Bepanthen Safe For Use On Dogs?

Tahini

Hi,

Just wondering if Bepanthen is safe to use on a raw wound? Bit weepy, doesn't need stitches, but would like to put something on it to help. (Out of doggy antiseptic :champagne: )

He's fine :cheer: Still walking around and playing with the others and will have full supervision until all healed :cheer:

Thanks!

EFS :)

Edited by ButterNut

I wouldn't use Bepanthen. Not because I think it is not safe for use, but I think the use in your instance would be inappropriate. What sort of "raw wound" are you talking about and where is the wound located?

You can use Betadine if you have any in the human medicine cabinet. Or Active Manuka Honey. I swear by AMH, but I admit I've not used it on wounds - mainly because of the sticky messiness of it and also for the potential for it to attract dirt and perhaps flies. But I believe others have used it in this fashion quite successfully. Wonderful stuff, AMH (High UMF factor is what you need - NOT supermarket quality).

But I think if the wound is a bit weepy, I'd be the most comfortable with Betadine.

I wouldn't use Bepanthen. Not because I think it is not safe for use, but I think the use in your instance would be inappropriate. What sort of "raw wound" are you talking about and where is the wound located?

You can use Betadine if you have any in the human medicine cabinet. Or Active Manuka Honey. I swear by AMH, but I admit I've not used it on wounds - mainly because of the sticky messiness of it and also for the potential for it to attract dirt and perhaps flies. But I believe others have used it in this fashion quite successfully. Wonderful stuff, AMH (High UMF factor is what you need - NOT supermarket quality).

But I think if the wound is a bit weepy, I'd be the most comfortable with Betadine.

Just to add something here. It IS possible to get High UMF factor AMH honey from the supermarket. Mostly you will find it either in the section with the medications or alternatively in the part where the Organic products are kept. It will clearly state on the labelling that it is "medicine" quality honey and will state the UMF factor on the front label in much the same way that sunscreens state their SPF factor.

Just to add something here. It IS possible to get High UMF factor AMH honey from the supermarket. Mostly you will find it either in the section with the medications or alternatively in the part where the Organic products are kept. It will clearly state on the labelling that it is "medicine" quality honey and will state the UMF factor on the front label in much the same way that sunscreens state their SPF factor.

Thank you for that, Ellz. I've never seen it at the supermarkets but I admit I didn't think to specifically look in those two sections. I've only been able to source UMF 5+ at Safeway, but I'll make a point of checking out the other sections. I don't bother much with any UMF factors below 20+.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Erny

Thanks everyone :D

He got grabbed by a dog (not one of ours) and the fur was taken off and there's a bit of swelling (looked worse yesterday - he's moving around fine, just want to make sure he doesn't get an infection). Cleaned him up with some salty water and did use Bepanthen last night (no replies :mad).

Mum happened to buy the Manuka Honey (the medicinal one) last week and will use some on him now :)

Thank you for that, Ellz. I've never seen it at the supermarkets but I admit I didn't think to specifically look in those two sections. I've only been able to source UMF 5+ at Safeway, but I'll make a point of checking out the other sections. I don't bother much with any UMF factors below 20+.

Cheers! :D

Erny

There's one brand that do a 20+ that's sold in Coles. I can't remember the name of it, but I can visualise the jar. It's got a red and blue label. :)