Griffon Bruxellois

Troy

The Griffon Bruxellois

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=33 )

Group: Group 1 (Toys)

General Appearance: A cobby well balanced, square little dog, giving appearance of measuring the same from withers to tail root as from withers to ground.

Characteristics: Smart little dog with disposition of a terrier. Two varieties rough coated, Griffon Bruxellois and smooth coated, Petit Brabancon. Both with pert, monkey-like expression, heavy for size.

Temperament: Lively and alert.

Head And Skull: Head fairly large in comparison to body, rounded but in no way domed, moderately wide between the ears. Hair on skull in roughs rather coarse. Nose always black, with large, open nostrils and definite stop between muzzle and skull. Relatively short, wide muzzle, neat lips, with good turn-up. Chin prominent, in roughs furnished with a beard.

Eyes: Black rimmed, very dark, round, clear, alert and not too large.

Ears: Semi-erect, high set, the smaller the better.

Mouth: Slightly undershot with even teeth, not showing teeth or tongue.

Neck: Medium length, slightly arched, springing from well laid back shoulders.

Forequarters: Chest rather wide and deep, legs straight of medium length and bone.

Body: Short back, level from withers to tail root, neither roaching nor dipping; deep; well-sprung ribs; short, strong loin.

Hindquarters: Well muscled thighs of good length, hocks low to ground, turning neither in nor out, stifles well bent.

Feet: Small, thick, cat-like with black toenails.

Tail: Docked: Docked short, high set, emerging at right angles from the level topline.

Undocked: High set, emerging at right angles from the level topline. Of moderate length, curved gently over back when moving.

Gait/Movement: Free with good drive from rear. Moving true coming and going. High stepping front movement undesirable.

Coat: Roughs, harsh, wiry, free from curl, preferably with undercoat. Smooths, short and tight.

Colour: Clear red, black or black and rich tan without white markings. In clear red, a darker shade on mask and ears desirable. Ideally each hair should be an even red from tip to root. Frosting on muzzles of mature smooths should not be penalised.

Sizes: Weight: from 3.2-5kgs (7-11 lbs)

most desirable 3.6-4.5kgs (8-10lbs)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• 2 years later...

first time owner with doing the odd bit of showing

in Belgium developed out of several dogs for using as a ratter

not very

unsure

my boy is very friendly and sweet natured to people and other dogs. As a pup he was very stubborn but seems to have grown out of that. Absolute clown, he is very funny to watch with his little antics, loves running but also loves to snuggle on laps and have cuddles.

When I lived on a surburban block Mocha was happy with a half hour daily walk and games of fetch which he loves. They are far more active than you think they are being small so do need exercise. Now we live on acres and he runs with coolies (working dogs) for hours he is a very fit fellow and needs lots of exercise.

yes but even though they are small they do need some boundaries and a firm hand to let them know who is boss is my experience with Mocha

I think Mocha would really miss not having playmates, they are such a small dog having two wouldn't be a problem!

smooth coat like Mocha a quick bath every now and again. Rough coats need to be trimmed or pulled

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

no not at all. Care would have to be taken with small children, whilst they are sturdy dogs they are still very small

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

a breeder would be a better person to answer this

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

• 9 months later...

First time owner.

As Ons said, in Belgium as a ratter.

Not very common im my experience (Most people think she is a pugX).

My breeder said 12-15yrs

Very outgoing!! Mine loves other dogs and people, if you dont want a lap dog and constant shadow this breed is not for you. They are very sweet dogs that are very willing to please and very smart.

They do have a certain amount of terrier like traits in their personaility, mine loves digging, catching and chasing bugs and is extremely rough and tumble as she throws herself into everything.

I have found my girl to be extremely active and loves to have interactive play like fetch and a good walk to settle her down abit. I was told they were active dogs before i bought her and she has lived up to it, but due to her small size it is easier to tire her out.

Yes, as long as they are not treated like a toy and are given rules.

Mine is a solo dog and is by herself all day when i am at work. She is fantastic, i suspect she sleeps alot of the day as once i am home she doesnt stop till bedtime. I havent had any issues with her being distructive or any seperation anxiety, she seems to cope with it really well. I think the main thing is including them in everything once you are home and not just leaving them in the backyard by themselves (though this is definalty a inside dog breed, they need to be inside with their people).

Mine is a smooth coat so not much, a bath and a brush once a week or so is all mine gets. The long coats need alot more grooming though.

No, but care would need to be taken as to make sure children are gentle with them due to their small size.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder?

I went out and actually meet the breeder and his dogs as i wanted to see what they were like rather than just being told over the phone.