Earwigging On A Convo At Work About Pitballs

Heidii

most of us probably heard what happed on the weekend when a "pitball" attacked a mans dogs and latched on to his hand for up to 20 minutes.

I heard my boss telling people that when pitballs bite that they actually cant let go...that their jaw actually locks on and even when they are dead you cant get them off???....is this true???? :laugh: ....one person followed on by saying well they ARE attack dogs, thats what they are bred for....

Dogs do not have "lock jaws", it's a myth.

Some have a head construction and muscles, when combined with a tenacity, makes for a powerful bite and grip. However, it is certainly NOT a lock jaw

American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, should not be human aggressive, it is highly undesirable in any of the three breeds.

most of us probably heard what happed on the weekend when a "pitball" attacked a mans dogs and latched on to his hand for up to 20 minutes.

I heard my boss telling people that when pitballs bite that they actually cant let go...that their jaw actually locks on and even when they are dead you cant get them off???....is this true???? :laugh: ....one person followed on by saying well they ARE attack dogs, thats what they are bred for....

Total rubbish, there is know such thing as lock Jaw.

Maybe one of them might like to google the history of the breed.

They were never bred to attack people. A dog fighting dog that cannot be handled by people is a liability.

A little education would stop this kind of discussion dead in its tracks.

Dogs have strong jaws. Thats why we can play tug with them. I'm not sure I could get something off one of my poodles or the whippet if they really wanted to hang on to it.

I wish i could of interupted the convo to tell them otherwise but it was my boss in his office with some of the other managers. I didnt think lock-jaw could have been true :rofl: ...everyone was like OMG really....

Most times i speak up in the office about dog affairs but then there are people who of corse know BETTER than me and EVEN TRY AND TELL ME MY DOG IS ACTUALLY A BORDER COLLIE not a rough collie :mad ...and then one person even said....NOOOO its actually called a LONG HAIRED collie. :laugh:

did anyone ever see the episode of the People's Court when the judge was dealing with a supposed "pit bull attack" - she raved on them as "killing machines" then the numbnut lawyer that does the interviews in the crowd announced that "pitbulls have an enzyme that causes them to lock their jaws" WTF? Bloody idiot.

Its amazing how many people believe this one - and just cant be convinced that its rubbish! Sometimes it makes me wonder what people think happens if an APBT is crossbred with another dog - does it retain its so called 'locking jaws' then? :)

I completely understand your reluctance to get into an argument with your boss on the issue :laugh: After 5 or 6 years of explaining the 'myths' to people over and over again I get so so tired.

It makes me really sad and I wish I knew where to go next to help educate more people. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I could get something off one of my poodles or the whippet if they really wanted to hang on to it.

A little off topic, but still to do with the strength of dogs. If my 6kg Jeune decides to stop dead to sniff at a blade of grass, I can be almost pulled off my feet.

If a poll were taken, I think you would find that most people (generally speaking) believe that staffy breeds have jaws that lock. :confused: :D :) I did too, once. Why? Because I was told and it didn't occur to me to investigate further.

did anyone ever see the episode of the People's Court when the judge was dealing with a supposed "pit bull attack" - she raved on them as "killing machines" then the numbnut lawyer that does the interviews in the crowd announced that "pitbulls have an enzyme that causes them to lock their jaws" WTF? Bloody idiot.

Tetanus-enzyme! haw-haw-haw

Sorry couldnt help myself :confused: