Where To Leave Puppy When We Work?

Persian Spitz

My OH and I work business hours everyday. We try to spend as much time as possible with our 6-month old pup. We're in the process of toilet training him so he stays in the house with us when we're there and I take him outside to do his business. But when we have to go to work, where's the best place to leave a pup? We currently leave him outside in an penned area with toys, food, water, house... etc. Is this the best place to leave him? Will it detract from his toilet training when he can just do his business wherever he wants when he's by himself?

Definitely outside where pup can sniff, dig and play. Pups need fresh air, sights, scents and sounds. It won't detract from his house training as he is outside. If you left him penned indoors then it may be more difficult.

We have a 6 month old Cocker Spaniel and we've been worrying about the same problem recently. When she was tiny she was penned indoors and had toys etc. She has a kennel outside but she's not keen on being outside on her own and I didn't really want to leave her outside whining all day. I suppose she would get used to it but I felt mean. We've just compromised and put in a dog door so she can go out to play but can still be inside if she wants to. We are away school hours and now she has the dog door someone doesn't have to race home every lunchtime to let her out for a wee and short play. I often think when we get home that she has hardly moved out all day and I have wasted nearly $500 on dog doors but at least she has the option.

Quite a few people around here seem to leave their dogs inside during the day.

It muffles their barking :happydance:

You could try outdoors, but warn the neighbours, and ask for honest feedback about any barking or whining.

It's reasonable that they will object to any change in routine.

If indoors, I'd prefer to confine a puppy to protect the house.