British Bulldog Prices?

rastus_froggy

That price is about right but its way too high and yes there is a reason becuase as long as people want one as a status symbol and are prepared to pay ridiculously high prices they will stay high.You couldnt give me one for free.Problems mating naturally,problems whelping,breathing problems,heart problems the list goes on.The on,y thing that will save the bb is outcross blood.

Sorry, but I can't see what all the fuss is about paying $3000 for a dog.

I know of people that pay much more than that for a top quality dog.

If your wealthy and can afford to purchase a top dog, good on you.

I only pray that it is my breed and it is brought to Australia and I can use it at stud.

The fuss isnt the price its what you are getting for the price and I always say a dog is only wirth what you are willing to pay and if you are happy with the price then its all good.I have paid that and more for dogs and I am happy with what I got but I am not a newbie to dogs who got sold some line from a breeder and I would happily pay the price again and I am going to in the near future for a puppy.I would not pay that for a bb the fuss is the dog with so many problems you are getting for that money.Like souff said start saving now not just for the purchase but for the ongoing vet bill that you will have for the 5 years it is alive.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For most Australians "Europe" is where you save to go for a holiday, or it is where some of your ancestors came from. The concept of Europe's laws and fanatical attitudes being responsible for them having to pay thousands of dollars for a puppy .....is just way too ...... hellllooooo Souff, what the hell are you talking about now?

Dont expect people to understand later. Too late then. "Oh, you cant find a breeder in Queensland anymore?" Oh, really? And you cant find one in Victoria either? How odd. Nobody knows why the breeders of that particular breed cant be found anymore!!!! And they bred such lovely dogs!!!!

But they will probably blame the increased prices on global warming anyway ........ :mad

Souff

You got it Souff.

Since they are doing everything possible to drive off dog breeders, fewer and fewer people will breed. As the risks associated with being a breeder continue to increase, the prices will go up to cover all of the liabilities. Then people will not able to afford a dog. Oh that's right, that is the real plan anyway.

Oh well, dogs are carbon excessive and won't fit in with the new post ETS/Copenhagen treaty life style anyway.

i dont know how u guys do it in other breeds, but in apbt good stuff usually free lol peddled stuff usually more than 1000..

Probably because the APBT is illegal in some parts of Australia so they have to get rid of them somehow.

supply and demand.

Hard to breed. Few pups. Most don't live long. Not many around. etc. So supply is low. Therefore breeders can charge more. As for peddling, this would not even be a good breed. Who would bother to peddel this breed?

Like others have said. No problems with $3000 for a quality dog. But british bulldogs are far off. But if you have the cash, why not.

Maybe she hasn't inquired for a long time.

My son paid $1500 over 10 years ago.

But you get what you pay for and we still have him with us today.

My biggest gripe is that way too many are from BYB's, poorly bred and come with huge health probs.

Consequently many an unknowing buyer spends outrageous prices purchasing and within 5 years they are staring at their much loved canine friend in an urn.

Tell your friend to keep saving and research the breed carefully.

Then if she is still interested, buy from a reputable breeder and she should share many years of happiness with her chosen breed.

BB's are a pleasure to live with, they are delightful little clowns and will make you smile every day.

We did all this, got from a very reputable breeder, so many people told us how great she was, we did a lot of research into the breeder.

The first time we rung her about a problem she told us not to be silly and that we were over reacting, the next time, she never bothered to contact us back, she was no help and we lost our boy at the age of 8 due to the problems he had with his heart :mad

That is really sad Teebs! :mad

I guess we can all only judge on what we have experienced ourselves, and our breeders have been great.

And yes I acknowledge that we have not experienced any real negatives to learn otherwise, but I can't imagine it.

It's always heart breaking losing a loved one, no matter at what age. I know having lost some Saints whilst they were very young I felt totally robbed! :(:)

We were originally told a BB has a life span of between 7 and 10, so I guess even in your situation I would have been pretty happy with 8 good years.

I suppose with all the health problems associated with BBs if puppy buyers can afford $3K for a pup they can also afford the vet bills...

That's an enormous generalisation, so much so that it's probably rarely the case.

Lately I've noticed a lot of older BB's (sometimes up to 5-6yrs) being sold for 3-4k which I find outrageous.

I totally agree Clyde, it's wicked to charge that amount for any dog in their mature years.

All the mature Saints I have just rehoused have been giveaways to the right home, and I truly think that is the most important issue.

Any breeder who charges someone to love and feed and care for one of their older dogs, no matter what breed, should be extremely grateful that they are being given the wonderful opportunities they are getting to live their life out in comfort with a loving family.

I suppose with all the health problems associated with BBs if puppy buyers can afford $3K for a pup they can also afford the vet bills...

I understand your drift on this one......but personally I don't think it should have any relevance.

It is a bit like saying sell the sickly puppies to the rich cos they can afford to treat them and the healthier ones go to the poor!

I don't believe any breed should ever become one only for the elite and it would be a sad day in the dog world if they were all categorised!

My son pushed shopping trolleys 2 nights a week starting when he was 14 to save up for his BB.

We told him if he wanted one he had to earn it himself and he did.

It took him 2 years, and he tells everyone that Chester has been the greatest addition to his life.

I believe that every person has the right to purchase a healthy puppy and every puppy has the right to live in a healthy body.

Breeders owe them nothing less!!!

That price is about right but its way too high and yes there is a reason becuase as long as people want one as a status symbol and are prepared to pay ridiculously high prices they will stay high.You couldnt give me one for free.Problems mating naturally,problems whelping,breathing problems,heart problems the list goes on.The on,y thing that will save the bb is outcross blood.
Sorry, but I can't see what all the fuss is about paying $3000 for a dog.

I know of people that pay much more than that for a top quality dog.

If your wealthy and can afford to purchase a top dog, good on you.

I only pray that it is my breed and it is brought to Australia and I can use it at stud.

The fuss isnt the price its what you are getting for the price and I always say a dog is only wirth what you are willing to pay and if you are happy with the price then its all good.I have paid that and more for dogs and I am happy with what I got but I am not a newbie to dogs who got sold some line from a breeder and I would happily pay the price again and I am going to in the near future for a puppy.I would not pay that for a bb the fuss is the dog with so many problems you are getting for that money.Like souff said start saving now not just for the purchase but for the ongoing vet bill that you will have for the 5 years it is alive.

Sorry, but our BB breeder has had a lot of bitches that have free whelped!

Many years ago when he was in the ring, a very well respected judge commented to us after judging our boy, that if there were more BB's around like him, the breed would be in a much better situation.

He further remarked that many are ok when they go around for their class but by the time they get their breed and then have to go out for group and show, they have often wilted somewhat, where as our boy looked like he would run for hours.........and he would!

Even now he will run to our fence and bark at anyone loitering, and we are on acreage so it is a fair hike for him.

But he has always done it, we didn't wrap him up in cotton wool and make him spend hours confined to keep him in 'ring condition'!

I know what most are saying and I have seen examples like they are talking about, but I can't agree in reference to what we have experienced ourselves.

When we told our Vet we were getting a BB even he tried to warn us off. He even showed us the thickness of a file from another client with a BB and he said to me you certainly know how to keep me in cream cakes don't you!

Well all I can say is that we wouldn't have even kept him in wafers!

Vaccinations and buying Drontal and Frontline have been our only issues other than a wasp/bee sting on his face....we never did find out what it was.

Chester's file would be one of the smallest in the surgery I reckon.

Edited by Lesley

This is a main register pup. One which can be shown and bred with and in my opinion if they are $3000 thats too cheap.

Its got me why everyone who wants us to do a great job of breeding healthy happy animals in limited numbers with all of the testing and work and sacrifice that goes with it also want us to remain poverty stricken as some test as to whether we are good breeders.

Buyers want us to refund money if something goes wrong in years to come which may have a genetic component even though we knock ourselves out trying to avoid them and they may be impacted by what happens after the pup goes home.

We are expected to feed the best food, supply the best accommodations, provide the best vetting and testing ,be there for ever, for support and advice, get educated, be members of groups and breed clubs, attend shows, take anything that has the slightest problem which may cause an issue for future litters out of our breeding programs and start again. Not breed them till someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, dont bred them more often that someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, dont breed them past an age that someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, get beaten up by media and animal rights and keep our prices down even though we can get higher prices, keep our houses well maintained and squeaky clean so we can be inspected by people who want to look at our lounge rooms to see where the pups were living,put all of our own personal issues on hold if a puppy buyer needs to talk to us for years to come - sheesh!

I think every purebred breeder who is doing it right should immediately raise their prices and if they need help to sell their pups at that price - join the MDBA and we will help them. I dont want anyone ever to breed a litter of pups to make money but Ill be damned if I can see sense in anyone going out of their way to loose money either and its time we wore our prefixes with pride and didnt feel guilty or answerable if we can get higher prices for our pups.

