Our Labrador Puppy Is Coming On Friday!

ivory_kitten

Hi Elle

I agree with others, and you should be very careful about buying a pup from a pet shop. A friend of mine has a pet shop Lab and she's the most un-labbiest Lab I've ever seen.

If you look on the DOL breed pages, there are plenty of labrador breeders and I'm sure plenty of litter notices.

Click to the DogzOnline home page, choose puppy listings and choose Labrador, you will find all current puppy listings there.

Goodluck and welcome to DOL, from another Darwinite. :laugh:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to DOL Elle. Unless you have previous experience I'd advise you against a lab puppy with a toddler. Labrador puppies can be a handful and very boisterous as well as big chewers and diggers. They grow out of it but it takes a lot of patience and often years. If you are set on a Labrador maybe consider adopting an adult dog that is already known to be good with kids. This is only a suggestion but is there a rescue/re-homing organisation in NT you could approach?

I also think it is best if you let your dog live inside for some of the time as part of the family. You can restrict them to certain areas of the house to reduce the dog hair and muddy paw issues that might occur.

All the best with it, whatever you do.

(ETA minor changes.)

Edited by WhiteEagle

Hi :rofl: If you really want a lab, it can be done is long as you are aware of what you are in for. relatives of mine have a 10 month old lab and a 14 month old baby and no crate :rofl:

The adults have researched the breed and are raising a well balanced, pup ad child that so far are getting along very well without mishap :laugh:

I agree with others re pet shop / health /money makers :)

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Hi, I'm sure this must be as confusing for you as it was for me when I first found this forum! My head was totally spinning, but have learnt so much in the last few months.

We got a puppy a little over a month ago, and while he has really become a part of our family, I'm not sure I'd get a puppy again! People tell you how much work they are, but until you experience it I don't think you can appreciate the effort required! If we look at a second dog, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a mature dog (there are dogs available in the dogzonline 'mature dogs' site).

Good luck with whatever you choose, and i'm sure whatever dog you bring home will be worth the effort. :laugh:

P.S. I'm not a fan of pet stores either, i'd be looking at registered breeders or rescues.

Good decision Ivory Kitten!!

I think if you ask questions in the Labrador thread you'll get plenty of assistance with finding a pup from a responsible breeder. I suspect such a pup won't cost any more than the pet shop one but you'll get health testing and breeder support.

Flying a pup interstate is very common and a pup from Brisbane or Adelaide would come on a direct flight. Good luck with your search and make sure to post pics of your new family member when he/she arrives.

If you have your heart set on a yellow pup, that shouldnt' be too difficult - they are a common colour and far less "popular" than chocolate labs at the moment. I love the yellows too!

sounds like I'm going to need to find another puppy

Good thinking :laugh:

has your husband trained a 'working' retriever before? Or hunted with a dog? It needs to be learnt/taught.

If you are after a working dog, then check the bloodlines .. some are much more suited to it than others..Best of luck i your search, and looking forward to hearing the puppy stories! :rofl:

I missed the bit about wanting a working retriever.

IK, if your OH is serious about that, you'll need to source your pup from dual purpose (show and working) or working lines. That will really narrow your search.

Has you OH trained a working retriever before? If not, he's got a lot of work to do and I suggest he'll need to find an experienced mentor to assist him. There is a Working Retriever forum based on Oz which I'd recommend he join.

A pet shop Lab would probaby have had a pretty low chance of becoming a useful working dog - you need to buy a pup from a proven line. Lablover here breeds and trains for retrieving trials. She might be a useful person to PM. Other Lab breeders may know of good working lines.

There's no way a dog from working lines will be content with a half hour walk a day. These are active dogs bred to work all day in the field and they need a lot of mental and physical stimulation. I'd be talking to Lablover about that.

Edited by poodlefan

Good on you for coming to DOL and taking the advice from the knowledgable members here!

I am a newbie myself, got my Cavalier only a few months ago from an ethical registered breeder and could not be happier.

This is what you support when you buy from a petstore:

I'm sure you would be able to get one before Christmas from a good breeder. I wasnt on a waiting list for mine. When I was ready, I searched breeders on here and rang a few and was able to get a puppy that weekend.

Goodluck with it all and keep us updated!

I'm glad you've changed you mind about the pet shop & hope they give your deposit back. I was thinking the papers the were talking about would have only been vaccination cert & microchip registration papers. If they did have hip scores for the 'parents' you wouldn't know if they were from that pup's parents. They could be from any dogs. When you buy from a breeder you get the pups pedigree which lists it's parents, grandparents & gt grandparents. And when you see the hip scores & eye cert it has the names of the dogs on the pedigree. And you should be given copies of the health certs.

As to raising a lab puppy. They are a large boisterous breed. Puppy training starts even b4 you get that puppy. Puppy pre schools usually take puppies from 8-16 weeks old. If you read the link I gave previously you'll get an idea on what's involved in training.

Also with large breeds you need to grow pups slowly to help prevent joint & bone problems. Exercise should be limited until the pup is a year old for the same reasons.

