Vaccines....

joelle

C3 v C5?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use and why?

• C3 - 6 weeks and 10 weeks
    • C5 - 6, 12 and 16 weeks

Wow Cavalier, that is an insane amount of dogs to vaccinate weekly. Where do all these dogs come from? And being in a remote area, do you also then have to travel to properties for large animal consults?

I just can't imagine how you could continuously be jabbing that many dogs per week, and still have the same about to do the following week!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Jed mentioned there is clear correlation in cats between vaccinations and sarcomas. The two vaccines most likely to cause the problem have been found to be FeLV and rabies. THe problem is so well recognised that in the US these vaccines are given in the hind limbs as distally as possible so the limb can be amputated when a sarcoma forms. Left hind for the FeLV vaccine and right hind for the rabies vaccine.

As someone with cats I do not think loping off a leg is a great response to vaccine induce sarcomas.

It was also raised by the pathologist that was at the Jean Dodds lecture in Sydney last year that he has seen vaccine induced sarcomas here from C3 injections. So I would certainly not say that there is no research on vaccines causing cancers there is research available just do a google search on vaccine site sarcomas a huge amount of information come up.

I am one of many that think we over vaccinate our animals and we need to better manage what we do. I still believe in vaccinations but I believe we should be giving the minimum number possible not endlessly jabbing our animals because it is safe as that has clear proven not to be the case.

Jo

Wow Cavalier, that is an insane amount of dogs to vaccinate weekly. Where do all these dogs come from? And being in a remote area, do you also then have to travel to properties for large animal consults?

I just can't imagine how you could continuously be jabbing that many dogs per week, and still have the same about to do the following week!

We live in a transient mining town, so not all the dogs live here permanently. Some do FIFO with their owners, some just live up here for 6 months of the year. We have a 20000 permenant population and about the same transient. Almos everyone has a dog (or three :p )

As Jed mentioned there is clear correlation in cats between vaccinations and sarcomas. The two vaccines most likely to cause the problem have been found to be FeLV and rabies. THe problem is so well recognised that in the US these vaccines are given in the hind limbs as distally as possible so the limb can be amputated when a sarcoma forms. Left hind for the FeLV vaccine and right hind for the rabies vaccine.

As someone with cats I do not think loping off a leg is a great response to vaccine induce sarcomas.

It was also raised by the pathologist that was at the Jean Dodds lecture in Sydney last year that he has seen vaccine induced sarcomas here from C3 injections. So I would certainly not say that there is no research on vaccines causing cancers there is research available just do a google search on vaccine site sarcomas a huge amount of information come up.

I am one of many that think we over vaccinate our animals and we need to better manage what we do. I still believe in vaccinations but I believe we should be giving the minimum number possible not endlessly jabbing our animals because it is safe as that has clear proven not to be the case.

Jo

Yes the link between sarcomas and the FeLV, FIV and rabies vac has been well documented. I saw a case myself a few months back. However Ive seen many many more cases of FeLV and FIV than sarcomas, and Im sure most vets would have a similar experience...

The difference being - these are killed vaccines containing an adjuvant. Killed vaccines are much more likely to cause side effects because of the materials put in to enhance the immune response. This is why we dont see the same sarcomas in dogs - because we use MLV vaccines without adjuvant.

Edited by Cavalier

Cavalier,

Would the majority of the dogs vaccinated be camp dogs ?.

Absolutely not. They are the ones running around spreading parvo, distemper and hepatitis around the town :rofl:

Ive been in this town 18 months and Ive seen 3 cases of hepatitis (CAV), 5 cases of distemper and 10 cases of parvo per week on average. Its ridiculous :rofl:

Cavalier,

Absolutely not. They are the ones running around spreading parvo, distemper and hepatitis around the town :rofl:

Ive been in this town 18 months and Ive seen 3 cases of hepatitis (CAV), 5 cases of distemper and 10 cases of parvo per week on average. Its ridiculous :rofl:

Just wondered if there was a pro gramme running to vaccinate the camp dogs. (pretty difficult to do)

As camp dogs are biggest problems in some areas. Yes, we know camp dogs spread every thing. :rofl:

Cavalier,

Absolutely not. They are the ones running around spreading parvo, distemper and hepatitis around the town :laugh:

Ive been in this town 18 months and Ive seen 3 cases of hepatitis (CAV), 5 cases of distemper and 10 cases of parvo per week on average. Its ridiculous ;)

Just wondered if there was a pro gramme running to vaccinate the camp dogs. (pretty difficult to do)

As camp dogs are biggest problems in some areas. Yes, we know camp dogs spread every thing. :mad

We have been lobbying the council since we got here to do something. The neighbouring town (400kms away) has a programme where the vets go around injecting the dogs with covinan to sterilise them for 3 months to try and stop them breeding. Doesnt stop the disease problem though :rofl: And the diseases arent isolated to dogs - hookworm, roundworm and tapeworm infestations in the children is out of control :rofl: