Canine Disc Dog - Victoria

I was talking to the canine disc dog people at the world dog games, they told me they actually run training clinics. The president of the club is Damian Noud, was thinking about perhaps contacting him if enough interest and getting him to run a clinic in Victoria.

Was also thinking this would be an easy sport to introduce in dogs clubs as all you need is the outlay for a frisbee.

What I was surprised about in this sport, is that the dog does not have to jump really high and catch the frisbee, it can just run along on the ground and catch the frisbee, had a quick little go with Tia, and she managed to catch one 15 ft away.

www.frisbeedogs.asn.au

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thjis is an example of what happens at a clinic.

Spring Fling Training Clinic

What Date? Sunday, 25th October 2009

Lisa Williamson's Border Collie Moss makes a catch

during a 2005 BARK demonstration for the

Pine Rivers Dog Obedience Club.

Photo: © Damian Noud (Used with permission).

What Time? Registration - 9:30 am

Clinic Starts - 10:00 am

Optional Practice Competition - 12:30pm

Event Concludes - 1:30 pm

Where? GJ Walter Park

Shore Street East

Cleveland Qld

(UBD Map 186 E16)

Is It Sanctioned? Yes! This is an ACDA Sanctioned Event.

How Much? $10 per participating dog for non-members

$5 per participating dog for members

Member Benefit Become a member at this clinic for just $10 and get your first canine entry FREE!

Contact Info Damian Noud

Events Manager

(07) 5495 6700

[email protected]

This is a training clinic for owners who want to learn how to play Canine Disc with their dog. The Training Clinic will assist both handlers who already have a dog that catches Frisbees and those people whose pets haven't yet learnt how to catch a Frisbee.

The Training Clinic will include instruction about the following:

* How to throw the disc

* How to teach your dog to chase and catch the disc

* How to teach your dog to bring the disc back to you

After the Training Clinic, teams who have had success grasping the basics will have the option of participating in a practice competition sanctioned by the Australian Canine Disc Association (ACDA). After paying your Training Clinic fee there is no additional charge to participate in the practice competition.

Get your dog, jump in the car, and come join the fun!

Instructors

The instructor for this Training Clinic will be Liz Buchanan and Tony Redwood.

Liz has enjoyed Canine Disc since 2006 with her 2 1/2 year old border collie, Ember. This team came second at their first State Championships in 2006 and won the Howl-a-ween competition in 2007. Since 2007, Liz has been the sectretary of BARK, as well as a judge and instructor. In addition, Liz has her Level 2 General Principles Coaching Qualification from the Australian Sports Commission.

Tony loves playing disc with his two young Border Collies, CK and Xena. In their first year of competition both pups achieved their FDA and both have passes towards their FDE title. While Xena won the 2008 Dogmania Canine Disc Classic, CK and Xena tied for third in the 2008 Canine Disc Nationals and CK tied for second in the Australian leg of the 2008 World Cup. Tony is a great believer that frisbee should be a great, safe way to have a lot of fun with your best mate and strives to help others achieve their goals no matter what they may be.

Facilities

GJ Walter Park is a beautiful facility right on the water at Cleveland. Redland Shire Council have done a great job equipping this off-leash dog park. Parking is free in the car park located on Shore Street East. Toilet/bathroom facilities are available at the site. Lots of shade is available under trees beside the field. Drinking water is available from taps on the site. Wham-O Fastback Frisbee discs, club merchandise, drinks and snacks will be available for purchase. There is play equipment for children and a beach. A free BBQ is available on site if you want to have lunch afterwards under one of the pergolas.

Things to Bring

You need to bring a leash for your dog. If you can, please bring a crate or some means to tie out your dog so you can practice your throwing technique while your dog rests. You also need to bring a water bowl for your dog. Drinkable tap water will be available on-site.

Frisbee Discs

Fastback Frisbee® discs will be on sale at this event. Fastback Frisbees are approved by the ACDA for competition use in Australia. They were specifically designed for safe use with disc catching dogs and hover a really long time.

New: $10

Pre-Loved (when available): $3

Amy King's dog Bogey is always ready to play with the big dogs.

Photo: © C.Guthrie, Pix 'n Pages.

BARK Membership

Annual membership in the Brisbane and Region K9 Disc Club (BARK) can be purchased at this event. New memberships and renewals receive one free canine entry at this event. BARK members pay $5 for training clinics as opposed to $10 that non-member's pay so you've paid for your membership in just two events. Membership runs from January 1st to December 31st for each year. Individual membership is $10.

ACDA Affiliate Membership

The Australian Canine Disc Association (ACDA) is the sanctioning body for Canine Disc in Australia. Because this is an ACDA sanctioned event, all participants must agree to become ACDA Affiliate Members. Affiliate Membership in ACDA is free.

Also, all competitors at ACDA sanctioned events are charged a $2 ACDA levy which funds ACDA and the services it provides for its membership. However, BARK will pay your ACDA levy on your behalf out of the event fees you pay when you attend the event.

Awards and Titles

Because this is an ACDA sanctioned event, teams who participate in the practice competition after the training clinic will be eligible to count their competition rounds towards the Awards and Titles that will be issued by the Australian Canine Disc Association (ACDA).

Practice Competition Rules

The optional practice competition that will follow the training clinic will provide an opportunity for teams to learn how Canine Disc competitions work. The practice competition will give each team an opportunity to compete in a round of Toss & Fetch, a very simple and fun competition format used throughout the world. If your dog tries to catch discs and likes to play with you then you are encouraged to give it a go. However, the practice competition is optional, so if you only want to attend the training clinic that's OK.

