For The Dog Groomers

atua

Hi all,

I am mobile dog groomer and have been grooming for the last 2 years now.

Today I did a dog that was absolutely horrible. I mean it wouldnt let me clip its face or its legs and was biting. Now I dont believe in muzzling unless the dog gets serious. I swear I am never going to do this particular dog again as it is almost impossible. It puts itself in so much danger of being cut. It managed to get a hold of my wrist and did some damage. Luckily I am up to date with tetnus. Anyway I managed to finish the dog luckily.

I do have a question for the other groomers out there

When do you decide that enough is enough and you no longer accept the dog?

I am hoping to turn this thread into something like the breed sub forum. A place where we can all come and chat, share photos, vent and share tips etc.

I know you said you dont like muzzling but if you did it then it wont be able to bite so couldn't you continue doing the dog then?

I dont know what its like to be a groomer but just curious.

Well no not really because it will be the same things again I did not use a muzzle as I was trying to clip its face when it was trying to bite. It was also trying to bite around its legs which is not uncommon. This dog also would not stay still. I managed to finish the dogs face but it had to held in a headlock. This dog is a dog that really needs to be done under a GA at the vets.

I know you said you dont like muzzling but if you did it then it wont be able to bite so couldn't you continue doing the dog then?

I dont know what its like to be a groomer but just curious.

if a dog bites you and you are a groomer that is your livly hood at stake it is best to stay clear of dogs that bite the only solution is to be done at a vet

my self and my wife run a grooming salon and we would not do a dog that bites

i have sent dogs home if they bite not worth the trouble you could get hurt or worse the dog could get hurt especially if you are using sharp scissors and it trys to bite them

thats my opinion

Edited by ets

Whilst we don't usually do a lot of grooming (we only really want to concentrate on the boarding as I have bad wrists, they wouldn't cope with much more than the odd dog I groom now) I did do a Shih Tzu we had in staying with us last week. He desperately needed a clip - he was matted to the eyeballs and I now know why! I have never met such an aggressive, nasty little Tzu - he is the boss in their house and is not remotely scared - he has just learnt that biting & snarling gets him what he wants (ie no brushing).

He was pretty much OK as long as I stuck to his body, but as soon as I tried to do his legs/face/anything else he deemed undesirable he had no compunction in biting - and hard! I battled through and managed to get him done with no major injuries to either party (although not the prettiest clip I've ever done! :rofl: ) but it occurred to me as I was doing him - how do you deal with aggressive but small brachy breeds like Tzu's/Pekes etc? Obviously standard muzzles are no good - would a tape muzzle work on such a short nose? I also didn't want to risk impairing his breathing. Or is it just very rare for one to be this aggro? I know I've never met one like him before.... and whilst I know that they cannot do the same amount of damage as a bigger dog if they bite, I am still very much averse to being bitten by ANY dog! :rofl:

Thank goodness he was a one-off. I have three of my boarders I do on a regular basis, and they are all an absolute delight to do. That's enough for me!

Full time groomers deserve medals!! :D :rofl::laugh:

PS Anyone wanna groom a Shih Tzu in Perth? Only bites a little bit... :rofl:

:)

when one dog was handed to me on a lead and the other remained in the owners arms, I put my arms out to get the dog and as I was carrying it away it shrieked and p!ssed everywhere.. I said, 'I'll just do the one on the lead today"

owner treated the dog like a baby and I just thought if I cannot even get the dog into the grooming room it's just not going to happen

I'm quite happy to muzzle, if I see a dog starting to tense up on another table I'll tell the other groomers to wack a muzzle on it and then everyone gets calm again and you can get on with the job. And if I can't groom the face properly around the muzzle and using special holds I'd just apologise to the owner and tell them to start handling the dogs face more so it gets used to it, otherwise it will continue to look like this!

Thats exactly what I usually do as well in regard to testing their face. If i cant do there face then I will say sorry I cant do your dog. This dog today however would let me do the right side so I thought yep its a good one then nope it all went downhill very fast. I was so tempted to just say look I cant do it but I perserveered a bit longer and managed.

Do you do any little tests on the dogs especially if it is a new client?

This dog was a new client and I did the test around the eyes and he was fine but he was a number 10 all over. Poor little dog.

