British Bulldog Prices?

rastus_froggy

We recently purchased a BB - pick her up in 5 n bit weeks, and we were happy with what we paid for her. I know that a lot of people disagree with how much we paid but unless the money is coming out of their bank accounts, which it's not then I don't think that they need to comment on how much a puppy costs.

Each to their own.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We recently purchased a BB - pick her up in 5 n bit weeks, and we were happy with what we paid for her. I know that a lot of people disagree with how much we paid but unless the money is coming out of their bank accounts, which it's not then I don't think that they need to comment on how much a puppy costs.

Each to their own.

post-864-1257899428.gif

• 7 months later...

Some interesting comments here, and I guess at the end of the day demand for British Bulldog Pups set the price. I'm sure most breeders when setting a price take their own expenses into account and then have a look at what other Breeders are selling their pups for. Thats how the economy works...

I'm currently on a waiting list for a British Bulldog pup and am happy to pay $3000. I have done my research and believe I have chosen the best breeder to deliver me a happy, healthy dog and I understand that $3000 is pretty much the going rate.

My last dog was a pedigree boxer, she lived to be 14. At the time (1996) $1000 for a boxer seemed super expensive, especially since as a teenager $1000 was about 2 months wages! However i got the breeder right and over 14 years the purchase price worked out at about $70 per year or $5.00 per month for the duration of her lifetime. I'm sure I spent more in that period on Dominos Pizza!

The fact that Bulldog Pups are so expensive may also have some positives,

*Those who can afford $3000 purchase price can generally afford the cost of particular nutritional and medical expenses

*A $3000 price tag means a Pup is a planned addition to a family, not an impulse purchase where the novelty wears off after christmas and the dog is neglected

*An expensive price tag is also a deterrant to some Backyard Breeders as start up costs for a pair of bulldogs would be out of reach of many people.

*If people need time to save for a pup they are more likely to be better researched, better informed and later better owners, which can't possibly be a bad thing for the future of this wonderful breed.

Anyway, that was my first post on here, Flame away... :laugh:

*Those who can afford $3000 purchase price can generally afford the cost of particular nutritional and medical expenses

*A $3000 price tag means a Pup is a planned addition to a family, not an impulse purchase where the novelty wears off after christmas and the dog is neglected

*An expensive price tag is also a deterrant to some Backyard Breeders as start up costs for a pair of bulldogs would be out of reach of many people.

*If people need time to save for a pup they are more likely to be better researched, better informed and later better owners, which can't possibly be a bad thing for the future of this wonderful breed.

I beg to differ on that. Dogue de Bordeauxs are going through a popularity spurt and you should see how much people are charging.

My own Dogue was comparable to bulldgo price. When I got him he stank, was covered in acne, flat feet (all from a bad diet) and his owners couldnt wait to dump him at the airport. He was given away at just over 7 months of age. Quite a few of these expensive dogs go for free or get dumped at the pound because the novelty has worn off. I have also seen other dogs well over the bulldog price tag treated like garbage too. As for the BYB element, a couple of cheap or free to good home bulldogs would set you up for quite a while

Expensive price tags and exclusivity also attract many of the wrong type of dog owner.

If breeders can get people to pay those prices, then good for them. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of buyers who will happily fork over big bucks for a dog, but like someone else said, high price tags on pups lends itself to being very, very attractive to BYB's. And they tend to "breed" more of the same....more BYB's, more poorly bred dogs but still with big price tags and there are still people flocking to pay it. Even crosses go for heaps of money, much more than the average pedigree pup would sell for.

I think $3000 is a high price to pay for a dog that might end up costing a lot in vet bills and that is not a particularly healthy breed.

I would hope that the $3000 per pup helps to cover the costs of health testing the parents, and making sure that the pups are from the best possible stock. As long as the breeder provided proof of this, I would be satisfied with paying that price.

I'd happily pay that for a WELL BRED BB pup from an ethical source, if that is what I wanted.

As for the vet bills and the risk of ill health, well, you risk that with any living creature, breeders can only do so much mother nature often throws in a shit happens just for kicks, and well my rescue FF who cost me nothing to purchase, is the most expensive animal to maintain in good health that I have ever owned..

Our next addition will be a bulldog, not for a few years yet though. I have no complaints about the high price.

We will be researching breeders thoroughly so we can get as sound a bulldog as possible.

At the end of the day, no price is too much to get the dog you want. I would have paid that amount for my two mutts if they were going to cost that (they didn't, one was $50 and the other $200 lol).

A girl I work with is looking at buying a British Bulldog but has been shocked at the $2800 price tag the breeder was after, is this a normal sort of price or is it a bit high? It was PB with main register papers.

I have no real idea what they usually go for and told her I would ask here.

Unfortunately that is the going price :rofl::rofl::( but can vary anywhere between $1500 - $4500.

Dependant on age you could get a mature dog for btwn $1500 - $2500 where as

puppies generally go for $3500 - $4500 & dependant on the breeder that might not

include papers. Tell your friend to save save save & research as much as possible.