When supply is getting more limited every day with more and more breeders leaving to either breed non papered or leave breeding and more will leave in droves - especially in the BB breed - if we are still able to breed them , demand and costs are getting higher

and we are expected to be more accountable for years to come if they can get the money then they should go for it while they can.

Next litter they may looose the house.

This is a main register pup. One which can be shown and bred with and in my opinion if they are $3000 thats too cheap.

Its got me why everyone who wants us to do a great job of breeding healthy happy animals in limited numbers with all of the testing and work and sacrifice that goes with it also want us to remain poverty stricken as some test as to whether we are good breeders.

Buyers want us to refund money if something goes wrong in years to come which may have a genetic component even though we knock ourselves out trying to avoid them and they may be impacted by what happens after the pup goes home.

We are expected to feed the best food, supply the best accommodations, provide the best vetting and testing ,be there for ever, for support and advice, get educated, be members of groups and breed clubs, attend shows, take anything that has the slightest problem which may cause an issue for future litters out of our breeding programs and start again. Not breed them till someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, dont bred them more often that someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, dont breed them past an age that someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, get beaten up by media and animal rights and keep our prices down even though we can get higher prices, keep our houses well maintained and squeaky clean so we can be inspected by people who want to look at our lounge rooms to see where the pups were living,put all of our own personal issues on hold if a puppy buyer needs to talk to us for years to come - sheesh!I think every purebred breeder who is doing it right should immediately raise their prices and if they need help to sell their pups at that price - join the MDBA and we will help them. I dont want anyone ever to breed a litter of pups to make money but Ill be damned if I can see sense in anyone going out of their way to loose money either and its time we wore our prefixes with pride and didnt feel guilty or answerable if we can get higher prices for our pups.

When supply is getting more limited every day with more and more breeders leaving to either breed non papered or leave breeding and more will leave in droves - especially in the BB breed - if we are still able to breed them , demand and costs are getting higher

and we are expected to be more accountable for years to come if they can get the money then they should go for it while they can.

I have highlighted the above part of your post I wish to make reference to!

Touche' Steve~!

Very well written post. :bottom:

IMHO, I might further add that as well as the govt. do gooders stating when and when we may not wipe our bums so to say, one of the biggest nightmares in any breed are the uneducated BYB's

Call them what you like, (I call them nuff nuff's cos they are double nothings IMO :D ) they are the ones to blame for a huge percentage of pricing probs.

I have always said that there are breeders and there are creators and never muddle one with the other.

Any moron can create a litter and too many are doing just that. Their only knowledge of what they have is that their anatomy connects! Woo Hoo!

A breeder learns first!

They study pedigrees, read breed related books, attend breed seminars and speak to people that have been in the breed for many many years in order to educate themselves BEFORE making the conscious decision to place a litter on the ground.

They don't just buy a dog and a bitch and put them together.

Just maybe this is why so many well respected breeders are now charging amounts that they can........to place themselves aside from the nuff nuff creators!

And the respected breeders get their asking, because they have well earnt their reputation.

If I wanted another BB, the only breeder I would go to is where we got our boy from.

And I think it would be the same with most breeds, the respected breeders usually don't need to advertise puppy sales.

Getting away from BB's but in my chosen breed I recently saw an advert for puppies containing the biggest amount of hoo haa one would ever see and from a breeder I do not have any regard for.

The line in the ad that got me the most was:- pick of the litter $3000, all others $2000.

Firstly I ask who's pick?

Every puppy buyer that selects a puppy COULD be told the one they chose was the pick!

Secondly, what places one puppy's value 1/3 greater than every other puppy in the litter?

Surely if this were so, their creator would be keeping that puppy for herself!

Doesn't add up.

But she keeps spitting out these puppies and sells to the unknowing buyers.

And sadly she is not alone.

I too often see registered 'creators' asking basic simple questions about the breed they are creating themselves :bottom::bottom:

All too sad that they are opting to put something on the ground and don't even understand or have knowledge of genetic probs behind them.

One recently didn't even know what osteosarcoma was, despite it being one of the most prevalent forms of cancer within our breed.

There are just too many with NO BASIC BREED KNOWLEDGE that are opting to create.

