35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use and why?

• C3 - 6 weeks and 10 weeks
    • C5 - 6, 12 and 16 weeks

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the above. All other things being equal, I prefer C3 at 8, 12, and 16 weeks.

There is IMO no need to do a vaccine at 6 weeks except in exceptional situations (for example, a shelter pup living in an environment where it might be exposed to parvo, and which might not have had sufficient colostrum to provide sufficient maternal antibody protection).

But which regime you follow depend on more than what you think is "right" - different vaccines from different manufacturers have different recommended schedules, and your vet may advise a different schedule again depending on the prevalence of different diseases in your local area. If you have a pupp then IMO the best thing to do is find a vet who you trust, and who is happy to answer your questions and explain their reasoning, to advise you.

I think I got jipped by my vet.

Breeder did C3 at 8wks, then my vet gave C3 at 10wks and C5 at 12wks ... BUT he told me it was a new one that could be done every 2 weeks!?!? :thumbsup:

Have since switched vets for that and other reasons. :)

None of the above

C3 at 8-10 weeks and a second c3 4 weeks after the first

ETA: There's no point vaccinating against kennel cough as they will get kennel cough regarldess.

I disagree.

Yes dogs can still catch kennel cough if they are vaccinated however the disease will be much less severe than if they were not vaccinated.

All cases of kennel cough I have seen that developed into a pneumonia were in unvaccinated dogs.

I guess I should have added another option. :cheer:

None of the above

C3 at 8-10 weeks and a second c3 4 weeks after the first

ETA: There's no point vaccinating against kennel cough as they will get kennel cough regarldess.

This is what I have been told too, but my vet is indicating that I am not doing the right thing by the dog not to vaccinate against kennel cough, they said they do it to "err on the side of caution" but apparently there are 13 strains of kennel cough and the vaccine only covers 2 :cry: My breeder advised me to have a C3 at 10 weeks (She has already had her first one) then thats it til 12 months. but my vet wants a c5 at 12 and 16 weeks. Is it really all about the health of the dog or the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :cry:

Neither!

C3 @ 8-10 weeks

C3 @ 12 - 16 weeks

C3 @ 15 months of age & never again in the dogs life

yep this is what my breeder is advising - give or take a week or 2 :cry:

Edited by joelle

I strongly disagree.

Ive seen multiple dogs over the years who have had their puppy vaccines, then the owner got lazy and didnt get any more, then the animal contracted parvovirus at a later age.

Until they have done conclusive studies involving a large sample size and using a whole range of different vaccines, I will continue to recommend either annual vaccination or annual titre testing with revaccination as required. If the vaccine is registered for use every year - this is what we have to do as professionals, doing otherwise leaves us open to legal action.

I also find it very disturbing that people are listening to their breeders, over their veterinarian when it comes to health advice. Yes, breeders are a wealth of knowledge on their breed - but they are not health professionals and do not necessarily know what is best for your dogs health.

Joelle - your vet is correct. Most vaccines are registered for use at 8, 12 then 16 weeks for the puppy course. I have seen a HUGE number of pups with confirmed parvo even after their second vaccine at 12 weeks. It is IMHO irresponsible of your breeder to be dolling out health advice which contradicts that of your vet.

Ive seen multiple dogs over the years who have had their puppy vaccines, then the owner got lazy and didnt get any more, then the animal contracted parvovirus at a later age.

Were those animals tested after the puppy vaccines to ensure they seroconverted, though, or are we just assuming they became immune to parvo after vaccination and then lost that immunity subsequently?

Until they have done conclusive studies involving a large sample size and using a whole range of different vaccines, I will continue to recommend either annual vaccination or annual titre testing with revaccination as required.

I doubt anyone will ever design and conduct the perfect vaccination study, but I've seen several large studies that strongly suggest vaccines tend to protect dogs for at least three years after their full puppy vaccine schedule, and haven't seen any good studies showing that adult dogs can lose their parvo immunity after showing a protective titre.

Joelle, I agree with Cavalier that you should go with your vet's advice, they know the local conditions, and they know how to use the drugs that they're prescribing. If you don't trust your vet's advice, then get a second opinion from another vet - not from your breeder, who is probably well intentioned, but doesn't necessarily know much about vaccines.

I strongly disagree.

Until they have done conclusive studies involving a large sample size and using a whole range of different vaccines, I will continue to recommend either annual vaccination or annual titre testing with revaccination as required. If the vaccine is registered for use every year - this is what we have to do as professionals, doing otherwise leaves us open to legal action.

I also find it very disturbing that people are listening to their breeders, over their veterinarian when it comes to health advice. Yes, breeders are a wealth of knowledge on their breed - but they are not health professionals and do not necessarily know what is best for your dogs health.

Joelle - your vet is correct. Most vaccines are registered for use at 8, 12 then 16 weeks for the puppy course. I have seen a HUGE number of pups with confirmed parvo even after their second vaccine at 12 weeks. It is IMHO irresponsible of your breeder to be dolling out health advice which contradicts that of your vet.

Were those animals tested after the puppy vaccines to ensure they seroconverted, though, or are we just assuming they became immune to parvo after vaccination and then lost that immunity subsequently?

Until they have done conclusive studies involving a large sample size and using a whole range of different vaccines, I will continue to recommend either annual vaccination or annual titre testing with revaccination as required.

I doubt anyone will ever design and conduct the perfect vaccination study, but I've seen several large studies that strongly suggest vaccines tend to protect dogs for at least three years after their full puppy vaccine schedule, and haven't seen any good studies showing that adult dogs can lose their parvo immunity after showing a protective titre.

Joelle, I agree with Cavalier that you should go with your vet's advice, they know the local conditions, and they know how to use the drugs that they're prescribing. If you don't trust your vet's advice, then get a second opinion from another vet - not from your breeder, who is probably well intentioned, but doesn't necessarily know much about vaccines.

My breeder is going on advice from her (very reputable) vet So which vet should I listen to? Mine is local (and probably reputable, , hers is 30 mins away. SO how do know which vets are in it for th emoney and which are in it for the dog. Hwo can two vets have such differing opinions.