In Need Of Behaviourist

I can't sleep. Having panic attacks about tomorrow.

She's giving in to being sick. It's like now that we know she's sick she can stop pretending that she's ok. She was a lot less nasty to our our dog today, but slept in her crate most of the day and didn't want to go outside to play with her ball.

She's also panting more and drinking more tonight. She's still got an appetite though.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just left her at the vet. She didn't want to stay! The poor nurse had to carry her out the back. Daisy also had a go at the vet greyhound. She's lost almost a kilo in 2 days. They gave me info on Cushing's disease which is the opposite of Addison's? Either way I'm very scared :laugh:

We've had a huge change in her behaviour over the last two days. I'm making her rest and sleep for most of the day and she's being her old self with our other dog again, until she gets tired again. She's so frustrated about all this resting though.

The conjunctivitis may well be a result of her illness- her immune system could be not working well at all :laugh:

Wash out her eyes with cool black tea a few times a day..that may help her, poor thing.

Hopefully you will have 'something' to treat soon, and she can work on getting better!

Geez PAndaGirl - sorry to hear you are being put through the wringer.

I really hope for your girls sake and your own you get some results soon. Do remember that soemtimes test just rule things out, not in. It can get very frustrating, especially when your girl is so obviously unwell.

Try not to feel guilty, dogs are very good at hiding their illnesses.

Good luck and I really hope you get some answers very soon!

Got the results back, not Addison's. They want to test for some more things though. It's just getting tough financially to keep testing. She's changed heaps in the way she's been lately, but it's because I've been making her rest most of the day so I don't know.

Well that's a good thing...at least it's ruled that out. Did they give you any indication into what they will be testing for next?

I know full well how expensive blood tests and everything involved costs. It's times like these when you wish you had insurance for your dogs. Hopefully they will find something which is easily treated with simple meds....fingers crossed for you PandaGirl.

Sorry to hear that PandaGirl. I hope you have some answers very soon.

Try to keep in mind it is not your fault and you are doing everything you can to help your girl, she is very lucky to have you.

Maybe try and find someone to chat to that understands how we feel about our animals and what they mean to us and have a chat with them.

Sorry I cannot do more

The aggression has started again. How do I not let it affect my depression?

By reminding yourself that you are doing what you can to work it out - you should be happy that you are a responsible enough dog-owner to know to do this.

I'm interested also to know what 'other' things is your Vet testing for?

Edited by Erny

Thanks you guys

Erny, my Vet said there was some thyroid issues she could test for. She's also suggested trying the feliway pheromone unit as a way to calm the house down. Right now I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

I did think (as I suspect Kelpie-i might have also) "thyroid". I don't want to confuse the issue, but if I was going to test for thyroid (which I have done with my own boy) I'd get the bloods drawn and sent to the USA. What they test for and their analysis is far more thorough than ours. If the Aussie tests came back positive, that's all well and good, but if they came back negative I wouldn't trust them enough to be able to take them for granted. And the ranges the Aussie analysts rely on are VERY loose by comparison to OS. Cost of the USA tests (including international courier) are around $200 AUS.

Speak to your Vet about it and if you would like more info let me know.