As I have said before, I know it is very difficult and everyone has to start somewhere, but I think before coming a breeder, one should have to commit to say 5 years breed service, a bit like an apprenticeship!

And in that time they need to do things such as welfare, working on a kennel club, 12 months on the hereditary disease committee, etc.etc. which would give them an eye opener to responsible breeding and who is and who definitely isn't!

That would be a starting point.

It would also make one take note of health probs and start to learn the lines, give them more contact with other breed enthusiasts who all have their own tale to tell in some form or another.

At least then it would also give them a greater insight and if they are further inclined to learn they will then be inquiring enough to make themselves then research lines that interest themselves more thoroughly.

I just can't understand why people choose to reproduce something they know nothing or very little about, other than that they love the one that greets them each day, unbeknown if it is a good breed specimen or not!!!

I was always told as a child, if you are going to do something, do it properly or not at all!

It's very easy to differentiate between those dedicated to the betterment of the breed and those bastardising the breed for their own financial gain.

You get what you pay for........and people wonder why puppy prices are on the increase!!! :laugh:

Edited by Lesley

We are expected to feed the best food, supply the best accommodations, provide the best vetting and testing ,be there for ever, for support and advice, get educated, be members of groups and breed clubs, attend shows, take anything that has the slightest problem which may cause an issue for future litters out of our breeding programs and start again. Not breed them till someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, dont bred them more often that someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, dont breed them past an age that someone who knows diddly about breeding dogs says we can, get beaten up by media and animal rights and keep our prices down even though we can get higher prices, keep our houses well maintained and squeaky clean so we can be inspected by people who want to look at our lounge rooms to see where the pups were living,put all of our own personal issues on hold if a puppy buyer needs to talk to us for years to come - sheesh!

I think every purebred breeder who is doing it right should immediately raise their prices and if they need help to sell their pups at that price - join the MDBA and we will help them. I dont want anyone ever to breed a litter of pups to make money but Ill be damned if I can see sense in anyone going out of their way to loose money either and its time we wore our prefixes with pride and didnt feel guilty or answerable if we can get higher prices for our pups.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your first point - the price of a puppy doesn't even begin to reflect the amount of time, research, money, effort and a lot of times, sheer blood, sweat & tears that a breeder has invested in that puppy - what do you believe driving that price upwards will achieve?

I see the pedigreed purebred struggling now - we are trying to contend with the DD breeders, the "purebred but no papers" backyarders, the "registered but dodgy" breeders and the "pedigree dogs are inbred & unhealthy" brigade - by making puppies more and more expensive, are we simply placing them further out of reach?

There is no Bulldog puppy in Australia worth $3,000.00.

Even with the time, effort and money that a breeder puts into the breed.

Breeding for the betterment of the breed does not mean that they can charge x amount of money because they spend x amount of money on the litter.

More fool the person who pays that amount of money for a Bulldog.

But I am only a novice in the breed.

What do I know.

eta

and more fool the person who puts up their hand to say that they would pay $3,000.oo for a puppy. Or that say that they are worth that price

because they are not.

The Bulldog gene pool is huge. But that is not to say that the breeding stock is quality.

Edited by stonebridge

Breeding for the betterment of the breed does not mean that they can charge x amount of money because they spend x amount of money on the litter.

What do I know.

eta

and more fool the person who puts up their hand to say that they would pay $3,000.oo for a puppy. Or that say that they are worth that price

because they are not.

The Bulldog gene pool is huge. But that is not to say that the breeding stock is quality.

They arent worth $3000 to your average person, to bulldog fanciers maybe.

However maybe the high prices is not so bad of an idea. What we dont need is more bulldog breeders, and with $3000 a pup, this may deter BYBs,

What do I know.

eta

Well to us......Ours IS!

He has given us way more than $3000 worth of love and pleasure, in fact there is no price I could ever place on his worth in our lives.

We just feel sad that there is not enough time left for us to continue to shower him with the love he in return deserves from us, for we could never repay him for the joy he has given to us all.

Our boy cost exactly half that amount over 10 years ago and we thought it was huge at that time.

But now we don't, given that all the BB's he competed against have been long gone, we fully acknowledge that we paid for quality and we got it; not only in term of life (which no one can guaranteee,) but in health, which contributes to the term!

And if I was after another BB, as I stated before, I would only buy from our breeder and if that was their asking price, I would pay it with no hesitation, because I know I would again be buying quality and with no breed associated health probs, from Highly Respected Breeders and NOT Nuff Nuff's and that is what I would be happy to pay for!!!!

