Brumby Gives Councils A Licence To Kill Dogs

tybrax

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/brumby-gi...o-1225788517614

Brumby gives councils a licence to kill dogs

Kelly Ryan, Ashley Gardiner From: Herald Sun Tue Oct 20 00:00:00

PREMIER John Brumby has given councils a licence to kill unregistered dangerous dogs found roaming the streets.

The new legislation, which will allow dogs to be destroyed without owners having the right to appeal, will be introduced in Parliament next year.

Meanwhile, sterilising and caging all American pit bulls and pit bull types is the only way to protect Victorians from killer dogs, experts warn.

Lost Dogs' Home chief executive Graeme Smith said the new laws flagged by Mr Brumby would offer little public protection.

"The number of declared dangerous dogs known to and registered by authorities is the tip of the iceberg compared to the number of dogs with the potential to turn killer," Dr Smith said.

"There are about 10,000 dangerous pit bull terrier types in Victoria but only 277 are registered as a restricted breed.

Bonnie Norton: Breed bans are not the way to go

.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"The only way of preventing people and other defenceless pets from being attacked and killed by pit bull-type dogs is to declare all of them a restricted breed. Not just the pedigrees but any dog with any part of the breed in it.

"That will then lead to stricter controls of their movements and reduce the likelihood of further attacks."

Mr Brumby said yesterday he would remove avenues of appeal that had seen dangerous dog laws neutered.

"If there's a dangerous breed, if there's a restricted dog, and it's running along the street, with no collar, and not muzzled, that dog will be taken in by council and put down," Mr Brumby said.

Last year, about 20 dog owners successfully appealed on tenuous grounds, he said.

Dr Smith said owners of restricted-breed dogs got around laws requiring them to register their pets by claiming their pet was a cross-breed.

"Declaring them all restricted and toughening up controls on restrictions could see them kept inside or in a pen or cage on their own property, be muzzled and leashed when they are not," he said.

There was widespread outrage and horror after a marauding dog left a man badly bitten, one of his dogs dead and another maimed, a pet cat killed and a young girl traumatised by another attack on her dog on Sunday night.

RSPCA chief Hugh Wirth said news of the attack came as no surprise to him.

"The American pit bull is lethal because it was a breed developed purely for dog fighting, in other words killing the opposition," Dr Wirth said.

But the American Pit Bull Club of Australia has defended the breed, blaming misidentification of the dogs involved in an incident or negligent, reckless owners rather than the dogs themselves.

"I have never, ever met one that is aggressive to humans. A child who sticks its face in front of a pit bull is going to get it licked," said club secretary, Bonnie Norton.

tybrax

Yes we wouldnt want our dogs mistaken for the killer demon breed now would we?

Another attack with no proof it was an American Pit Bull Terrier.

Has anyone seen pics of the supposed dog?

The guy could have been a RSPCA paid actor for all we know

But yet again the state canine clubs all agree its the best thing by bending over and cutting a breed loose to save theirs

Easier to run to the hills rather than get their breeds caught up in the hysteria.

This could be stopped if every dog breeds club in Australia stood firm and said NO WE WONT ACCEPT THIS!

But no, its not a registered or recognised breed!

Its about to affect your breeds too

Its still a dog damn it!

If the EDBA and APBT club hadnt let personalities and egos clash for the spotlight we could have ALL stopped bsl!

The RS(Peta)A have won the war!

I remember asking the German Shepherd club of Aust for help in saving the APBT, only to be told they wouldnt lift a finger to help, virtually told to F off!

Flame away, someone needed to say this!

Scott

I understand that BSL is not the answer - i'm only supporting the destruction of actual dangerous dogs who have attacked wothout provocation. BSL is bulllshit and taking things way to far, but individual dogs who have a proven incidence of attack without provocation should be destroyed.

Anyone been rushed by a stray off any breed? i'd personally shoot the bastard nyself. If it's unreg, found wandering and rushes or attacks, it doesn't have a home that cares and having already caused trouble, well fair enough. Flame me if you must but i was attacked by two wandering cattle dogs (who were in fact known menaces reg with the council in which this incident occured in northern nsw) when i was five months pregnant crossing the road to go to the bakery of all things. Bastards bit me and knocked me to the ground in a busy street - not only had i been bitten and scared half to death, a car had to brake heavily to avoid hitting me. Needless to say the dogs were destroyed that very afternoon.

Im all for a hard line on actual dangerous dogs but will always promote an indivdual case basis rather than a breed issue.