Quoits Help

Gamby

Hi

My dog can fetch, touch the top of the quoits pole, fetches the quoit, sometimes drops it in the right place but doesn't understand what he has to do.

What steps am I missing out on?

Hold quoits pole ct for touching with nose

Toss out quoit and send him to fetch ct when he returns the quoit to me

Using hold word for the quoit so that he doesn't drop it as soon as he returns it to me ct

Gambit's main activity is using his paws to get any item. It's a puppy thing I think.

He is able to touch with he paw anytime.

He becomes frustrated when he isn't rewarded for not dropping the quoit over the pole. then its the paws pulling or grabbing hold of the quoit pole or both.

Any suggestions gratefully received

I taught my Aussie this by backchaining. You start by getting the dog to lift the ring of the pole rather than the other way round. I use a clicker and C/R as soon as the dog starts to lift the ring, as the dog gets the idea it has to lift the ring abit higher each time to get the C/R, when I click the first thing the dog does is drop the ring to get the reward. As we proceed I hold of on the C/R and the dog will drop the ring back before I C/R and then I only C/R when the dog drops it back on the pole. Once the dog has got the idea I start to add distance in small increments.

While this sounds like a slow way of doing it my dog got the idea in one short lesson so it does work quicker than one would expect. Look for the outline of the trick rather than perfect results at the begining, perfection can come later with practice right now you just want the understanding. Good luck and have fun, this is a video of my girl doing the trick.

:(:) :) :laugh: :D ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow thank you ozjen.

Your video shows a typical Aussie doing its typical thing.

Picking up the ring from the back. Using its paws to pull the object towards it.

Does your Aussie drink from the back of the water bowl too?

Aren't they just the bestest dogs

Wendy

You start by getting the dog to lift the ring of the pole rather than the other way round.

While this sounds like a slow way of doing it my dog got the idea in one short lesson so it does work quicker than one would expect. Look for the outline of the trick rather than perfect results at the begining, perfection can come later with practice right now you just want the understanding. Good luck and have fun, this is a video of my girl doing the trick.

:(:) :) :laugh: :D ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It worked

:scold::thumbsup::whip::drink::wave::drink:

Thanks ozjen

Even worked on Push with a soccer ball this morning. He wanted to do the typical Aussie thing and bash it with his feet or kill it with his teeth.

Had trouble last week trying to get him to rollover on his right side. I shouldn't laugh but he sort of did it but then got stuck half way over. Now he is doing it.

Don't dogs love doing TRICKS?

:):champagne::cheer::cheer::) :D :D :(

It worked

:clap::cheer::clap::cheer::clap::cheer:

Thanks ozjen

Even worked on Push with a soccer ball this morning. He wanted to do the typical Aussie thing and bash it with his feet or kill it with his teeth.

Had trouble last week trying to get him to rollover on his right side. I shouldn't laugh but he sort of did it but then got stuck half way over. Now he is doing it.

Don't dogs love doing TRICKS?

No worries Gamby, it was actually Leopuppy04 that I learn't this trick from, so the credit goes to her.

I agree tricks are great fun and a fantastic way to enhance the bonding with your dog. Youtube is a great source of ideas for tricks and tutorials on teaching some of them.

Edited by ozjen

Ozjen, where did you buy the quoits from? I'd like to teach Ruby this trick :thumbsup:

Hi Rubystar,

The rings were from one of the discount variety shops like King Kongs or $2 shop in the pet section and the pole was made from scraps, just a square base and a piece of broompole. Was always going to paint it, but like so many other things never got around to it. :D

Its an easy trick to teach but the finished product looks impressive, I'm sure you would have no problems teaching Ruby or Millie it.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=41203

This is a hard trick, since I have covered most of the simple tricks, time to move on. For this trick you need a dog who is really clicker saavy. To find out about clicker go to http://www.k9events.com Australian based site.

Equipment : clicker, treats (chicken chunkers from Coles work great, cheese, liver etc)

Set of Quoit (can be purchased from toy stores) If your dog is size of border collie or larger, you may need to put a hole in the plastic part, and fill with sand so the dog does not knock it over.

Step 1

go to http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html and follow steps 1 to 17, take your time and don't rush the dog, make sure you meet the criteria for a step before moving to the next step. Instead of a dumbell you are going to use a coloured plastic quoit.

Step 2

You will be kneeling down next to the pole, You are going to click and treat the dog for raising the quoit to the height of the pole, keep on doing this step until the dog gets it right 10 times.

Step 3

You are now going to click and treat for the hoop being placed near the top of the pole, so the dog may not get the hoop on the pole but will get it very close. keep on doing this step until the dog gets it right 10 times.

Step 4

You are now going to wait for the dog to get the hoop on the pole, keep on doing this step until the dog gets it right 10 times. Big jackpot of food when the dog gets it right. Now add the command. I use the word "dump" because he is dumping the hoop onto the pole.

Advanced

You are now working on distance, gradually moving further away from the pole, my dog kept wanting to give the hoop to me. Once you get distance, you may want to throw the hoop further away from the pole, once you get this you may throw multiple hoops, and reward the dog when he puts two or three hoops on the pole.

My dog took a while to get this, and I actually took a break from it for about a month and came back to it and he got it. Moses actually developed a technique for this. It is quite hard for the dog and takes concentration, he has to work out how to handle the hoop in his mouth, how to line up with the pole and how to drop it on the pole.

To see pictures and video of this trick goto http://www.dogtrick.741.com/moses_put_a_hoop_on_a_stick.htm or

My Webpage

http://www.dogtrick.741.com/hoop5.jpg[/img]

I did this trick when Moses was on Australias Got Talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcU8WthoEFw

Edited by whatevah