I guess it is like paying for peace of mind, or paying for a guarantee, because if their was a problem they would stand by you.

I think the biggest problem facing every breed is that too many people decide to 'create' when they are in fact too ignorant to do such!

Consequently they are breeding from crap that any knowledgeable breeder would deem pet quality, desex and rehome!

Whilst many are out to do so just for the money alone, I do honestly believe that some start off with the best intentions, but they truly wouldn't know a good quality dog or bitch opposed to a bad one.

They rely on what they have been told and if they have bought from a shonky creator themselves, of course they have been told what they have is super fantastic.

I know of a 'creator that tells every person she sells a bitch puppy to that they should breed from it, and she also tells them when they are ready, to come back and see her and she will help them.

And she does!

She advises them to use one of her dogs as the stud dog ( a stud fee for her) then she helps whelp the litter (at the cost of one puppy for her) then when the first puppy is squashed because they don't understand how pedantic one must be and they have gone off to work and left them all lying with mum, she offers to care for the litter for them (at the cost of another puppy for her) and then when they are costing a fortune to feed she hands them back.

By this time the 'new creator' is a bit shell shocked and wants to offload this bundle that are pooing end peeing everywhere, laying in it and stinking their house out, so the original creator then offers to pass on puppy names she has already got...yeah you guessed it at another percentage fee for her!

Some of these people have their hand in everything and the quality being produced is just shit!

I recently had a novice breeder tell me that she was going to breed and how this person was going to help her. I said do you really think your bitch is worthy of having a litter and she informed me that yes her creator said she was of very good quality.

I said well why don't you show her and let the judges decide, and she said to me , quote, Oh NO, "Joe Blog" has told me not to, because she said that they are all crooked and only people who sleep with judges win!

So I can well see why many are raising their prices and also often refuse to sell to the nuff nuff's!

The ones I feel sorry for are the unknowing buyers that haven't done their homework, don't know one breeder from another and pay huge prices for crap that will keep their vets in cream cakes and be in an urn 5 years down the track!

Moreso I feel for the poor little life itself, destined to die all too young and suffer at the expense of a greedy moron who didn't know they should have done some study to obtain basic breed knowledge prior to making a few dollars! :D :):)

Edited to add that I would also be more than happy to pay the same amount for another Saint bitch if I got the quality I currently have now.

Edited by Lesley

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your first point - the price of a puppy doesn't even begin to reflect the amount of time, research, money, effort and a lot of times, sheer blood, sweat & tears that a breeder has invested in that puppy - what do you believe driving that price upwards will achieve?

I see the pedigreed purebred struggling now - we are trying to contend with the DD breeders, the "purebred but no papers" backyarders, the "registered but dodgy" breeders and the "pedigree dogs are inbred & unhealthy" brigade - by making puppies more and more expensive, are we simply placing them further out of reach?

How can we be placing them further out of reach when pet shop cross bred mongrels are getting more?

Couple of years ago My beagles were selling for $850 and a pet shop in Penrith was selling them for $1500 and sold them all in 2 days! We're not breeding enough of them to fill the demand so BYB and DD breeders are filling the void and if someone wants all of the great stuff a good purebred breeder provides its worth saving for.If we get to a point where there are more then the price will come down because the demand is lower - though thats pretty unlikely.

The pedigreed purebred is struggling because less people are breeding them not because we cant find homes for them.

What do I think it will achieve?

People being able to breed great dogs without having to be independently wealthy and not having to be poverty stricken.

I agree that the price of a pup bred by a good breeder cant reflect its value but why anyone expects a breeder to keep prices low and go broke as some kind of community service - make a pup more affordable for someone who wants a pet and have their families go without to do it - even though they can get more is beyond me.

If you want to have reputable ethical registered purebred breeders breeding great dogs into the future they are accountable for then telling them that they have to take a vow to be poor and lose money deliberately to help poor people to own them perhaps the best place to recruit new breeders is at a monestary - but even they wont loose money - they would fundraise to cover their expenses.

What do I know.

eta

because they are not.

If someone pays $3000 for a bulldog puppy in this country then there is a bulldog pup in this country thats worth $3000.

No one is saying anyone should breed dogs to make money but what sort of idiot would deliberately try to loose money in order to make other people think they are more likely breeding for the betterment of the breed ?

if they spend x amount of money and they can get more of that x amount of money back why in heavens name do you want them to do it and loose money if they dont have to.

