Welsh Corgi ( Pembroke)

Troy

The Welsh Corgi (Pembroke)

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=155 )

Group: Group 5 (Working Dogs)

General Appearance: Low set, strong, sturdily built, alert and active, giving impression of substance and stamina in small space.

Characteristics: Bold in outlook, workmanlike.

Temperament: Outgoing and friendly, never nervous or aggressive.

Head And Skull: Head foxy in shape and appearance, with alert, intelligent expression, skull fairly wide and flat between ears, moderate amount of stop. Length of foreface to be in proportion to skull 3 to 5. Muzzle slightly tapering. Nose black.

Eyes: Well set, round, medium size, brown, blending with colour of coat

Ears: Pricked, medium sized, slightly rounded. Line drawn from tip of nose through eye should, if extended, pass through, or close to tip of ear.

Mouth: Jaws strong with perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Fairly long.

Forequarters: Lower legs short and as straight as possible, forearm moulded round chest. Ample bone, carried right down to feet. Elbows fitting closely to sides, neither loose nor tied. Shoulders well laid, and angulated at 90 degrees to the upper arm.

Body: Medium length, well sprung ribs, not short coupled, slightly tapering, when viewed from above. Level topline. Chest broad and deep, well let down between forelegs.

Hindquarters: Strong and flexible, well angulated stifle. Legs short. Ample bone carried right down to feet. Hocks straight when viewed from behind.

Feet: Oval, toes strong, well arched, and tight, two centre toes slightly advance of two outer, pads strong and well arched. Nails short.

Tail: Short, preferably natural.

Docked: Short.

Undocked: Set in line with topline. Natural carriage above topline when moving or alert.

Gait/Movement: Free and active, neither loose nor tied. Forelegs move well forward, without too much lift, in unison with thrusting action of hindlegs.

Coat: Medium length, straight with dense undercoat, never soft, wavy or wiry.

Colour: Self colours in Red, Sable, Fawn, Black and Tan, with or without white markings on legs, brisket and neck. Some white on head and foreface permissible.

Sizes: Height: approx. 25-30 cms (10-12 ins) at shoulder

Weight:

Dogs 10-12 kgs (22-26 lbs)

Bitches 9-11 kgs (20-24 lbs)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• 2 weeks later...

Breeder and exhibitor

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

Officially recognised by the Kennel Club in 1934 and given recognition as a seperate breed to that of the Cardigan. A herding breed of Spitz origin...

3. How common is it in Australia?

The Pembroke is a well loved and known breed, though over the years the number of actual breeders has diminished, the cry from the public for their very own Pembroke hasn't!

A good 12 - 14 years or more.

From the breed standard "Bold in outlook, workmanlike...outgoing and friendly, never nervous or aggressive."

The Pembroke is a very people orientated breed and loves nothing more than spending time with its human. They are cheeky, happy, active, laid back and everything else in between all rolled into one!

On lead - 45 minutes to an hour of daily exercise minimum

Pembrokes love a good off lead run (in a suitable off lead permitted area) and it's not uncommon for some to love a swim!

Yes, they are a wonderful family or one owner dog and fit in with very little difficulty in most environments.

I don't feel that any breed can (or should) occupy themselves for long periods. That's not saying that a Pembroke with sufficient exercise, a loving family and plenty to do (toys/treats/bones etc) while the family is away from the home at work or out for the day, can't happily live as a solo dog.

In essence, very little...they are relatively low maintenance, a brush once a week and bath once a month is more than enough.

Nails should be trimmed regularly, every two weeks or in some cases, once a month, they can and do wear down during exercise so it's just a case of keeping your eye on the nails and trimming accordingly. Most breeders will trim puppy nails from an early age and it's important that the new owner continues regular trimming.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Most breeds have the potential to be too boisterous! It all comes down to setting boundaries and good training...they make a wonderful family pet and as with all breeds, should never be left unsupervised with very small children. Raise them well and raise your children to respect the dog (ie. don't allow your child to pull ears, tail etc) and you'll have yourself a wonderful, loving companion.

Recently in Australia breeders have been given access to a DNA test for vWD I (von Willebrands Disease), many breeders are now testing their breeding stock for this mild blood clotting disorder.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (Eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Puppies from an ethical registered breeder will come with Limit or Main registration papers from the relevant state canine controlling body (eg. Dogs NSW).

Ensure you receive a vaccination card for your puppy, diet information, breed information, and ongoing support from your breeder.

Edited by Aziah

• 1 month later...

Owner.

12-14years

Smart, active, loving, friendly, bold, curious, cheeky, playful, confident, eager the please. Corgis are big dogs in small bodies (with a bark to match - they are great watchdogs). They love pretty much everyone they meet and are fairly laid back, some more so than others.

Overall they are an active breed but it varies within the different lines. Some dogs will be happy with 30 minutes, others will need at least an hour. I'd say a bare minimum of 30 minutes on lead in hand with playing throughout the day (whether it be with another dog/human/toys/kong etc). I find that mine will walk for as long as I ask them to, they have great stamina as a working breed, but you need to make sure you don't over exercise them.

Corgis don't bounce off the walls if they miss a walk but to keep them happy and healthy they need a good one. They MUST have their own toys to destroy or you're asking for trouble. They play very rough with other dogs but can also be very gentle.

Yes. They must not give in to a corgis pleading eyes or cheeky face though, and be able stand up to be a strong leader when the dog tests the boundaries (which they do). Corgis are really, really easy to train and they love to work and please their humans.

I can't really comment as mine are never without dog company and only without human company for 1-2 hours a day.

A nice thorough brush when needed. They are pretty wash'n'wear and only need a bath when they get dirty. Some may get dirty more often than others :) but they don't really get stinky. Their white parts just turn grey from dirt :( I also trim the hair around their pads, helps to stop things getting stuck in there, stops them sliding on tiles too, and I think it would keep them slightly cooler because they sweat through their paws and all that. Fluffies need brushing more often as they have feathering that gets knotted easily. The feathering behind the ears needs to be brushed daily.

They are a spitz breed and in true spitz fashion they shed bucket loads! It's only twice a year though, January to June and July to December :rofl: Regular brushing and vacuuming keeps it under control but you have to be ready for there to always be some hair around the place. Even if the dogs are outside and you've just tediously vacuumed every nook and cranny, there will be hair! It's not that bad though, you just can't wear dark coloured clothing and you have to warn guests not to worry if there's hair in their drinks.

If you raise them to know that there is a difference between playing with dogs and playing with humans then they are great. Mine will play so rough with each other but when small children play with them they are so gentle and put up with all sorts of things (being climbed all over, ears being played with, being pulled onto laps for cuddles etc). I wouldn't recommend them for the elderly for one reason being that they are a serious tripping hazard. I am sure you can train them to stay away from your feet but mine love to get underfoot.

Corgis are a healthy breed and although the general public associates their dwarfism with a long back and back problems, it isn't very common. Corgis can have eye problems but good breeders will have their dogs tested by a qualified vet.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Everything Aziah said and also request to see documentation that the parents and puppy's eyes have been tested. Some breeders may do hip and elbow scoring but I'm not sure if it is a commonly done thing within the corgi breed.