British Bulldog Prices?

rastus_froggy

$3000 sounds about the right price.

Have any of you asked the stud fee's for Bulldogs ?.

What with the cost of an out of hours C section and 24/7 care and even then the loss rate can be high, plus all the necessary test to try and produce good healthy ones I would not complain about the price.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughly the same as the price of a pup as in most breeds - so which came first, the high stud fees or the high puppy prices ;)

What with the cost of an out of hours C section

Elective rather than emergency caesars are the go for the breed, so out of hours is for the unlucky or unwary.

Why are Bulldog puppies so expensive

In the future you are going to find many breeds of puppy are expensive. Not just British Bulldog puppies. This is the future that puppy buyers now face.

In Europe today, breeds such as British Bulldogs have had bans slapped on them, because fanatics have decreed that the features of these breeds must disappear. Features that have been around a very long time. Fanatics are declaring that all BBs must have a "pump handle tail". Few people today would know what a pump handle tail looks like on a British Bulldog!

Australia does what Europe does, like it or not.

There are not a lot of BB breeders around. So, there are a not a lot of BB puppies around.

Do you know what happens when lovely things become "hard to get"? The price goes UP.

We are looking at a future where syndicates and trust funds will be needed to keep breeds such as the British Bulldog around for future generations to enjoy. They wont be a puppy that you will be able to buy on the open market. They will be a collectors item and will only be able to be purchased by wealthy people who have an interest in breeding.

This is the future for many breeds of dog.

$3000 for a British Bulldog puppy?

It is now an investment, it is no longer just a pet.

Souff

edited cos the brain went out to lunch ;)

Edited by Souff

Maybe she hasn't inquired for a long time.

My son paid $1500 over 10 years ago.

But you get what you pay for and we still have him with us today.

My biggest gripe is that way too many are from BYB's, poorly bred and come with huge health probs.

Consequently many an unknowing buyer spends outrageous prices purchasing and within 5 years they are staring at their much loved canine friend in an urn.

Tell your friend to keep saving and research the breed carefully.

Then if she is still interested, buy from a reputable breeder and she should share many years of happiness with her chosen breed.

BB's are a pleasure to live with, they are delightful little clowns and will make you smile every day.

We did all this, got from a very reputable breeder, so many people told us how great she was, we did a lot of research into the breeder.

The first time we rung her about a problem she told us not to be silly and that we were over reacting, the next time, she never bothered to contact us back, she was no help and we lost our boy at the age of 8 due to the problems he had with his heart ;)

peddlers thats all i have to say... anything more than 800 is ridiculous to me. i got my 2 patterdales terriers for 250 each.

yeah, I'm sure they're health tested and the parents are very well looked after and recieve the best of health care...unless the breeder is taking one hell of a financial hit.

peddlers thats all i have to say... anything more than 800 is ridiculous to me. i got my 2 patterdales terriers for 250 each.

yeah, I'm sure they're health tested and the parents are very well looked after and recieve the best of health care...unless the breeder is taking one hell of a financial hit.

thats just excuse to peddle. if they cant afford to.. get a job.

BBs seem to average about 5 or 6 pups per litter, some having up to 9, from looking at the breed records.

That's interesting, I thought they had a lot less than that. We have the same problem with Boston Terriers. My OH got our little girl over 14 years ago and she was $650 the last breeder I spoke to wanted over $2000. I think it's just because they became more popular. Definatley on the "when I have a savings account with savings in it" day.

BBs seem to average about 5 or 6 pups per litter, some having up to 9, from looking at the breed records.

That's interesting, I thought they had a lot less than that. We have the same problem with Boston Terriers. My OH got our little girl over 14 years ago and she was $650 the last breeder I spoke to wanted over $2000. I think it's just because they became more popular. Definatley on the "when I have a savings account with savings in it" day.

we must have posted at the same time...i agree and i have a Boston...there is a 2 -3 year waiting list at most breeders.

Why are Bulldog puppies so expensive

In the future you are going to find many breeds of puppy are expensive. Not just British Bulldog puppies. This is the future that puppy buyers now face.

In Europe today, breeds such as British Bulldogs have had bans slapped on them, because fanatics have decreed that the features of these breeds must disappear. Features that have been around a very long time. Fanatics are declaring that all BBs must have a "pump handle tail". Few people today would know what a pump handle tail looks like on a British Bulldog!

Australia does what Europe does, like it or not.

There are not a lot of BB breeders around. So, there are a not a lot of BB puppies around.

Do you know what happens when lovely things become "hard to get"? The price goes UP.

We are looking at a future where syndicates and trust funds will be needed to keep breeds such as the British Bulldog around for future generations to enjoy. They wont be a puppy that you will be able to buy on the open market. They will be a collectors item and will only be able to be purchased by wealthy people who have an interest in breeding.

