Dirty Bum

Ben62w

Bit of an odd one.. But over the past few weeks Bailey has really started to stink! Like poo, She isnt cleaning her bum anymore? Weve never had this problem? She used to always be a very clean dog but just suddenly shes stoped? Every time she comes near me i can smell poo. I washed it last night and when i got home from work today it was the same again. Just a phase? Dirty teenager stage?? Shes 6months old now.

Cheers

Ben

Dogs should not need to 'clean their bum' provided they do not have diarrhoea...

I would also think anal glands.

What is she being fed?

(the anal glands are small sacs internally, which express a strong smelling liquid each time the dog defecates. If there is not enough firmness/bulk in the poo-(having bone in the diet helps- the glands aren't squeezed out as they should be..they can overfill, and leak... :cheer:)

It may not be that- she may be leaking faeces for some reason..... or who knows what... a vet check will find the cause for you :laugh:

You might want to look at changing her diet - more bone so the stools are firmer - should help avoid this problem.

I have never had to do it nor get it done at the vet for my 2 year old, and never for my parents old dog either. Thank god! :laugh:

As shes been leaking on the bed 2!!! EWWWw LOL

Leaking? Leaking anal gland stuff? ;)

Or do you mean leaking urine? If the latter, you might have the Vet check for UTI as well and in that case you'll need to supply a sample (your dog's, that is :provoke:).

But yes - what you describe DEFINITELY sounds like anal gland issues.

Good luck, and stay out of the range of fire when the Vet expresses them. :laugh:

Edited by Erny

Nope... Definatly not urine!! I saw it come out myself and it was not pretty.. I could smell it so i lifted her tail just to check she didnt have any Poo stuck to her tail and as i lifted it up some of the yellow anal gland stuff came out of her bum :(:love: i tell u i was not impressed as i was just getting ready to go to sleep... LOL!

Was not pretty, I am feeding her Eagle Pack Puppy.. That Holistic stuff.. Does wonders to her coat!

She occasionally gets a little bit of dog roll. Or the other night she got some nice raw steak! So when you say bones. Do you mean like Raw chicken necks and bodys etc? Or Big proper sheep bone etc?

Would be a great thing for her to knaw on when im at work!! And its helping her anal glands! 2 birds one stone :(

Ive grown up on a farm so always around dogs and yeah weve never had to extract anal glands.. Rather disturbing concept actually.. Glad we dont have to get ours extracted! HA!

Thanks

Ben

Ohhk,

Definate vet trip required... They are infected.. I just extracted them and Blood came out towards the last few extractions. So will be to the vet tomorow!

Poor thing! She is alot happyer now though! Must feel better already. She was very good about it in the bath.

Thanks all for your help! Will post up what the vet says!

Cheers all!

Ben

Hi all, Took her to the vet today.

She has intesternal bleeding... From the fudge she got into the other week (and yes.. it was put away IN the pantry... She can open it up and jump..... GOD DAMIT!! LOL) She should be ok. Shes on Antibiotics now. And if that doesnt work she has to go on drip for 2 days.

What can you do... Silly dog lol...

Ben

You need to supervise! And when you can't, restrict her access with a puppy pen/baby gates/closed doors etc. Your pup could die from eating a bunch of things in the average home's pantry. :walkdog: Not to be taken lightly.

Oh :D ..... poor dog. She must be feeling VERY uncomfortable/in pain. Please do keep a close eye on her. Poor dove. She's not to know that getting into stuff is going to cause her harm, nor will she associate what she has done with the pain she would be in now. I agree with the other poster that you do need to supervise. I would look into getting a lock (child-lock?) for your pantry door and any other place where you think she has the real potential to get into and cause herself some harm. Prevention, wherever possible, is the best medicine, as they say.

I hope she recovers without the need for further medical intervention. :walkdog:

Edited by Erny