Anyway the joys of being a groomer. Its my own fault I got bitten but I needed to get his face done. I will muzzle a dog if it means business but some dogs just snap and dont try to get you where as the ones I muzzle are aiming to get me and get me good if you know what I mean?

Luckily most of the dogs are good.

PS Anyone wanna groom a Shih Tzu in Perth? Only bites a little bit... :eek:

Shih Tzu's are usually pretty good dogs to do. I have only ever done one feral shih tzu lol. I like their laid back temperment. Its like come on hurry up so I can just go home already :)

Shih tzus over here tend to have a meaner temperament to a lhasa.

If a dog air snaps at me, it will still get a muzzle on, I won't risk cutting the dogs face if it snaps at the wrong time.

I have a notice up that if a dog puts itself or the groomer in danger, then the dog will be sent home. I have only so far done this once with a dog that was a little shit in the bath trying to bite me (shih tzu!!!).

You can always tell a dog will be trouble when the owner tells you how good the dog was for a previous groomer and what a good job they did - yeah, so why have you had to go to a different groomer? lol

Shih tzus over here tend to have a meaner temperament to a lhasa.

If a dog air snaps at me, it will still get a muzzle on, I won't risk cutting the dogs face if it snaps at the wrong time.

I have a notice up that if a dog puts itself or the groomer in danger, then the dog will be sent home. I have only so far done this once with a dog that was a little shit in the bath trying to bite me (shih tzu!!!).

You can always tell a dog will be trouble when the owner tells you how good the dog was for a previous groomer and what a good job they did - yeah, so why have you had to go to a different groomer? lol

My dog had a really bad time with a really bad groomer, so she can occasionally snap during a groom. But I always use the same groomer, and I always warn them, and tell them they are welcome to muzzel her if they feel safer. They never use the muzzel and they never tell me that she has been any trouble, but I will not put them in danger, forwarned is forarmed, and honesty is a much better way to go.

Where I used to work we had a gorgeous little Shih Tzu come in and I was amazed when she was taken upstairs to the vet for sedation. She was the sweetest little dog until anyone tried to groom her and then she was all teeth and rage ! :)

My dog had a really bad time with a really bad groomer, so she can occasionally snap during a groom. But I always use the same groomer, and I always warn them, and tell them they are welcome to muzzel her if they feel safer. They never use the muzzel and they never tell me that she has been any trouble, but I will not put them in danger, forwarned is forarmed, and honesty is a much better way to go.

I recently had a new client bring in her fluffy who said 'she might snarl but she wouldn't ever dream of biting, she is all show' - the dog tried to tear Shmoo's arm off :) When the husband collected the dog he checked that we had muzzled as the dog likes to have a go - Um, why didn't your wife mention that??

I rarely muzzle, but don't have a problem with it. If anything most dogs calm right down and then let me do what I need to do. Better for both of us.

• 4 months later...

The dog probably had bad experience/harsh handling previously if it behaved like this the odd time it was done.

I would tell the owner they need to have it done every 4 weeks, for a good while, if they want you to continue.

That way the dog can learn to behave & that it can be a positive experience.

If they agree use the muzzle, firmness & gentle reassurance until the dog gives in & relaxes. It will get better.

If they don't agree it is just going to be the same no matter who does it.

We use muzzles when ever required & have no qualms about doing so..

We find the dogs that wish to snap/bite actually calm down once muzzled & that during the groom it can be removed for reward & put back on in any area there is the slightest tinge of biting.

In the18 yrs of being a full time groomer i have never been bitten.

Certainly had dogs that make it difficult & you learn to use different body positions or tools for the job,being creative about how to complete the job is often the trick.

We have only had 1 dog we refused to do again & it wasnt due to bitting but the over all behaviour & the enormous size,wasnt prepared to risk the damamge from this dog

Hi all,

I am mobile dog groomer and have been grooming for the last 2 years now.

Today I did a dog that was absolutely horrible. I mean it wouldnt let me clip its face or its legs and was biting. Now I dont believe in muzzling unless the dog gets serious. I swear I am never going to do this particular dog again as it is almost impossible. It puts itself in so much danger of being cut. It managed to get a hold of my wrist and did some damage. Luckily I am up to date with tetnus. Anyway I managed to finish the dog luckily.

I do have a question for the other groomers out there

When do you decide that enough is enough and you no longer accept the dog?

I am hoping to turn this thread into something like the breed sub forum. A place where we can all come and chat, share photos, vent and share tips etc.

