German Spitz (mittel & Klein)

Troy

Nope, Jedi is just as bad as ever. He's getting his thyroid tested through Dr Jean Dodds (we're sending his blood off on Wednesday) and if it's not that, then he has to get tested for allergies.

We did enter SF but it was too hot for him and I pulled him after 30 seconds in the ring. We haven't trialled since and he's retired from trialling indefinitely unless we can fix his health issues. :D

Meanwhile, Jedi was shown in Open Neuter class at our club (Hills District) show a couple of weekends ago and was beaten for group by the gorgeous Banjo!!!!!!! :rofl: It was awesome to see him in person. Such a beautiful boy. Jedi did get 2nd in Neutered Sweepstakes though and Open Neuter of Breed. :eek:

I am sorry to hear that you are still having probems with Jedi. My girl is marginally better. ..but not enough to prevent her from breaking in stays(were we up to them !!)

Wasnt the heat just dreadful at the SF? too hot for my crew to even leave the house .No way could any of them show,let alone trial...

Yes, Banjo is a lovely boy.My dear friend ,Bev Hughes of Atetak, bred him.

Good luck with Jedi and his health issues..it would be such a shame to see him out of the Obedience ring.

I have four in work for next winter`s trialling...I hope...fingers crossed. Big job but fun.

Good luck to you! I have my Lapphund and Woofenpup's Abby (kelpie) to get into the ring next year, so either way I'll still have my hands full!! I can only hope that Jedi will join them. We're off to the dermatologist tomorrow to start allergy testing.

Nope, Jedi is just as bad as ever. He's getting his thyroid tested through Dr Jean Dodds (we're sending his blood off on Wednesday) and if it's not that, then he has to get tested for allergies.

Good luck to you! I have my Lapphund and Woofenpup's Abby (kelpie) to get into the ring next year, so either way I'll still have my hands full!! I can only hope that Jedi will join them. We're off to the dermatologist tomorrow to start allergy testing.

How did the tests go? My girl is still as itchy as ever so :) I may have to start having her tested as well...

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Probably the wrong thread but i need to find info on keeshonds!!!! and there is no sub breed here for them :cry:

hopeing you all can help.

I am helping a friend train her dog (basic obedience and house/outside manners) very soon

i want to set her self up for success with training a new dog/pup so i want to know everything possible to this particular breed.

so what methods work for this breed, motivators, food/toys?

Are they Quick learners?

weakness'?

habits :laugh: both good and bad?

what breed are they most like?

Traits?

I have heard they are similar to a pom, is this true?

sorry for taking over, but when i think of this breed i think of spitz so you all may be able to help me?

all suggestions please in the methods.

Probably the wrong thread but i need to find info on keeshonds!!!! and there is no sub breed here for them :cry:

hopeing you all can help.

I am helping a friend train her dog (basic obedience and house/outside manners) very soon

i want to set her self up for success with training a new dog/pup so i want to know everything possible to this particular breed.

so what methods work for this breed, motivators, food/toys?

Are they Quick learners?

weakness'?

habits :laugh: both good and bad?

what breed are they most like?

Traits?

I have heard they are similar to a pom, is this true?

sorry for taking over, but when i think of this breed i think of spitz so you all may be able to help me?

all suggestions please in the methods.

I've asked Troy for a Keeshond 101 thread, but in the meantime...

Keeshonds are very quick learners, but being a spitz breed they thrive on having a 'reason' to work (i.e. they won't just mindlessly do what you ask unless there's something in it for them). From my perspective, a Keeshond's greatest motivator is their pack drive. They are a breed that can form a strong bond with their handler and you can use that to your advantage in training. The breed are typically food-driven and have fairly good tug drive as well, depending on the dog. Positive reinforcement training will get the best results - they do not do well with corrections.

So I would recommend you show your friend lots of bonding exercises or even just basic tricks she can teach her Keeshond and really develop that relationship between dog and handler. If they don't have that bond, they can have a tendency to give you the finger, but with it they would walk through fire for you.

What else can I tell you.. they love their zoomies, are very easy to train to toilet in one area of the garden (genetics!) and are very clean dogs (I know of several Keeshonds who get 'upset' when their butt is dirty after toileting!). They love boats (genetics!) and do like to swim/dig in their water bowls so make sure they put a towel underneath any water bowl inside or they will have an indoor pond! They are also a very cheeky breed - if your friend doesn't have a sense of humour, she should re-think getting a Keeshond! They are real characters and will do things that make you have a real belly laugh!

What breed are they most like? They have lots of typical spitz characteristics but I can't think of a non-spitz breed that they are similar to.

They are similar to a pom, because they are all on a spectrum - the Pom being the smallest, the Keeshond being the largest. There are some personality differences between the breeds, but they are 'similar'.

Pom -- Klein spitz -- Mittel spitz -- Grossspitz -- Keeshond

Edited by TerraNik

This sounds like such an amazing breed. I'm wanting to learn more.

Apart from size are there any major differences between the mittel and klein ?

In the show ring are they judged separately?

There are no major differences between the mittel and klein...( only size ) Oz has had some lovely kleins recently imported , so we should see them in the ring from now on. If you want to learn more about this stunning and talented breed, please visit the club website as seen on DOL

I have to say after hearing some of them bark at a show recently, I have been put off! My poor ears! :)

Esky - yep they are judged separately.

The German Spitz was bred to be an alert dog and yes, they are extremely watchful . However some bark more than others and indeed. some dont bark much at all. Some have a deep bark and some have a shrill bark. It comes down to sound animal management as to whether your GS is noisy or not.

