November Challenge

tlc

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, pretty new to photography, took this photo yesterday and I love it :D I think i took it on AV mode as I was mostly using that yesterday as I am trying to learn more about all the modes.

It lost alot of detail through compressing it, Im not sure of the best way to post the best detailed photos.

post-21285-1257105621_thumb.jpg

:( yes I think they will notice

I will be up for this one, I need some great shots of the kids for christmas pressie, so portraits will be great, do we get a tutorial please

Some of us are still working out M setting

Absolutely Pandii... it will have to wait until the morning though. If I start typing a long response now, my neglected husband will keep hounding me to ask when I'm getting off the computer. :D

Tried to get some shots this morning, wanted to get half sleepy kids as they woke up, I had my camera on manual and think I didnt everything wrong, as they all come out black :thumbsup:

Just when you are ready Ash, I understand you are very busy :wave:

Love the photos already, especially the second one on the books, the snake and the tax time, mine just look crap :laugh:

these are a couple of portraits I did for one of our adopters last week :D

Nina Bean

4066188018_108035aca3.jpg

Canon 400D

ISO 400

Shutter speed: 1/320

Aperture: f/2.8

Focal Length: 200 mm

Flash: Off

Lowie

4066188090_01e08168fd.jpg

Canon 400D

ISO 200

Shutter speed: 1/4000

Aperture: f/1.8

Focal Length: 50 mm

Flash: Off

Edited by anniek

Portraits are all I seem to be doing lately while studying. "Dog sit here. Great. Good. Done!" :rolleyes: Nice and quick!

Here are a few favs from the last month...

My all time favourite photo of Jedi

3981818287_7153297690.jpg

A Photographer's Assistant

4046525784_14eb7e2f49.jpg

Jedi in da bath

4042269906_857cd0ef46.jpg

Woofenpup's Demi (lappy puppy)

4019671403_f26e1033c2.jpg

Jedi and Ahsoka telling me how boring study is...

4045782667_e9d82e5fb3.jpg

Daredevil Jedi - ready to try out for the Krusty Demons!

4045762131_2f3be0b5b0.jpg

And so Ahsoka doesn't feel left out...

4045761983_79275b91c5.jpg

Some awesome shots!!

B&C Love tax time, he can do my taxes anyday. :laugh:

AnnieK Interesting perspective of Nina, nice shot and Lowie is such a cutie!!

TN, I love all of yours they are all fantastic but my favorite would have to be the pup, she is so cute!! Your bee shot is amazing!!

DD, lovely baby belly shots, I like the first one as well!!

Here is one from me

My friends Mini Schnauzer pup Harriet.

DSC_0079-1.jpg

Black doggies are hard to shoot too.

Hey Pandii, I found the easiest way to start in Manual is to have your camera on one priority mode at a itme instead of trying both together, So I think by memory your pentax had tv and av mode, put it on av mode and set your apeture and let the camera choose a shutter speed for the shot.

so if you are inside have a play with your iso, I usually go around 250 - 400 depending on how dark the room is, practice on the kids, the av mode is how wide the opening in the lense is so you choose that and the camera will decide how fast to take the pic if that makes sense.

have a practice if your shot is white then the opening is too wide so back it off a bit and remember that the smaller the number say f2.8 the wider the apeture. Just as an example the apeture setting on my Schnazer shot was f5.3 but my iso was only 100, if I had my iso higher I wound have had to change the apeture to compensate.

I just read back what i wrote and not sure i even understand it all :laugh: Maybe i should leave it to the pros!! ash may be able to explain in more easy to understand terms??

But for me learning to shoot in full manual took a lot of time and even now I still choose one or the other depending on what i am shooting.

Hope this helped a bit!

pandii,l I haven't forgotten you - we're just snowed under. I only get a chance to duck in here before I have to get back to work.

Step one... just use Av mode for now.

Switch the dial to Av. Now you will see numbers that look like 4.5, 5.6, 8, 11 and so on. These are your aperture settings. The smaller the number is (1.4 , 2.8, 3.5 etc - your lens might only go down to 3.5 or so) the bigger then opening in your lens is. The bigger the opening is, more light gets in meaning you can have a faster shutter speed (don't worry about that bit for now, your camera will set the shutter speed for you when you are in Av mode).

When you see images with the subject in focus and the background blurred, that is called, "bokeh". This happens when you use a small number/ open aperture because so much light is allowed to hit the sensor, the camera doesn't have time to create alot of detail except for the point you are focused on.

So if you go up the numbers to something like 22, the camera makes the lens opening much smaller, meaning that the camera needs more light to produce an image, meaning that your shutter speed will be longer. Shooting high apertures is something that landscape photographers will use to capture as much detail in the foreground, mid-ground and background as possible. When using high apertures such as 22 or so, you may need to use a tripod depending on the amount of light available.

This is a quick run down on aperture. A good place to start is to set your camera at 400 ISO, Av of 5.6 and sit one of your kids on the ground in a shady spot outside (if you can be in the shade also, it will help). You stay standing and shoot from above and have your child looking into the camera. This should give you good depth of field and nice catch lights in your subject's eyes. From that staring point, alter you Av and see what sort of results you get.

Hope this helps. :laugh:

Sorry Ash, I know you are so busy, but I do appreciate your time and knowledge

Just a quick thing, the numbers I think you are talking about go down to 2.8 and have a F in front of them

The other number has a " beside it and goes down to 0.6

and I have some numbers that go from 0.0 to 2.0 and have a - and + in front of them,

The first ones are aperture settings???

Will try with your help tomorrow, thanks again :laugh: