German Spitz (mittel & Klein)

Troy

Aww!! That's just divine!! ;) At this rate I'm going to end up with 6 dogs!

hey, anyone who is dedicated enough to set up a Keeshond to trial deserves to have a mittel and join the very cool group of spitzy triallers ..(proving spitz breeds arent just spectacular and glamorous !)

what`s one more dog?? mittels fit into small spaces !! ooops sorry to spell your name wrong last time !! good luck with Jedi at your next trial ..wooohoo for the Keeshond !!! where will you be so perhaps I could cheer you on? my mittels wont be ready till next winter.

Too right! Spitzies are great to train! Thanks for the well wishes! We will be at Glendenning, Spring Fair and Hills District/Castle Hill. Hopefully I can have Jedi's allergies fixed up by then otherwise he's going to keep having problems with the stays (he gets too itchy and has to scratch).

You know, a mittel would be a nice height dog for flyball... hmmmm! :)

How would you compare the Mittel personality to the Keeshond personality? Are they similar?

Aww!! That's just divine!! :cheer: At this rate I'm going to end up with 6 dogs!

hey, anyone who is dedicated enough to set up a Keeshond to trial deserves to have a mittel and join the very cool group of spitzy triallers ..(proving spitz breeds arent just spectacular and glamorous !)

what`s one more dog?? mittels fit into small spaces !! ooops sorry to spell your name wrong last time !! good luck with Jedi at your next trial ..wooohoo for the Keeshond !!! where will you be so perhaps I could cheer you on? my mittels wont be ready till next winter.

Too right! Spitzies are great to train! Thanks for the well wishes! We will be at Glendenning, Spring Fair and Hills District/Castle Hill. Hopefully I can have Jedi's allergies fixed up by then otherwise he's going to keep having problems with the stays (he gets too itchy and has to scratch).

You know, a mittel would be a nice height dog for flyball... hmmmm! :cry:

How would you compare the Mittel personality to the Keeshond personality? Are they similar?

Ok I am at MY dog limit- and no one would even notice a german spitz at your place (could just sit under Jedi and no one would ever see it) and our spitz team does need a height dog......... :cry:

Aww!! That's just divine!! :cry: At this rate I'm going to end up with 6 dogs!

You know, a mittel would be a nice height dog for flyball... hmmmm! :cry:

Ok I am at MY dog limit- and no one would even notice a german spitz at your place (could just sit under Jedi and no one would ever see it) and our spitz team does need a height dog......... :cry:

Mmm if only German Spitzies came in the same colour as Keeshonds... I could just tell people Jedi spawned a clone? Or that they must be hallucinating... or that it's Jedi and he shrunk? :cheer: OR he could just stand under Jedi and hide his head... "What do you MEAN my dog has 8 legs??!!!" :cry:

Mmm if only German Spitzies came in the same colour as Keeshonds... I could just tell people Jedi spawned a clone? Or that they must be hallucinating... or that it's Jedi and he shrunk? :o OR he could just stand under Jedi and hide his head... "What do you MEAN my dog has 8 legs??!!!" :laugh:

Oowwww but they DO! 'Wolfspitz' Standard states 'All colours and colour combinations acceptable'

the come in colours from white, right through all shades of cream, to golds, red, chocolate, black, blue, sables (many different colour sables) Parti colours (any colour on a predominanlty white background)

I have a very light cream bitch

a chocolate dog and a dog who is the colour of milky tea, with lighter pigment on his nose, pads of his feet and gold coloured eyes, who has recently got his Aust Ch title! at the tender age of 12mth and 2 weeks. he is the one pictured in my original post.

Aww!! That's just divine!! :o At this rate I'm going to end up with 6 dogs!

You know, a mittel would be a nice height dog for flyball... hmmmm! :laugh:

I'll be at Spring Fair too with Kaos for agility - might see if I can find you :)

I'll be at Spring Fair too with Kaos for agility - might see if I can find you :laugh:

Agility and OB are on different days aren't they? I will be around on the Saturday though 'just visiting'. I didn't enter conformation... I'm lazyyyy!!

