Pit Bull "discussion" On 3aw This Morning

greytdog

Neil Mitchell, carrying on from Ross & John this morning, is carrying on a hate campaign on 3AW this morning due to the "pit bull" attacks where a man had his hand held by the dog for over 20 mins. Wouldn't let go until euth. Also a dog killed, dog injured, and cat killed.

The Pit Bull Owners Association (whoever they are) has done a runner and do not want to be interviewed, after initially agreeing to do so.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in Melbourne... He's obviously talking about other stuff too, so you might need to wait for more info if you switch on.

ETA: edited to clarify title.

Edited by greytdog

Forum Regular

Member No.: 11,146

QUOTE (ijdavis 2.0 @ 19th Oct 2009 - 10:50 AM)

QUOTE (APBT @ 19th Oct 2009 - 10:19 AM)

hand held by the dog for over 20 mins. Wouldn't let go until euth

all they needed was a break stick.

Yes, silly people, why didn't they reach into the ambulance and just grab it.= sarcasm at a realy bad time.

Cause ambos know all about dog fighting. Like some people on this forum. = very smart comment, thanks for the extra negative thoughts.

come on guys thats a bit harsh, anyone who knows anything about the apbts history knows what a breaking stick is, and any apbt owner should own one, and no its not because you will use it regularly its just incase. and by the reaction that you have even you know what it is.

i agree not the most sensitive of comments , but for the police to be standing around while the dog holds his hand, is just stupid.

what about the poor guy and his dogs?

i agree not the most sensitive of comments , but for the police to be standing around while the dog holds his hand, is just stupid.

The police weren't just standing around - they were lying on the dog, immobilizing it.

I would love to know the names of these so called experts....What people don't realize is that all things being equal (dogs brought up badly) the guard breeds in general pose a greater threat than the DOG fighting breeds. They have been kept under the radar due to the pitbull hysteria and because they are not considered by the general public as being "ugly". I would rather have a pitbull latched onto my hand than a Guard Dog type breed around my throat. In my years of experience with dogs I have received more bites from small white fluffy s than big dogs. However big dogs do more damage quickly. I am not trying to draw attention to guard breeds (unfortunately their turn will come), just trying to put a real perspective on the pitbull hysteria.

Years ago my cousins child was badly bitten by a Lab Cross. Did it make headlines? no - it wasnt a pitbull? no body cares . however her face is scarred badly - that could have been potentially fatal. The pitbull? bites hand incident - no way could it have be fatal but it makes headlines. 3 years ago I was attacked by a german shepard, recieved multiple bites fending the dog off. Did it make headlines? no. I was attacked by an Australian Terrier at the age of 9. I was very seriously bitten, the dog just missed my neck and ripped my left pectorial muscle nearly clean off, It held me for about 5 minutes. Did it make headlines? No. I have the scars though.

Many dogs bite and hold, its more of an attribute of the dog rather than the breed. You find some extreme alpha type dogs of any breed will grab and hold and not let go. To get the dog off, all that is required is to reach around the dogs neck and squeeze the dogs wind pipe HARD with your free hand. The dogs instinctive reflex (die due to lack of oxygen or let go) takes over and will let go after a couple of minutes. Yes i have used this technique, but admittedly not on a pitbull type. However i have never been bitten and held by a pitbull type (after 35 years experience with many breeds including many pitbull types)

Whoever represented the EDBA on 3AW had too many red jellybeans that morning. Neil rippped him apart because while he was trying to do his best to defend, he lost the plot - quite a bit.

Neil quotes that in America during x date pitbull TYPES were responsible for over 50% of dog attacks. What should have been the response is that TYPES is an unquantified number (it includes cross breeds as well) and could easlily represent greater than 50% of the total dog population as a huge number of breed including cross breeds were called pitbull type during the study and that is stated on the study.

People attacking the breed allways swing between the use of Pitbull TYPES and Pitbull BREED, using TYPE statistics to justify the elimination of the BREED. Only those dogs with papers should ever be classed as BREED, the rest must be classified as UNKNOWN otherwise its statistically invalid. The figures are quite different when using these statistics.

looks like Australia is going the way of Europe. Ban all fighting dogs first, then ban guard breeds, and then ban dogs over a certain weight. The reality is that the amount of deaths and injury due to dog bites is a very low statistic compared to all other things that can kill you statistically during the day. Yet we ignore the real dangers - violence on the streets, drugs etc. Any one of these individually posses 100s of times more of a threat than a whole city full of roaming pitbulls. Yet the media highlight it, people who know NOTHING about the breed react and bingo. Innocent pets die. We are turning into the NANNY NATION focusing on incidental crap and ignoring the real issues.

Hugh worth is not a dog behavior expert yet he claims he knows all about the breed. I will not deny that you need to have experience to bring up an alpha pitbull properly. But this applies to about 20 other power breeds as well. Any experienced dog behaviorist share the same opinions about pitbulls - They are just dogs. They are a power breed. They need an experienced owner like all power breeds.

Brumby is for BSL. He has been since day 1.