Even charities dont operate to loose money!

If someone pays $3000 for a bulldog puppy in this country then there is a bulldog pup in this country thats worth $3000.

:D

It has long been my argument that nobody has the RIGHT to tell another person what they should sell their puppies for. I see various breed clubs telling prospective purchasers that XX should cost only XX from a registered breeder and if charged any more they are being misled. What gives them the right to do this?

Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it. And if somebody is able to get more $$$ for something than another somebody, then obviously their marketing skills are better, or they have a more desirable product, or they just got lucky that day.

I'm a big believer in what you get is what you pay for, but even I couldn't put a fair price on what I think my puppies (in either breed) are worth when I look at the time and energy and LOVE that goes into rearing them.

And I have to confess that it BURNS me when I see lesser quality examples that haven't had half as much care put into them being sold for double or even treble what I manage to get. I'm not in it for the money at all, but why should a BYBer who has probably less than half of my knowledge of the breed or even animal husbandry manage to profit and on a continual basis when I'm scratching to find SUITABLE homes for my puppies maybe once per year (if that) and not just selling to the first person who comes along with cash in their hands?

:confused:

It has long been my argument that nobody has the RIGHT to tell another person what they should sell their puppies for. I see various breed clubs telling prospective purchasers that XX should cost only XX from a registered breeder and if charged any more they are being misled. What gives them the right to do this?

Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it. And if somebody is able to get more $$$ for something than another somebody, then obviously their marketing skills are better, or they have a more desirable product, or they just got lucky that day.

I'm a big believer in what you get is what you pay for, but even I couldn't put a fair price on what I think my puppies (in either breed) are worth when I look at the time and energy and LOVE that goes into rearing them.

And I have to confess that it BURNS me when I see lesser quality examples that haven't had half as much care put into them being sold for double or even treble what I manage to get. I'm not in it for the money at all, but why should a BYBer who has probably less than half of my knowledge of the breed or even animal husbandry manage to profit and on a continual basis when I'm scratching to find SUITABLE homes for my puppies maybe once per year (if that) and not just selling to the first person who comes along with cash in their hands?

TOUCHE' ELLE

VERY WELL SAID POST !

You have summed it all up perfectly!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The reality is that if someone is prepared to pay that much, there will always be someone prepared to charge it.

ETA: If you think about it if someone is prepared to pay $3000 for a pup (whatever breed) then there is less chance of that pup being abused or abandoned than if they only pay $100 or so. Maybe there is something to be said for higher prices for pups. Must admit there is a fair bit of generalisation here.

Edited by yarracully

What do I know.

eta

because they are not.

No one is saying anyone should breed dogs to make money but what sort of idiot would deliberately try to loose money in order to make other people think they are more likely breeding for the betterment of the breed ?

if they spend x amount of money and they can get more of that x amount of money back why in heavens name do you want them to do it and loose money if they dont have to.

Even charities dont operate to loose money!

How long have you been breeding Bulldogs for?

How long have you owned the breed?

No one deliberately tries to lose money, but it is not about making money in the first place. Unless that is what you and others do.

Its about improving the breed. A breeder may get one puppy, they may get ten. Of course if that one puppy has good potential then they are going to have a loss because they are going to keep it. What do they do about it?(well the dedicated breeders anyway) They carry on and put it down to better luck next time if there is a next time.

Very rarely do Bulldog breeders break even.

There is no Bulldog puppy in this country worth $3,000.00

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

To be honest I dont give a rats arse if people pay that price. Its their money.

But that price is exactly why BYB do what they do.

They have pushed up the price. Quite simple really.

Of course it is not going to deter the BYB.

When they have litter after litter, and very rarely keep anything except to carry on with so a year down the track that bitch can breed.

I have seen alot of beautiful Bulldogs over the last 30 years. I have also met alot of people that breed for the money. They have no idea what they are doing with pedigrees, or breeding type to type.

They have a dog, they have a bitch.

They know they can sell the puppies for x amount of dollars.

Hence my first post on this subject.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I say but please dont turn around and tell me that we should be breeding for the money.

Or in otherwords..I personally dont give a damn whether or not a litter of puppies I breed makes money.

I look upon my hobby of owning dogs as just that. It is not a business to me.

What everyone else does is up to them

If I can improve the breed to make their world happier, and if I can breed an excellent example of the breed then that is what I thrive for.

Edited by stonebridge