German Spitz (mittel & Klein)

Troy

The German Spitz

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=190 )

Group: Group 7 (Non Sporting)

General Appearance: Compact, short coupled and well knit with an almost square outline. Firm condition, the profuse coat not disguising any lack of substance.

Characteristics: The German Spitz is intelligent, active and alert. Its buoyancy, independence and devotion to the family are the breed characteristics.

Temperament: Happy, equable disposition, showing confidence, with no sign of nervousness or aggression.

Head And Skull: Medium large, broad and nearly flat skull when viewed from above and narrowing in a wedge shape to the nose. Stop moderately defined; muzzle approximately half length of head. Cheeks clean. Flews tight, no trace of lippiness.

Nose: Black in black, white, black/white parti-colours, black/tan bi-colours. Self colour as compatible with coat colour in other colour varieties. Never parti-colour or pink.

Eyes: Medium size, oval shaped and obliquely set. Not too wide apart. Always dark with black rims in blacks, whites black/white parti-colours, black/tan bi-colours. As dark as compatible with coat colour in other colour varieties.

Ears: Small, triangular and set rather high. Perfectly erect.

Mouth: A perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws. Black lips in black, white, black/white in parti-colours, black/tan bi-colours. Colour as compatible with coat colour in other colour varieties.

Neck: Clean, moderately short and well set into the shoulders.

Forequarters: Moderately sloping shoulder; upper arm of sufficient length to ensure elbow is vertically below point of withers. Moderate forechest. Elbows equidistant between ground and withers, turning neither in nor out. Well-boned, straight legs. Pasterns strong and flexible.

Body: Length from point of shoulder to point of buttock equal to height at withers; short, well-developed loin. Moderate tuck-up. Well ribbed-up and rounded. Distance from brisket to ground not less than half the height from ground to withers. Top-line level.

Hindquarters: Moderate angulation with hocks moderately well let down. Neither cow hocked nor wide behind.

Feet: Small, rounded, cat like, with well arched toes.

Tail: High set, curled right up from root, lying curled over back.

Gait/Movement: Moving without exaggeration from any angle. Straight coming and going. Viewed from side, effortless, brisk action, retaining topline.

Coat: Double coat consisting of a soft woolly undercoat and a long harsh textured perfectly straight top coat covering the whole of the body. Abundant around neck and forequarters with a frill of profuse, but not excessive, off standing straight hair extending over the shoulders. Forelimbs well feathered tapering from elbows to pasterns. Hind limbs feathered to hocks. Ears covered with soft short hair, Hair on the face smooth and short. Tail profusely covered with long spreading hair. This is not a trimmed breed and evidence of trimming and shaping, other than tidying of the feet, anal area and the legs below the hocks, unacceptable.

Colour: All colour varieties and markings acceptable. Butterfly pigment not permitted with any colour.

Sizes: Height: Klein 23-29cms (9-11.5 ins)

Mittel 30-38cms (12-15 ins)

Dogs masculine, bitches feminine.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

QUESTIONS

I have been involved with the GS mittel since 1985 as a breeder, conformation exhibitor and obedience trial competitor.

Germany. The breed was used as a companion and alert dog on German farms and used to accompany merchants to town, running alongside the horses and at times being carried on the horses backs. The breed was further developed in the UK . The first imports to Oz came from the UK in1987 to Elhamra Kennels, SA. There are two Breed standards: the FCI and our ANKC one adopted from the KC. The ANKC standards allows for all colours and variations of colour.

The mittel is not a rare breed. The number of them exhibited at any one time varies however. Owners are scattered over a wide ranging area of OZ, but seeing large numbers of them at prestigious shows ( such as Royals, and the Spring Fair NSW ) is a wonderful sight with all their different colours which is one of the hallmarks of the breed and makes them so entertaining and different.

Abut 12 to 15 yrs...sometimes more.

This is a happy, athletic, independent yet adoring, intelligent companion dog that is capable of reaching the highest levels of obedience work as well as participating in all types of dogsports. I must add that they do not suffer fools gladly!! Some of them are natural retrievers and are a joy to work with in scent discrimination exercises for example. Their ability to jump very high from a standstill makes them ideally suited to agility and games competitions. THey are devoted to their family and if you want a continual shadow( despite them being independent ) you will have a constant one. Their independence is shown in their intelligence rather than their physical behaviour.

A walk a day. They are self exercising.They are VERY playful but they tune in with their owners moods and accommodate very easily. A pack of GS will play with each other all day , even when they are aged.