Patiences is definately the key, something I know nothing about :shhh::mad:)

I have been doing research on bulldogs for awhile now because I was considering one but settled on a Frenchie instead :laugh:

Puppies go anywhere between $3000-5000. A breeder told me the price was high because it's not a common breed and they don't have many puppies, plus most if not all births have to be done via caesarian as well. This particular breeder also told me that the most she's had in a litter was four, and she decided to keep 2 females for breeding because she doesn't like breeding the mature dogs as many times as other breeds.

Also, I believe bulldogs are an expensive breed to care for and maintain, which may put off backyard breeders who breed for a quick buck and the general popularity of the dog as a breeding dog.

3 grand is a good price to pay for a breed of dog that is difficult to breed, keep, train and whelp.

Bulldog mothers often need 24 hour care with their pups.

The pups need to be watched constantly, played with, taught the bases of basic training, taught the basics of bite inhibition, taken to the vet, fed, given toys...

The hours that my breeder puts in just to ensure all the pups live and grow up healthy both in mind and body is priceless to me, not to mention the thousands of hours they've devoted to all their bulldogs to ensure the best temperment and health ratings in future litters.

I'm happily paying $3000

The Bulldogs I have met all have respiratory problems, ALL of them. They often have entropion and extra eyelashes, which can cause eye ulcers. They also seem to be prone to allergies. They can't handle the heat or lots of exercise. And they have a fairly short lifespan. And the so-called 'healthier' Aussies are exactly the same (if not worse).

The Bulldogs I have met all have respiratory problems, ALL of them. They often have entropion and extra eyelashes, which can cause eye ulcers. They also seem to be prone to allergies. They can't handle the heat or lots of exercise. And they have a fairly short lifespan. And the so-called 'healthier' Aussies are exactly the same (if not worse).

We get that you are not a fan, but others are, and even if you haven't met them there are healthy sound BBs out there.

I live in QLD, and I've met them, and they don't fall in a heap despite our summers. I was football tackled last week by an 11yo BB who has lived all her life here in sunny Qld she aims to remove my shoes every time we meet.

I know that her owner will happily pay whatever price to get another that will give them the same joy that they have had from her. That is their choice.

Saying that a breed of dog is very prone to health problems then listing them doesn't mean that person isn't a fan of them. It just means she's observed a lot of health problems in the breed.

I've not seen in any of Kirty's posts where she says she doesn't like the breed.

A girl I work with is looking at buying a British Bulldog but has been shocked at the $2800 price tag the breeder was after, is this a normal sort of price or is it a bit high? It was PB with main register papers.

Unfortunately that is the going price :mad :D :o but can vary anywhere between $1500 - $4500.

puppies generally go for $3500 - $4500 & dependant on the breeder that might not

include papers. Tell your friend to save save save & research as much as possible.

Patiences is definately the key, something I know nothing about :thumbsup::o:cry:

She wouldn't wait and went for the cheaper, quicker option of an Aussie Bulldog :(

Unfortunately that is the going price :mad :D :o but can vary anywhere between $1500 - $4500.

Patiences is definately the key, something I know nothing about :thumbsup::o:cry:

She wouldn't wait and went for the cheaper, quicker option of an Aussie Bulldog :(

To be honest, we have discussed getting an Aussie instead of a British.

A british is what we want but we had heard the Aussies can have less issues. I haven't researched it yet as my partner wants a purebred British (he is English and said "why would I want anAussie when I can get a british). But we did discuss maybe getting an Aussie with say 86% british in the hope we would et the proper british look without quite so many health issues.

No need for any lectures though as we will not be going through with that option LOL

A british is what we want but we had heard the Aussies can have less issues. I haven't researched it yet as my partner wants a purebred British (he is English and said "why would I want anAussie when I can get a british). But we did discuss maybe getting an Aussie with say 86% british in the hope we would et the proper british look without quite so many health issues.

No need for any lectures though as we will not be going through with that option LOL

Wow, how do you get such preciseness with the percentage of breed in a cross bred dog? :(

I have never yet seen an 'aussie' bulldog that looks anything even remotely like a British either. They look more like a boxer if you ask me.

Unfortunately that is the going price :o:o:o but can vary anywhere between $1500 - $4500.

Patiences is definately the key, something I know nothing about ;) :laugh: ;)

Hate to admit it but I have seen Aussies :eek::eek::eek: u would've sworn were Purebred british.

Unfortunately lana anyone who determines percentage in an ad (especially if they ain't purebred) & this is only my opinion is full of crap, how the hell can anyone determine that sort of percentage :mad:mad:mad. You also have to remember that first an foremost an Aussie is a crossbred mutt the potential puppy you buy could have 2 or 3 different breeds in it with all these breeds each carrying there own health issues.

:laugh::( ;) to for deciding against that option & I 100% agree with ur partner why buy a replica when you can have the real thing.

Edited by moko81