Rules Of Dog Training

Thought this would be a fun topic. I will start with five long standing "rules" I live by:

(1) Dogs do not stop hearing - they only stop listening

(2) Without focus from the dog you cannot teach it

(3) Never expect a dog to do, what he has not been trained to do.

(4) The sit command is the most import command. It can be used so many ways.

(5) Never ever show off. Training is training. Testing is testing.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great so far guys. I will post some more thoughts soon. I have a list of about 40!!!

Over the last couple of weeks I have started a young gundog training group. The dogs range from 5 months to 12 months. The reason why I thought of my list was because of this group. Man they are hard work, LOL.

Over the last couple of weeks I have started a young gundog training group. The dogs range from 5 months to 12 months. The reason why I thought of my list was because of this group. Man they are hard work, LOL.

Really? where abouts are you i would be interested in that with my new puppy Novas 2 years old so he is too old

How would a non-swimming, non-retreiving weimaraner go?

:thumbsup: sorry, couldn't help but giggle.

I'm sure with the right training, he'd be fine... oonce he learnt to love fetch and getting his feet wet. Maybe he could just learn to 'point' at the game and let the other dogs fetch it?

Maybe he could just learn to 'point' at the game and let the other dogs fetch it?

Now, this would be my older Vizslas idea of a great days hunting!!! He loves to hunt and point but never got the retrieving gene and doesn't like those icky birds in his mouth... :thumbsup:

Thank goodness my younger boy loves his birds and loves to retrieve.

Training your dog should never be about ego.

Nat

Are you directing this comment at anyone in particular? What do you mean?

heh, two "what do I mean's" - guess I should clarify :thumbsup:

I mean that sometimes it is hard to go to obedience school and simply be there to learn without wanting to look good or end up feeling shamed by your dog acting up. People can feel embarrassed by their dog's behaviour and it becomes about them and not the dog.

I thought this thread was about "training rules" so I don't know who you thought I was directing it at.

Nat