Yes, provided the owner knows how to be a benevolent dictator !! The mittel will boss you if you dont do it first. Personally I would prefer a new owner of this breed to be prepared to look after their glamorous coats and to provide them with mental stimulation. They have a wicked sense of humour and will display this as well as selective hearing at times when you would rather they didnt !!

I have never had one of the breed on their lonesome.. They are so devoted to their family that I would think it unjust to leave them on their own for a long period of time.

They are low maintenance.A good grooming when they are shedding (twice a year generally) and perhaps once a week going over thoroughly. They should never be clipped as the coat is their insulation against heat and rain and cold. Like any double coated breed they will shed their undercoat seasonally to adjust to higher temperatures.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I do not have children . Someone with children can answer this. The mittel is an "interactive" dog but it will also leave you alone and hang out on its own within sight of you if you want it that way. Some mittels do like to jump on you however and this could become a problem for frail, elderly people or with smaller children. But the breed is cerainly NOT too boisterous and can be easily trained to behave itself. All education of this breed must be with positive reinforcement as they resent being forced. Besides you should never have to force the GS.They are very cooperative and pleasing their loved ones seems to make them very happy indeed.

post-21627-1256280844_thumb.jpg

Edited by foxyroxy
  • Like 1

QUESTIONS

I became involved in this breed about 4 years ago, when I got my first Mittel, although I had known about them since the early 1990's when a friend of mine had one which she trialled in Obedience. Thats when I fell in love with them.

The breed was developed in Germany (which is their Country of Origin) They were good watchdogs, alerting the larger and protective dogs to the presence of intruders or strangers on their territory. Being watch dogs they can be vocal. They were used by travelling merchants to accompany them, protecting their possessions, and would run along side the horses and at would sit anywhere high, either on the waggon, on a tree stump, or even on the horses, and keep watch over their domain.

While not being a true 'Rare Breed', the German Spitz isn't huge in numbers, or as common as many other breeds in Australia, and have really only been in the Country in any numbers since the late 1980's. So numbers are still growing. They are spread accross the whole country, but again not concentrated numbers or in any one area. The most exhibits of the breed that will see at any one time, would most probably be at any of the Royal Shows held around the Country. There are even fewer Klein's being shown or even Bred. The Klein is the same dog as a Mittel but smaller.

The average lifespan would be 12-15 years.

This is a confident, lively and bright breed, who is highly intelligent, but can need plenty of mental stimulation to keep themselves occupied. They do have an independant streak to their nature, as does many of the "Spitz" breeds, but having said that, they are very trainable and are very willing to please their owners. They are devoted to their family and home.

This breed will take as little or as much exercise as you are capable of giving them. In an ideal world, a good walk daily is sufficient, but they also thrive on dogsports, such as Agility, flyball, Obedience, or just going for a morning walk, or run.

As long as the new owners are aware of ALL their needs as to grooming, exercise, and are fully informed, I'd have to say yes. But they are not a breed for the feint hearted, or those who don't want to deal with a little bit of brushing.

To a degree I would say yes. But like any breed of dog, a bored dog is a distructive dog, so they do need to be mentally stimulated, so lots of toys, would help keep them occupied. I have more than one, so they interact with each other.

The dogs do drop coat once a year, and the bitches do drop coat twice a year, usually before a season, but if you desex your dog and bitch, they will drop coat once a year. When they drop their undercoat, it does come out, and the best thing to do is to brush it out. Apart from that, a good brush to the skin, once a week, should be enough to keep their coats looking good. If you allow them to get burrs etc and tangles in their coats, you will have matts and problems.

The answer to this question depends on two things. 1: is the nature and age of the child, the other is the nature and age of the dog. 2: Some older people can have quite shaky hand, or limb movements, which can make some dogs (of any breed) wary or nervous.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

This breed is normally a healthy and robust breed, and one which is free from most health problems.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

There are no real specific health testing which is done on this breed in Australia.

Photo is a young dog aged 10mths at the time of this photo being taken

post-19689-1256289246_thumb.jpg

Edited by edgesmum
  • Like 1

Can they cope with larger dogs easily or are they on the more fragile side?

Hi wolfsong!

My bitch has always had a fancy for a Great Dane, even though she's told its never going to happen!!!! LOL! :rainbowbridge:

so to that question, I'd have to say no, but then again it depends on the tempreament of the two dogs in question!

They have also run with my friends Kelpies, so they are fairly robust, but I'd never leave a pair of dogs together with a great size difference anyway!

Can they cope with larger dogs easily or are they on the more fragile side?