We have NEVER turned aw y a dog to date!:) i am so proud of that fact :) we have been very lucky - there was one... but we managed to work with him and now he is an angel and i ask paw? and he hands it to me... this same dog took 3 of us to pin down just to trim his feet... he is the size of a shih tzu... I would only turn the dog away or refuse if the dog was clearly making itself unwell - if the dog is making itself sick then i would say noway it better for the dog to be sedated, otherwise i take my time i have been known to spend a few minutes one the dog and then putnit away and come back later took all day in lilttle bits and pieces but her it worked and the owner was rapped :)

Whilst we don't usually do a lot of grooming (we only really want to concentrate on the boarding as I have bad wrists, they wouldn't cope with much more than the odd dog I groom now) I did do a Shih Tzu we had in staying with us last week. He desperately needed a clip - he was matted to the eyeballs and I now know why! I have never met such an aggressive, nasty little Tzu - he is the boss in their house and is not remotely scared - he has just learnt that biting & snarling gets him what he wants (ie no brushing).

He was pretty much OK as long as I stuck to his body, but as soon as I tried to do his legs/face/anything else he deemed undesirable he had no compunction in biting - and hard! I battled through and managed to get him done with no major injuries to either party (although not the prettiest clip I've ever done! :( ) but it occurred to me as I was doing him - how do you deal with aggressive but small brachy breeds like Tzu's/Pekes etc? Obviously standard muzzles are no good - would a tape muzzle work on such a short nose? I also didn't want to risk impairing his breathing. Or is it just very rare for one to be this aggro? I know I've never met one like him before.... and whilst I know that they cannot do the same amount of damage as a bigger dog if they bite, I am still very much averse to being bitten by ANY dog! ;)

Thank goodness he was a one-off. I have three of my boarders I do on a regular basis, and they are all an absolute delight to do. That's enough for me!

Full time groomers deserve medals!! :laugh::clap::laugh:

PS Anyone wanna groom a Shih Tzu in Perth? Only bites a little bit... :rofl:

Cat muzzels or an elizabethian collar for dogs with a lack of face hehe works a treat once u learn to work aroung the implament hahaha

The dog probably had bad experience/harsh handling previously if it behaved like this the odd time it was done.

I would tell the owner they need to have it done every 4 weeks, for a good while, if they want you to continue.

That way the dog can learn to behave & that it can be a positive experience.

If they agree use the muzzle, firmness & gentle reassurance until the dog gives in & relaxes. It will get better.

If they don't agree it is just going to be the same no matter who does it.

+1!!!! i believe that that a dog should enjoy being groomed and feel like it is being spoilt rotten with soo much cuddles and hugs from all the people at the groomers salon it shouldnt be a horrible experience that the dogs hates, it just makes life harder for u and the dog and nobody wants that.

Patience is the key for grooming - i never used to have it until i started working with dogs now i can be known to be a saint hahaha

And most of all try to remember that it isnt the dogs fault that it hates being groomed... its the owners or a past groomer, or dodgy breeder...etc etc

Dogs can always improve :)

Some dogs unfortunately are so damaged from previous grooming experiences that there is nothing you can do besides tranq. kirst_goldens, you sound very lucky, I'm quite jealous that you've never had to turn away a dog!

My old boss used to accept all the 'reject' dogs, attempt to groom them and put herself into a tizz over it, haha. We had one little malt x that had been fully whacked by her previous groomer and she came out fighting. Muzzling her made her worse. The only thing that would calm her down was cradling her in your arms, cooing at her, treating her like a little baby. Too bad the salon was a 'money first, happiness second' kinda place (I'm sure most of us have been lucky enough to work at such a salon in the past :laugh:)

Inexperience can freak a dog out too. One bather we had who hadn't been doing it for very long was being quite rough with an elderly beagle - I and another groomer ran up to get her the eff away from the dog and she turned around and bit me. I nearly died as a result of the infection (it was a bad, bad bite) :rolleyes: The boss had nothing to say about it.

Since I've been working for myself (in a sense) I haven't come across a plain nasty dog. It has been glorious! It's been amazing to learn just how much dogs respond to being groomed in a low-stress environment and how even the most snappy dog will eventually calm down once it learns you aren't a threat.

:)

PS: is anyone else absolutely in love with laube blades? I kinda hate the wahl and oster ones now...