Training Gun Dogs With Homing Pigeons

I understand the concept (reward for pointing) , but but but, for one, cannot help wondering if he is encouraging returning to the handler (instead of hunting).

LL .... I thought the same as you as I was watching the video footage. The dog might as well give up chasing the birds ..... where is the drive satisfaction?

Well, it depends on how far you take it and whether you are doing it in isolation, doesn't it? I'm having a similar training conundrum with Erik at the moment, who tugs like a fiend and won't give up his flirt pole toy once he's caught it. I've been trying to balance training him to release a toy on command and rewarding that without diminishing his desire to tug like a fiend. He likes tugging more than food sometimes and sometimes less. I feel it would be useful to be able to reward with a tug at times, but only if I can get the damn toy back again! If I don't balance it right, he wants to bypass tugging and just grab it and instantly release for the reward. I wasn't sure how I was going to solve this, but I'm currently rewarding his release with more tugging, and it seems to be doing the trick, although it's early stages. I don't see why rewarding with something so high in value should also diminish the desire to hunt. Although by all means say so if you disagree! I don't know much about hunting dogs. I just know that rewarding Erik with a tug doesn't mean he wouldn't chase the tug toy if I threw it.

Well, it depends on how far you take it and whether you are doing it in isolation, doesn't it?

I agree. We talk about balance for example in retriever training and trialling, control v freedom on SELECTED marks/seen retrieves. This takes experience and dog sense to chain required behaviours.

Did the trainer on the youtube example, have difficulties with attitude, focus, obedience, whoa/stop, flushing (if required), retrieving, ranging or required dog close to hunter or horseback long ranging. No idea!!!

The closing of a gun and reloading can sound like a clicker.

Edited by Lablover