Good luck in your search.

Hi Elle- I bet you are excited...

and I hate to spoil that somewhat..

but.. a boisterous lab puppy and a toddler will lead to tears.

lab puppies will chew,and dig,and probably knock your son over....

Lab pups are very cute.. however, they are also prone to several nasty conditions affecting their joints.

It is very wise to have written proof of the parents' test results at least- so you can be fairly sure your pup will not have pain and suffering a bit later on....

As this is your first dog... I hope you have done lots of reading up o your chosen breed, puppy training/nutrition, and the relationship between kids & dogs.

Below are few links you may not have seen ...

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

agine

CONGRATS on your new puppy our lab is 5mths old and we couldnt imagine life without her :champagne:

Not all labs are this way (chew things etc) I also have a toddler and Bella couldnt bemore gentle with him...they adore each other...so please dont listen and take things said above as a rule for labs because it isnt always the case :birthday:

I also don't see why you can't have a lab and a toddler if you are prepared to supervise all interactions and put the hard work into training your pup. As long as you know what you are up for (and it will be hard work) and you are keen, I say go for it!

Help yourself out by getting a baby and or puppy pen so you can keep them separate when you can't 100% supervise.

Do yourself a favour and find a proper breeder though. Many will fly your pup to you if you ask them!

Not all labs are this way (chew things etc) I also have a toddler and Bella couldnt bemore gentle with him...they adore each other...so please dont listen and take things said above as a rule for labs because it isnt always the case :birthday:

I wonder if you'll be saying the same thing when your pup is 10 months old! :champagne:

I wonder if you'll be saying the same thing when your pup is 10 months old!

:birthday:

No. probably not all labs ( or any pup) will chew /dig etc.. but most do, and first time puppy/dog owners need to be aware that these things are part of owning an active, strong puppy.

We had labs and a toddler- no problem.... I have also seen toddlers bite the dust as the resident lab youngster does a bum waggle too close, or leans, or just runs thru the toddler :champagne: It happens.

No. probably not all labs ( or any pup) will chew /dig etc.. but most do, and first time puppy/dog owners need to be aware that these things are part of owning an active, strong puppy.

We had labs and a toddler- no problem.... I have also seen toddlers bite the dust as the resident lab youngster does a bum waggle too close, or leans, or just runs thru the toddler :champagne: It happens.

Persephone, I find baby puppies (say up to six months) while requiring a lot of intensive feeding etc are pretty easy to live with. They eat, they wee and poo, they play and they sleep.. a lot. Come adolescence and increased physical size and activity levels and things start to change.

It's one of the reasons I wish people took their dogs to training beyond puppy preschool. Most dogs need puppy highschool even more because its a bit of maturity that often produces the most challenging behaviours to manage and train. There's a reason why so many dumped dogs are adolescents. :birthday:

Edited by poodlefan

Persephone, I find baby puppies (say up to six months) while requiring a lot of intensive feeding etc are pretty easy to live with. They eat, they wee and poo, they play and they sleep.. a lot. Come adolescence and increased physical size and activity levels and things start to change.

It's one of the reasons I wish people took their dogs to training beyond puppy preschool. Most dogs need puppy highschool even more because its a bit of maturity that often produces the most challenging behaviours to manage and train. There's a reason why so many dumped dogs are adolescents. :birthday:

I totally agree with you Poodlefan, I just don't like blanket statements such as "you can't have a lab and a toddler at the same time."

Better advice IMO would be to say "you can't have a lab and a toddler at the same time IF you aren't prepared to put in the hard yards to train your dog."

Training is a lifelong project for ANY dog and should be ongoing regardless of the breed.

I totally agree with you Poodlefan, I just don't like blanket statements such as "you can't have a lab and a toddler at the same time."

Better advice IMO would be to say "you can't have a lab and a toddler at the same time IF you aren't prepared to put in the hard yards to train your dog."

Training is a lifelong project for ANY dog and should be ongoing regardless of the breed.

Amen to that. Trouble is that people sometimes have this idea in their heads of a older, placid family or friend's lab and forget the process of age and training that led to the end result. Or they listen to the pet shop person telling them that Labs are "naturally placid and obedient" [yes readers, I've heard that through my own ears :champagne: ]

I once taught a remedial beginners class that was entirely comprised of adolescent Labs and Golden Retrievers.. smart as whips but with the attention span of gnats. It was a fun class to teach. :birthday:

Edited by poodlefan

I have enjoyed reading your comments thus far!! It's great to hear different people's opinions!! LOL @ the teens comment!! At least my dog will go through puberty well before my child so at least I won't have 2 teens to cope with at the same time :champagne:

well i called the pet store and asked for pedigree papers, which they cannot provide and they were fine about giving me back my deposit, just have to go in there and get it.

now to find a new puppy! I would be able to get one from SE QLD vicinity, I am thinking of visiting my family there before the end of the year anyway, so I could achieve 2 things in one trip!

will keep you all posted on how we go