I have 8 dogs and have never had a complaint and I live in suburbia.

I obedience trial my dogs and they are a pleasure to exhibit.

There are many other breeds who are as noisy or noisier. I will state that this is a breed which MUST be a part of the family household and not left alone out in the yard or run.It was bred to be WITH you and it is a breed that does NOT like to be ignored.

It is the most loving breed I have ever come across and the smartest.

I would never contemplate ever having another to do obedience with...they are much underrated ...mine have all placed in the top three at every trial and quite often won the ring. They have titled easily and quickly and with good scores in three trials .

Dont be out off by some examples of noisy mittels...if you are the boss, you wont have any problem.

I have to say after hearing some of them bark at a show recently, I have been put off! My poor ears! :D

Esky - yep they are judged separately.

The German Spitz was bred to be an alert dog and yes, they are extremely watchful . However some bark more than others and indeed. some dont bark much at all. Some have a deep bark and some have a shrill bark. It comes down to sound animal management as to whether your GS is noisy or not.

I have 8 dogs and have never had a complaint and I live in suburbia.

I obedience trial my dogs and they are a pleasure to exhibit.

There are many other breeds who are as noisy or noisier. I will state that this is a breed which MUST be a part of the family household and not left alone out in the yard or run.It was bred to be WITH you and it is a breed that does NOT like to be ignored.

It is the most loving breed I have ever come across and the smartest.

I would never contemplate ever having another to do obedience with...they are much underrated ...mine have all placed in the top three at every trial and quite often won the ring. They have titled easily and quickly and with good scores in three trials .

Dont be out off by some examples of noisy mittels...if you are the boss, you wont have any problem.

I must say I agree with Foxyroxy.

I have been at shows where there have been MUCH noisier breeds, both larger and smaller.

They ARE a warning dog, and will not defend you, but will alert you that there is something happening, and what way does a dog naturally use to alert you, but to use its voice! :thumbsup:

ALL dogs have voices, some use them more than others!

It comes down to how much time you spend with your dogs.

A bored dog is both noisy and distructive.

These are COMPANION dogs! I have them myself. I also have a Pomeranian, who is the most quiet and pleasant bitch to have a round, and yes SHE does bark if someone comes to the door too!

YES......if you don't control them and discourage them to bark, you will have noisy brats! those with manners, are quiet.

My dogs know that being noisy is NOT the right thing to do, and mum does not like this kind of behaviour!

In my eyes, if you are not going to spend the time with your dog, and teach them life's manners, the solution is very simple! DON'T GET A DOG! of ANY breed!

I'm not picking on any breeds here, but I could not put up with the noise from a malamute for any length of time! I don't have malamutes, but I've heard them often enough at shows!

Why pick on the German Spitz?

There are plenty of noisy breeds

SOME people just have no consideration for others, and the breed is shot down in flames for being noisy!! Its not the breed its the owners who do nothing to discourage this behaviour that you should be talking about! :(

I'm going to take off my flame retarded suit now and go back to work!

I think there has been a misunderstanding and I'm sorry for creating such a fuss!

I did not mean that they were a "noisy" breed or that they bark a lot (look at me - I own two breeds bred to bark that both get criticized for being barky just like the GS!!). Barking in itself doesn't overly bother me.

What I meant was - I did not like sound of the bark that these particular mittels were making. It was high pitched and piercing and was unbearable to my somewhat sensitive ears. :confused:

I think there has been a misunderstanding and I'm sorry for creating such a fuss!

I did not mean that they were a "noisy" breed or that they bark a lot (look at me - I own two breeds bred to bark that both get criticized for being barky just like the GS!!). Barking in itself doesn't overly bother me.

What I meant was - I did not like sound of the bark that these particular mittels were making. It was high pitched and piercing and was unbearable to my somewhat sensitive ears. :thumbsup:

yes TerraNik Some of them do have a really high pitched trill kind of bark that goes straight through you. their barks are as individual as the voices that every one of us have. Some are lower and some higher!

on a PERSONAL note!! I'm all in favour of de-barking those you just have that HIGH pitched yap! makes the world a much quieter place! :thumbsup:

What I meant was - I did not like sound of the bark that these particular mittels were making. It was high pitched and piercing and was unbearable to my somewhat sensitive ears. :rofl:

yes TerraNik Some of them do have a really high pitched trill kind of bark that goes straight through you. their barks are as individual as the voices that every one of us have. Some are lower and some higher!

on a PERSONAL note!! I'm all in favour of de-barking those you just have that HIGH pitched yap! makes the world a much quieter place! :confused:

Terranik..NO FUSS Terranik ! I understand that you were really only talking about the pitch of the voice of some GS ...and I agree with you there.I am not .taking you to task on your comment at all by any means !!It is just that the GS DOES get a bad wrap ..The breed was ctriticised a while back on this forum as being too noisy and people were warned to stay away from it for this reason !! CRAZY .

.The TV road test on the breed several years ago( which some of remember with horror ) mainly concentrated on the noise factor & completely overlooked the intelligent and capable nature of these dogs. Very Sad!! It was stated that the breed was not suitable for living in today`s modern society .How ridiculous is that !.... When my wonderful boy passed his first test in CD at Canberra Royal, we received a lot of very nice comments ...which was great !.. ..but some seemed surprised that he could perform the group stays in silence !

So, its cool Terranik ! I just defend the breed I completely adore..

good luck with your guys...see you in the trial ring !