Hi Wolfsong,

The mittel is a tough dog. They are not fragile at all. A good example of the breed will have ample bone and height . They are not pretty, fluffy little lap dogs. They are extremely agile and can look after themselves. However I would not run them unsupervised with much larger dogs. Like Edge`s mum, I would not do this with any smaller breed. The mittel is a large " small" dog if that makes sense and I must say I treat mine pretty much the same way as I treat my Koolies. No mollycoddling etc . They are as tough and agile as my working dogs.

From what I have heard they have a reputation for being VERY vocal. Have people found this to be the case?

Hi Kavik

Some individuals are very vocal, yes , where others are not. In a pack, I would say yes...bitches more so .But that is only a generalization.. I have had some mittels who dont bark much at all and others who do.So they vary ,just like any other breed I would imagine.They do require mental stimulation as they were bred to be alert dogs. Like any smart dog they like a job to do. They do like to alert and to guard . I dont think however they are any more vocal than many other breeds. Not so much that they would pose a problem.

Hi Wolfsong

yep, I agree!

But I do need to clarify something.............when I said my guys ran with a friends Kelpies, they were never unsupervised, and her keplies are older and more mature and are not into burning around the place, and it was in a house yard, and usually my three spitzies and 1 kelpie at a time!

Agile they are, very! They excell at Agility!

They do have a height difference of 3" in the breed from the smallest to the largest allowed in the standard, and in a dog this size, it can be quite a difference.

but they are a fairly robust breed!

• Like 1

Thaks for the answers guys :rofl:

I met some stunning little Spitz at a show recently, a black boy and a sable girl, they just stole my heart!

A great little breed

Hi wolfsong

Was that at a show in Canberra??

No down in Bribaree (SP?)

But thats only a few hours from canberra

Edited by Wolfsong
  • Like 1

I love Mittels!!!!

How do they do with other animals? Cats, etc?

Hi TerraNik

Is that the famous Jedi who is trialling in CCD at the moment??? :laugh:

My mittels love my cat.My cat loves my mittels as she used to supervise them when they were babies. Some do have a high prey drive I guess but they really dont want to hurt the cat ..they want to play and they generally end up licking and grooming each other. But then my cat is pretty special.

My obedience boy adores other dogs and people etc etc . None of my dogs have had a bad experience so I do think it is in their nature to be accepting ...however they are territorial when at home and in the car but that is not unsusual and that is OK by me !!

• Like 1

I love Mittels!!!!

Hi TerraNik

Is that the famous Jedi who is trialling in CCD at the moment??? :rofl:

My mittels love my cat.My cat loves my mittels as she used to supervise them when they were babies. Some do have a high prey drive I guess but they really dont want to hurt the cat ..they want to play and they generally end up licking and grooming each other. But then my cat is pretty special.

My obedience boy adores other dogs and people etc etc . None of my dogs have had a bad experience so I do think it is in their nature to be accepting ...however they are territorial when at home and in the car but that is not unsusual and that is OK by me !!

Famous? I don't know about that! But yep, that's my Jedi.

Aww I think I might just have to add a Mittel to my list!!!! :laugh:

• Like 1

I love Mittels!!!!

Hi TerraNik!

I have a huge soft spot for Keeshonds, and Lappies too!

Like any dog, if bought up with other animals or kids for that matter, they would be accepting! again it depends on the temperament of the dog and cat in question!

I have a bitch here, and I don't have any small children here, (only grandchildren who visit) and she is the most gently girl with them, but my young dog is too boisterous for them, he likes to jump up and play rough! so it depends on the individual dogs temperament.

Edited by edgesmum
  • Like 1

Famous? I don't know about that! But yep, that's my Jedi.

Aww I think I might just have to add a Mittel to my list!!!! :thumbsup:

Hi Teranik

Any spitz breed who trials should be famous, dont you think? Especially when that spitz breed is a Keeshond or a German Spitz !! :) It would be great to see you add a mittel to your list !! They are a wonderful breed to work with and train for all types of dogsports.

Pic is of 4 month old baby just beginning to retrieve

post-21627-1256871640_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Aww!! That's just divine!! :) At this rate I'm going to end up with 6 dogs!

hey, anyone who is dedicated enough to set up a Keeshond to trial deserves to have a mittel and join the very cool group of spitzy triallers ..(proving spitz breeds arent just spectacular and glamorous !)

what`s one more dog?? mittels fit into small spaces !! ooops sorry to spell your name wrong last time !! good luck with Jedi at your next trial ..wooohoo for the Keeshond !!! where will you be so perhaps I could cheer you on? my mittels wont be ready till next winter.