Puppy Is Sick After All!

keels

Turns out poor Middie is a sick boy after all! :clap:

He tricked me by pepping up after his return from the vets, and was good the next morning, did a couple of poos (sorry for being so blunt!) which was very relieving for both of us I'm sure!

But I took him down to the vets again this morning cos he hasn't poo'd since yesterday morning, even though i've put sardines and oil and a bit of metamucil mixed up through his food for brekky yesterday, and he stopped eating, playing and doing anything other than lay around looking at me with those sad eyes!! :shrug:

Started going downhill again last night and although he hasn't been vomiting or anything like that he just looked terrible and then he started shaking so I had to take him down.

So poor little fella has had an enema, and although that passed some stuff ( :thumbsup: ) vet said he was still shaky and not very happy, so they x-rayed him.

And his stomach is so full of undigested stuff they can't see anything. This has apparently confirmed what vet was thinking, that his digestive system has shut down, hence no poos so they're putting him on an IV drip and lubricated him up with some sort of gel stuff to see if he'll push some of it out naturally so they can take more x-rays with it cleared to see whether he's swallowed something (very unlike him as the only thing we've found that he's chewed that he shouldn't is a hair clip of mine and that's still whole, only a few teeth marks in it, no chewing on table legs or thongs or shoes or anything from him until now!) and that's whats causing blockage or whether there's something wrong with his intestines!!!! :clap:

Poor Middie!!!! :clap: He's going to be so lonely tonight!!!! And poor guy has been poked and prodded and put through more than any dog should have to!!!

Vet is ringing us in morning to let us know how he is and what is going on.

I feel awful! Poor puppy! Hopefully it turns out to be something simple!!!!

What a crap week! My dad fell off the roof on the weekend and can hardly walk, Daniel's mum is in hospital for operation, Middie's sick and i woke up this morning with period pain so bad i was dry retching! Went to the doctor to ask her to prescribe me something and idiot doctor told me to take naprogesic, sleep longer hours, exercise more and eat better!!!!! Told her naprogesic doesn't work, and she told me I have to take it before period pain starts!!!!!! Too late for this period, you'll have to wait for next period!!!! :clap: Stupid doctors!!!

Can't wait till this weeks over!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting on vet to ring now and let me know whats going on.

Perhaps i should ring them??

I've been up since dan got up at 530 this morning couldn't sleep, cos usually he gets up lets middie out for wees etc has a bit of a play, then when he leaves he brings him up and puts him on the bed with me till i get up at 630 - 7 (depending on how tired i am)

But this morning, no middie!!!! :confused:

Just rung, and apaprently he's still not good, did a little tiny poo, but still looking ill and shaky, so they're going to take the x-rays at lunch time.

I asked if i could go visit him, but she said they'll be in surgery from about half an hour from now till 3. so they'll ring me when they do x-rays.

I wish i could wave a magic wand and fix him!!

This is an awful feeling!! :confused: I'm never having children!!

:scared: I can sympathise..when my Hamlet had a blockage..I was beside myself :crazy:

They used little tiny balls coated with barium on him, as what he swallowed didn't show on xray(!there are things which don't show clearly on xray..some plastics,corks,pantyhose, etc.)

These little balls were swallowed, and after a few hours, his gut was xrayed.Where the little balls were all bunched up is where the obstruction was..then they operated and just went to THAT spot to remove the STICKS & LEAVES that had clogged the works :confused:

I hope your boy bounces back soon :confused:

PS try magnesium tablets, or the "big guns"..Mersyndol!!

Well the vet just rung.....

He's still not well, but they can't see anything on the x-ray.

He's emtpied a bit more of his bowel (doesn't that sound a bit more proper!) so she can feel it better, but can't feel anything in there.

and he hasn't been vomiting so she doesn't think it's his stomach or upper intestines.

So she's going to give him the barium balls that they used with your dog persephone, to see if there's something in there they can't see.

And operating is the last resort. So he'll probably be in there again tonight!!!!

:confused::confused::scared: