, personality is jumbo sized. Can be quite tenacious if something has their attention.

I can't judge as our live on acreage and are out and about often through the day. I think I get tired before Oliver does.

The size of an Aussie makes them manageable but they are a determined dog and consistency is reqiured.

Again, can't say. Oliver has the capacity to keep himself amused but does so with constant company both human and canine.

Wash & wear dogs. A good brush a couple of times a week with minimal stripping needed.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I think the only time I would be concerned around small children is if the Aussie was treated like a toy. They are very much a "real" dog.

Again, breeders need to answer this one. From my research, however, they seem to be as healthy as they appear to be. Nice,robust little dogs

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is the relationship with the breed? (ie breeder,first time owner ect)

I own 2 Aussie terriers, & have bred 1 litter of puppies

2.Where & why was the breed developed?

The breed first originated in Tasmania in the 1800's as a working terrier (to hunt snakes & vermin ) & also as a companion pet.

3.How common is it in Australia?

Aussies are not rare in Australia, but they are not as common as they used to be in past years. Litter registrations have declined in recent years aswell as numbers in the show ring.

4.what is the average lifespan?

A very healthy breed that has an average lifespan of 12 to 15 years ( I know of an Aussie that lived to 19 )

5.What is the general temperement/personality?

I would describe the Aussie as being fearless, cheeky,charming, extreamly friendly fun loving clowns, very energetic & can be tenacious. They are also extreamly loyal & love to please. I find them very easy to live with.

6.How much dailey excercise is needed for an average adult?

I would say they would need atleast a half an hour walk a day, but I also live on acreage, so a little hard to tell. I do know that if for any reason I haven't been able to take them out they are very forgiving if you play & good game of fetch with them.

7.Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

It would really depend on the individual person. Aussies are very energetic busy & detemined little dogs that would certainly take over a household if let go. They do need a firm hand & consistency is required.They do like to dig & can be escape artists, so I would recommend all owners to have a secure yard & fencing.

However they are very intelligent & they love to please, so I do find them very easy to train, & they will & do thrive in most dog sports.

I would recommend all first time owners to enroll your puppy in puppy school & do some basic obedience training.

Once your Aussie has established you are the pack leader, they are an absolute joy to live with.

8.Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Yes they can, aslong as they have lots of toys to amuse them,aswell as something to chew on.

9.How much grooming is required?

A good brush a couple of times a week to remove hairs ( Aussies are low shedding)nails are to be trimmed, hair around the eyes, ears, bottom, paws ,ruff to be trimmed & maintained. For show dogs the coat needs to be stripped.

10.Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people ( unless the dog is well trained )?

As stated above I do believe an Aussie terrier needs a firm hand & basic obedience to get the best out of them. However they are extreamly affectionate & friendly & I find them to be fanstastic around children. I have 4 nieces & my Aussies adore them. I have yet to meet an agressive Aussie terrier, but like all breeds of dogs I do recommend adult supervision when children are playing with an Aussie terrier.

11.Are there common hereditary problems that a puppy buyer should be aware of?

The Aussie terrier is a very healthy, hardy breed & there is not really much hereditary or health problems within the breed.

As far as I know some breeders are now testing for Vonweilderbrands disease (blood clotting disorder) The Aussie can also suffer from Luxating patellas ,but this is not very common in the breed. Older Aussie terriers or Aussies that have become obese may develop diabetes, so it is recommended not to let your Aussie get too fat.

12.when buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask your breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

As stated above there is very little health problems with the breed. Make sure your breeder has got their vet to check the pups patellas before purchasing.

Also a good idea to ask your breeder about diet, (your breeder should give you a written diet chart ) & also ask them about worming/vaccination schedule.

Edited by Baileys mum

• 9 months later...

Since I love this breed so much I thought I'd add my two cents! :laugh:

I've had 2 Aussies growing up, Brutus and Poochie and am currently searching for my next Aussie puppy.

They were bred in Australia from a mixture of Terrier breeds to work on farms as herders and rodent hunters.

Unfortunately Aussies are not at all common in Australia, however, oddly enough they seem quite popular in the USA.

Probably about 12-15 years although Poochie was about 16.

Aussies are amazing little dogs with personality abounds. The best description is a big dog in a little dog's body as they have such drive and intelligence. They tend to define the Australian lifestyle and can be laid-back and also be loveable larikens (Poochie had a gorgeous habit of sitting sideways so you could almost picture her with a beer in hand). Aussies also love people and make the best companion and family dogs and are awesomely loyal and protective and I've found they are very tolerant of other pets (cats especially). I also agree that they are fearless, cheeky and extremely fun-loving!

Aussies don't require a lot of exercise but a 30 minute to an hour walk every day should be enough to keep them fit, entertained and fight boredom.

Aussies are highly intelligent and aim to please their owners, however, they can have a stubborn streak. I suggest a first time Aussie owner research the breed and talk to their breeder, but definitely give this breed a go!!

I'm not sure with this question. Poochie was an only dog, however, she was best friends with my cat Calypso and they were both often outside in each others' company for most days. When she was younger (before Callie), my 4 brothers and I (aged between 5 to 12 years) were often all outside playing games of soccer or handball, which she joined in (she had a habit of hogging the ball!! :rofl: ) so she was rarely left alone. But I guess you could train the dog to be happy by itself but seriously, why just have one Aussie? Two would be much better!! :laugh:

Not much grooming at all is required. Brush about once or twice a week and wash when necessary.

Not at all. Aussies love games and children and make the perfect family pet. All dogs require training and to learn acceptable behaviours and the key with Aussies is like Bailey's Mum said: they are not a "cute toy/handbag dog/baby" so don't treat them like one!

Not that I've come across. Our local vet has said that Aussies seem to be such sturdy, robust dogs that not much effects them. That said, both Brutus and Poochie went deaf with old age, but hey, humans get that too!! ;)

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be).

Since Aussies are so sturdy, there's not really much to ask in regards to hereditary health issues but I'd ask about diet, vaccinations and worming. Also, work out beforehand if you want your dog for showing or just as a pet. Poochie was only a pet because she had some white markings, which aren't conducive to the breed thus making her not show quality. I don't know just how much has changed with the breed in the 16 years I've had Poochie so I'll have to think of questions to ask the breeder I get my next Aussie from!!

• 10 months later...

QUESTIONS

My family have owned Australian Terriers for many years (40). I have two at the moment.

No idea....

Rare, hardly ever see any of them.

About 15.

Average terrier, likes to have a bark, chases mice and rabbits. Great personality, love them a lot.

I walk my boys for 30 minutes a day on a work day, and 90 minutes a day on the weekends. They like their exercise and have good appetites so need a walk.

Yes, they are pretty self-sufficient and require little grooming.

Depends on the dog. My eldest would be able to while the youngest needs company from either me or the older dog.

Maybe two brushings a week but nothing that much.

Not good for small children as I think they might get snappy if pestered. Great, great friend for an elderly person, maybe the best you could get.

My dog bought in 1981 was never at the vet, she passed at 16 and you couldn't ask for a healthier dog. Dog of 1992 developed diabetes at the age of 9 (passed aged 16) Dog of 1997 developed epilepsy at the age of 3 (passed aged 5).

My two current dogs have issues. The 6 year old has had bad arthrituis from 6 months old. He had to have the bones in his front leg taken out and grafted together as the leg was bending outwards (10 months old at the time) and now at age 6, his cruciate has gone in one back leg, while the other back leg is going as well.

The younger dog aged 4 is healthy but overweight at 14.8kgs and I just can't get the weight off him. At night, he eats a small half cup of diet biscuits, some grated carrot and 1/3 tray of My Dog (about 30 grams) and he is still weighty.

I would ask if their dogs have a history of diabetes, that is the main issue I am finding with Australian Terriers.