Forum Regular

Member No.: 11,146

QUOTE (ijdavis 2.0 @ 19th Oct 2009 - 10:50 AM)

QUOTE (APBT @ 19th Oct 2009 - 10:19 AM)

hand held by the dog for over 20 mins. Wouldn't let go until euth

all they needed was a break stick.

Yes, silly people, why didn't they reach into the ambulance and just grab it.= sarcasm at a realy bad time.

Cause ambos know all about dog fighting. Like some people on this forum. = very smart comment, thanks for the extra negative thoughts.

come on guys thats a bit harsh, anyone who knows anything about the apbts history knows what a breaking stick is, and any apbt owner should own one, and no its not because you will use it regularly its just incase. and by the reaction that you have even you know what it is.

I don't think the owner was there, and I doubt the police had time to go google how to get a pitbull to let go of the guy's hand.

Have we learnt nothing since the introduction of BSL ?

The "any dog can bite", "Guard breeds are worse than Pit Bulls", "Pit Bulls are misrepresented by the media" , "I've been bitten by a little fluffy dog" ,arguements have NOT worked in the past and are not going to be an effective strategy in the future.

Mita has posted plenty of information , which spells out in no uncertain terms in which direction a successfull anti-bsl campaign must head.

im sorry i just thought the comments were counter productive.

i wouldnt expect the police to have a breaking stick, but i would expect a better response for such an issue.

i am sure they did what they could do with what they knew, its just a shame that poor guy had his hand in there for that long.

the dogs owner was there for most of the incident by the reports i have read, but not being there i wouldnt know.

i was just wanting to point out that negative reactions to peoples posts are not realy helping and we should be having a better discussion on here more than anywhere. dont you think?

if someone posts something thats plain stupid just ignore it, they will soon stop posting.

we all know that forums are a place that attract people who sometimes just want to stir the pot and reacting is what they want.

looks like Australia is going the way of Europe. Ban all fighting dogs first, then ban guard breeds, and then ban dogs over a certain weight.
That'd be interesting, when no one can even get a handle on just 1 breed they would try it on 50 more or so lol. Thats enough to bust the bank balance of any state. Bit like the unwinnable everlasting 'War on Terror' LMAO.

and what would you suggest "us pittie owners"do? i am the first to agree that my chosen breed is infected by d++++===d owners, and this wont change in a hurry

and this is the major problem the problem is not the decent owners like us.

Edited by chrisjc

I listened to much of this 'discussion' yesterday, and I have to say that the professional dog trainer/pit bull owner who rang in to defend the breed did absolutely NOTHING for his cause.

He came across as most unknowledgable and as one of those D+++===S you speak of.

Where the hell was the Owners Association???? God if there was EVER a time they should stand tall it was THEN!

No favours done to the Pit Bull by Pit Bull owners here..... :confused:

and what would you suggest "us pittie owners"do? i am the first to agree that my chosen breed is infected by d++++===d owners, and this wont change in a hurry

and this is the major problem the problem is not the decent owners like us.

We've all done this discussion a million times and suggested what pittie owners should do to fight BSL. But a lot just pull out the "it wasn't a pitbull", or "they don't bite people". Until they admit that yes, sometimes pitbulls bite people and go after those irresponsible owners and comply with the laws nothing will change. Every unregistered pitbull that attacks is perpetuating BSL, and some on here are proud of the fact they break the law. We all agree it is a stupid law, but if breaking it is the way to go, why is BSL becoming more firmly entrenched?

Discussion a little while ago, some people suggested dressing the dogs up in fairy wings and calling them cutesy names etc to show they are not evil, it was poo pooed. Better to be rebels and lose your dogs I guess :thumbsup:

i agree with you one hundred percent. and it makes all of us look like idiots.

in the presidents defence, i think it would be safe to say that he has been bombarded with a lot of negative reaction and i would assume that after twenty four hours plus of being hounded to have a say only to be used as a scapegoat for the real issue hes probably being quiet. i know i would.

i would like to know the latest news on wheather this owner is going to pay for what these people have gone through.

as an owner of one of these dogs, i am happy to keep on going the way i have for years, do the right thing by myself and the dogs, i will let my apbt go on changing one persons opinion at a time.

i agree with you one hundred percent. and it makes all of us look like idiots.

in the presidents defence, i think it would be safe to say that he has been bombarded with a lot of negative reaction and i would assume that after twenty four hours plus of being hounded to have a say only to be used as a scapegoat for the real issue hes probably being quiet. i know i would.

i would like to know the latest news on wheather this owner is going to pay for what these people have gone through.

as an owner of one of these dogs, i am happy to keep on going the way i have for years, do the right thing by myself and the dogs, i will let my apbt go on changing one persons opinion at a time.

That is the best way, be a good owner and let your dogs show people they don't need to be exterminated.

davis , i see where you are coming from, trust me.

it is the same idiot owners that are causing the problems though.

in defence of the statement, that its not always a apbt, its true, a very high % are misidentified , but i think its stupid to say they wouldnt bite, as we all know any dog will bite in the wrong situation.

i would say i am sceptical that it was a purebred apbt because of the size of the dog but i would in now way be suprised if it was a pitbull cross, which seems to be a trend among the idiots out there.