No, but I recon we could convince him to come down, so would have to see how much he charges, and pay for expenses etc. Just seeing if there is any interest.

I don't think it would be too hard to convince us to come down at all. One of our biggest goals for WDG was simply to showcase the sport and to grow it outside its current SEQ (plus Townsville) base.

The feedback we got both from other WDG people and the general public was absolutely awesome and we would be more than happy to work with anyone who thought they had the potential to get a club up and running!!

Damian and his wife Karen are the people who brought the game to Australia - it was just brilliant that he and Jade won on the weekend. As for me, I'm not even a little disappointed that we got second - it was such a hard environment for the dogs to work in - especially on their own and away from their handlers. (Bloody soft Border Collies!!)

I'm happy to help out with any other questions, but I'm sure Damian will also be more than willing to have a chat - his details are on the website as well.

Hope to be talking a lot more soon!

Cheers

Tony (AND CK)

Edited by Agility Dogs

Tony, if others were willing to assist me (God only knows I've already got my fingers in so many pies), I would love to help start up a Club here in Melbourne.

Training venue would not be a problem. I run a business therefore I have absolutely no idea about how Clubs are run and what is required.

Would Damian be the best person to contact about this??

Anyone out there willing to help out?

BTW, watching all of your dogs perform under those circumstances was absolutely awesome! Well done to all of you! :eek:

Edited by Kelpie-i

Tony, if others were willing to assist me (God only knows I've already got my fingers in so many pies), I would love to help start up a Club here in Melbourne.

Training venue would not be a problem. I run a business therefore I have absolutely no idea about how Clubs are run and what is required.

Would Damian be the best person to contact about this??

Anyone out there willing to help out?

BTW, watching all of your dogs perform under those circumstances was absolutely awesome! Well done to all of you! :rofl:

Yep, Damian is best to chat to - he has the big picture in mind and is really keen to get things happening.

Thanks for your kind comments. I think CK's stress actually made it easier for me (apart from running so far and then having to steady to throw!). Focussing so much on him kept my mind off everything else.

My husband was going for CK to win. Really appreciated the time given to me, when I was asking the questions about disc dogs. I know that everyone was under pressure etc,.

Your husband is a very wise man, although I hope he had better luck on the cup today!! :rofl: Aside from the pressure of keeping CK sane it was really just heaps of fun! To quote one of the production guys - 'very rock'n'roll'..............(Although you might have thought differently when you saw Damian line up to throw his last disc.)

The guys are a great bunch of people who really love their dogs. The best thing about frisbee IMO is that it is accessible to just about everyone with a dog and it is a realistic goal. It isn't nearly as scary as obedience or agility where you have to train for months or even years before being able to get into the ring. (Although Jade and CK both have agility titles so it probably helps a little bit.)

We just teach a few basic things that help the dogs with safety and then you are away. It's pretty hard to break a dog mentally playing disc and even if you aren't getting it right they don't seem to mind too much because it is such a fun game for them.

Just in case you missed it in the email.......

[email protected]

or drop me a PM if you have any other questions in the mean time or I can pass on your details to Damian. (I'm on the committee of BARK, but Damian is president of Canine Disc Australia.)

Tony, would it be best to organise to have you guys come down for an information/training demo day (or something like that) first so that we could gage interest and also learn what is involved?

It would probably give us the opportunity to chat with you and Damian face to face about setting this up.

Tony, would it be best to organise to have you guys come down for an information/training demo day (or something like that) first so that we could gage interest and also learn what is involved?

It would probably give us the opportunity to chat with you and Damian face to face about setting this up.

Let me have a chat to Damian when he gets back and I'll answer in the next day or so.

Cheers

Tony

Let me have a chat to Damian when he gets back and I'll answer in the next day or so.

Cheers

Tony

How exciting that frisbee is taking off! WDG were a lot of fun and it was great that everyone saw how much fun frisbee is.

I am positive that Damian and Karen would love to organise a clinic down in Victoria - Canine Disc Australia held shows at the Melbourne Royal to start getting people interested so would be great to get some clubs happening as well.

Looking forward to the 2010 Canine Disc National Championships - more the merrier.

Liz :laugh:

is there any books, videos, youtube links to get started? good ones?

There are heaps of Youtube on Freestyle which is the next 'type' of canine disc sport played. It's a lot of fun but I would recommend learning the basics first before starting freestyle but certainly motivating to see what you can do.

Links for some great advice and canine disc community is – K9 Disc; Pawsitive Vybe; Discdogopedia; K9 Athlete and Disc Dog Learning Lab

Some videos to watch so you get the hang of it – gives you ideas of what you want to try and also what you don’t want to try. (not in any order)

Karen and Amber 2006 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAR0nvDbJP8

Damian and Tigereye 2006 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r4oCil_5K8...re=channel_page

Dean and Skye US Nationals 2007 -

Disc Dog Freestyle -

Japan Style Vid -

World Canine Disc Champs -

Mark and Skyler -

Jada - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec--9mk2D24...feature=related

Awesome Frisbee Dogs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsyZToSg--U...feature=related

Chicago Bears Half time entertainment -

Frisbee Dog -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=...p;v=axoyB4pypWY

Have fun watching!

Liz