Mmm if only German Spitzies came in the same colour as Keeshonds... I could just tell people Jedi spawned a clone? Or that they must be hallucinating... or that it's Jedi and he shrunk? :) OR he could just stand under Jedi and hide his head... "What do you MEAN my dog has 8 legs??!!!" :)

oh but GS Do come in any colour !! I have had wolf sables but not exactly grey ! I have a brown and fawn sable at the moment and my trial boy`s grandmum was a dark wolf sable. ..an 8 legged Keeshond is an awesome concept !

BTW what is your boy allergic to ? I have a similar problem and I am worried about stays in the future. The dog cant stay if it cant stop scratching. Are you using any medication that is effective ?

Edited by foxyroxy

BTW what is your boy allergic to ? I have a similar problem and I am worried about stays in the future. The dog cant stay if it cant stop scratching. Are you using any medication that is effective ?

He has atopic dermatitis. We're not sure what the allergens are that he is affected by, which makes it very hard to eliminate them from the environment. I know that he is allergic to chicken though (we did some food challenge tests with him). He has 10mg Zyrtec per day but it doesn't make much of a difference. Regular baths seems to be working the most which is something I've just started. He is moving onto a new shampoo (Groomer's EPO) when it gets delivered next week. I have heard great things about the product!

I refuse to put him on steroids. My previous dog (beagle) who had allergies was on steroids and it was a nightmare.

It is awful having a dog with allergies for OB. He works so well for everything else and his stays are rock solid, but the itching just gets too much for him sometimes. Our last trial he scratched in the down stay in the last SECOND! I almost died... He was on 1st place with a 97. :):champagne:

I have another question... Does the Mittel Spitz usually like water/swimming?

My girl doesn't like to get her tootsies wet! :)

Chai on the other hand is a water baby! The deeper the better, he often has wet paws............he will paddle in ANYTHING!

I was at a show today, and put him in his crate for a minuite while I got Elsa organised..............only to find him absolutly drenched in the front! legs, bib, chin...........total front end!!! and he had to go back very quickly for Group specials!

so in the end I suppose it depends on the dog really! same as in people!

Congratulations!! He is lovely!!!

I hadn't seen a grey sable type coat in my photo searching! I need to look harder by the sounds of it!!! Though I personally have a soft spot for the red and chocolate!! :D

The girl the picture is not a grey sable but her brother was. There is great range of sables in the breed, mittels and kleins. Germany is more strict than what we are here in their acceptance of colour variation.

Pic is of my foundation bitch , Champon Atetak Feelin Foxy CD, the first and only mittel bitch in Oz to have dual titles in Comformation and Obedience. she was still working in the trial ring ( CDX ) at the age of 11 1/2.

post-21627-1257040842_thumb.jpg

It is awful having a dog with allergies for OB. He works so well for everything else and his stays are rock solid, but the itching just gets too much for him sometimes. Our last trial he scratched in the down stay in the last SECOND! I almost died... He was on 1st place with a 97. :laugh: ;)

Poor Jedi... :mad I know what it is like to have an itchy dog and Oh,my , yes , to miss out on the downstay like that ! I have been lucky so far but my young girl is a very itchy little critter. I will be interested to hear of this new shampoo you are going to use. She shows great promise but I also wont use steroids etc and antihistimines dont work for her either. What do you feed instead of chicken? Do you use dry food at all?

I do hope you can solve the problem ..to have a good dog like that capable of great scores ...ggrrrrr

Poor Jedi... :) I know what it is like to have an itchy dog and Oh,my , yes , to miss out on the downstay like that ! I have been lucky so far but my young girl is a very itchy little critter. I will be interested to hear of this new shampoo you are going to use. She shows great promise but I also wont use steroids etc and antihistimines dont work for her either. What do you feed instead of chicken? Do you use dry food at all?

I do hope you can solve the problem ..to have a good dog like that capable of great scores ...ggrrrrr

I am starting him on Groomer's EPO shampoo, EPO food supplement and EPO spray conditioner. I'll let you know how we go with it!!

Jedi is fed a BARF diet (as is Ahsoka) and so he just gets other meats. Mostly lamb, goat, roo or beef.

I don't feed dry unless we are going on a holiday and we have no where to store their raw food. The only kibble he can have is Eagle Pack Anchovy/Salmon.

I hope we can solve the problem too... ;)

Edited by TerraNik

I am starting him on Groomer's EPO shampoo, EPO food supplement and EPO spray conditioner. I'll let you know how we go with it!!