This is the future for many breeds of dog.

$3000 for a British Bulldog puppy?

It is now an investment, it is no longer just a pet.

Souff

edited cos the brain went out to lunch :)

You never said a truer word ;)

A girl I work with is looking at buying a British Bulldog but has been shocked at the $2800 price tag the breeder was after, is this a normal sort of price or is it a bit high? It was PB with main register papers.

I have no real idea what they usually go for and told her I would ask here.

What did she think she would have to pay?

Initially I think she was thinking around the $1000 mark.

Well, considering that from some breeders a companion Staffordshire Bull Terrier (as "common" as they are) is around the $1000 mark, she'll definitely need to up the ante a bit.

They're not easy to breed, tend to have more whelping problems than other breeds and are definitely not as easy to find as other breeds so you could probably double that $1000 and still have trouble finding a puppy.

Roughly the same as the price of a pup as in most breeds - so which came first, the high stud fees or the high puppy prices :laugh:

What with the cost of an out of hours C section

The average stud fee for a BB is $1000- $1500 i have been told by a very experienced/respected/reputable BB breeder

Many of the breeders have raised their prices as many buyers looked at them as being too cheap.

If people pay the price people can charge it.

You never said a truer word :laugh:

Oakway

I think its time that breeders starting getting a message to that section of the general public who want to buy a puppy in the future.

"Start saving for it NOW!"

We see people clamouring for more and more laws with regard to animal breeding. Lots of young impressionable students see this is as a wonderful thing.

Well, the upshot of all those extra laws is that there will be fewer and fewer people wanting to breed good dogs for those same students when they want to buy a puppy for their children in a few years time.

For most Australians "Europe" is where you save to go for a holiday, or it is where some of your ancestors came from. The concept of Europe's laws and fanatical attitudes being responsible for them having to pay thousands of dollars for a puppy .....is just way too ...... hellllooooo Souff, what the hell are you talking about now?

Dont expect people to understand later. Too late then. "Oh, you cant find a breeder in Queensland anymore?" Oh, really? And you cant find one in Victoria either? How odd. Nobody knows why the breeders of that particular breed cant be found anymore!!!! And they bred such lovely dogs!!!!

At least if people are publicly warned now, "Yes, some breeders will stick around and continue to breed under a barrage of new laws and restrictions, but you can expect to pay a lot more for puppies in the future" they cant say they weren't warned.

But they will probably blame the increased prices on global warming anyway ........ :shrug:

Souff

It matters not about what the cost is to raise and feed a baby Bulldog.

What matters is the quality of the puppies.

30 years ago we paid $800.00 for our puppy.

4 years ago we sold our last puppy for $1800.00.

The day a breeder can justify and convince to me why their puppy is worth $3,000.00 is the day I woud buy one.

You breed for the betterment of the breed, to improve, to strive for excellence.

Not for the money.

You never said a truer word :laugh:

Oakway

I think its time that breeders starting getting a message to that section of the general public who want to buy a puppy in the future.

"Start saving for it NOW!"

We see people clamouring for more and more laws with regard to animal breeding. Lots of young impressionable students see this is as a wonderful thing.

Well, the upshot of all those extra laws is that there will be fewer and fewer people wanting to breed good dogs for those same students when they want to buy a puppy for their children in a few years time.

For most Australians "Europe" is where you save to go for a holiday, or it is where some of your ancestors came from. The concept of Europe's laws and fanatical attitudes being responsible for them having to pay thousands of dollars for a puppy .....is just way too ...... hellllooooo Souff, what the hell are you talking about now?

Dont expect people to understand later. Too late then. "Oh, you cant find a breeder in Queensland anymore?" Oh, really? And you cant find one in Victoria either? How odd. Nobody knows why the breeders of that particular breed cant be found anymore!!!! And they bred such lovely dogs!!!!

At least if people are publicly warned now, "Yes, some breeders will stick around and continue to breed under a barrage of new laws and restrictions, but you can expect to pay a lot more for puppies in the future" they cant say they weren't warned.

But they will probably blame the increased prices on global warming anyway ........ :(

Souff

I agree with you whole heartedly.

I also think "that" day is approaching us faster than most believe.

I suppose with all the health problems associated with BBs if puppy buyers can afford $3K for a pup they can also afford the vet bills...

That's an enormous generalisation, so much so that it's probably rarely the case.

Lately I've noticed a lot of older BB's (sometimes up to 5-6yrs) being sold for 3-4k which I find outrageous.

Sorry, but I can't see what all the fuss is about paying $3000 for a dog.

I know of people that pay much more than that for a top quality dog.

If your wealthy and can afford to purchase a top dog, good on you.

I only pray that it is my breed and it is brought to Australia and I can use it at stud.