Jedi is fed a BARF diet (as is Ahsoka) and so he just gets other meats. Mostly lamb, goat, roo or beef.

I don't feed dry unless we are going on a holiday and we have no where to store their raw food. The only kibble he can have is Eagle Pack Anchovy/Salmon.

I hope we can solve the problem too... :rofl:

Have you tried Missing Link? I have heard that is great

we have a flea problem here on the cost all year round this year this year I might add cos of the mild winter. I have not found ANY product that works on fleas for longcoated dogs. I think my girl is allergic to flea saliva...that is her problem. A big problem. I have noticed a lot of dogs scratching at shows lately :offtopic: what to do !!

we have a flea problem here on the cost all year round this year this year I might add cos of the mild winter. I have not found ANY product that works on fleas for longcoated dogs. I think my girl is allergic to flea saliva...that is her problem. A big problem. I have noticed a lot of dogs scratching at shows lately :offtopic: what to do !!

No, I haven't tried that. I'll keep it in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

we have a flea problem here on the cost all year round this year this year I might add cos of the mild winter. I have not found ANY product that works on fleas for longcoated dogs. I think my girl is allergic to flea saliva...that is her problem. A big problem. I have noticed a lot of dogs scratching at shows lately :rofl: what to do !!

No, I haven't tried that. I'll keep it in mind.

did the scratching issue resolve itself??did you enter the SF Obedience?? or any other trials??? also another unrelated query...why is the Keeshond eligible for Herding?? `cuse my ignorance please..I am very interested in herding. I bought a Koolie who i thought would be a moral to herd but nah! not in the slightest bit interested !! :)

I could just imagine a little German Spitz herding.

Edited by foxyroxy

did the scratching issue resolve itself??did you enter the SF Obedience?? or any other trials??? also another unrelated query...why is the Keeshond eligible for Herding?? `cuse my ignorance please..I am very interested in herding. I bought a Koolie who i thought would be a moral to herd but nah! not in the slightest bit interested !! :offtopic:

I could just imagine a little German Spitz herding.

Nope, Jedi is just as bad as ever. He's getting his thyroid tested through Dr Jean Dodds (we're sending his blood off on Wednesday) and if it's not that, then he has to get tested for allergies.

We did enter SF but it was too hot for him and I pulled him after 30 seconds in the ring. We haven't trialled since and he's retired from trialling indefinitely unless we can fix his health issues. :rolleyes:

I have no idea why they are eligible for herding!!! But they are and although Jedi's instinct isn't as strong as other breeds, he still shows an interest in the sheep and has potential. He just needs a little more guidance than Ahsoka for example. Unfortunately only the Keeshond, Corgi, Swedish Vallhund and Samoyed are the only spitz breeds eligible.

Meanwhile, Jedi was shown in Open Neuter class at our club (Hills District) show a couple of weekends ago and was beaten for group by the gorgeous Banjo!!!!!!! :) It was awesome to see him in person. Such a beautiful boy. Jedi did get 2nd in Neutered Sweepstakes though and Open Neuter of Breed. :rofl:

Edited by TerraNik

Nope, Jedi is just as bad as ever. He's getting his thyroid tested through Dr Jean Dodds (we're sending his blood off on Wednesday) and if it's not that, then he has to get tested for allergies.

We did enter SF but it was too hot for him and I pulled him after 30 seconds in the ring. We haven't trialled since and he's retired from trialling indefinitely unless we can fix his health issues. :love:

Meanwhile, Jedi was shown in Open Neuter class at our club (Hills District) show a couple of weekends ago and was beaten for group by the gorgeous Banjo!!!!!!! :party: It was awesome to see him in person. Such a beautiful boy. Jedi did get 2nd in Neutered Sweepstakes though and Open Neuter of Breed. :winner:

I am sorry to hear that you are still having probems with Jedi. My girl is marginally better. ..but not enough to prevent her from breaking in stays(were we up to them !!)

Wasnt the heat just dreadful at the SF? too hot for my crew to even leave the house .No way could any of them show,let alone trial...

Yes, Banjo is a lovely boy.My dear friend ,Bev Hughes of Atetak, bred him.

Good luck with Jedi and his health issues..it would be such a shame to see him out of the Obedience ring.

I have four in work for next winter`s trialling...I hope...fingers crossed. Big job but fun.