Worried About My Dog In The Heat!

I wouldn't leave any animal out in this, its horrendous & the temperatures are only accurate right near the city. I am an hours drive from the city centre & it was 42 degrees in my garden yesterday & is 40 now.

Also if he gets bitten by a snake, & they are rife & nasty at present, average time before death for a dog is 20 minutes.

Leave him inside, bathroom, passageway, kitchen etc.

Better to be cramped & make a bit of a mess & be safe & cooler.

Adelaide summers are awful & getting worse.

totally agree , even the air was stifling

mine have clam shell full of water under pergola with blinds down to keep shaded and cooler

water bowl outside

air con in the house , but afterawhile that struggles with the outside heat

12 1/2 yr old and 13 yr old dogs

but feeling it more as get older

cocker spaniel will be clipped right back in 2 weeks

BC x would prefer to be outside but will bring him in when at its hottest part of day

they stretch out in laundry ,kitchen or spare room or right under the fan or aircon

3 buckets of cold water around the house for them

they have some holes around the yard , so might try the water in there also

this heat and temps are comeing in so bad and so quick

hate to think what this summer is going to bring :D

I'm very concerned about Grumpy for this summer. He actually coped very well in the hideous heat of last summer. I can't leave he and Mini in the house together as they'd not behave at all and the house gets the afternoon sun. I've cut his hair right down, which I didn't do last summer and should have.

I wouldn't leave any animal out in this, its horrendous

Sorry guys, you must never have had to deal with a double brick no air-con house in a heatwave :love: I got home yesterday about 6pm - which is only 2 hours after the temperature peaks - and the house was hotter than outside, I just simply don't agree that leaving a dog in a small hallway in that environment would be better for them. Each to their own I guess - hope you're all managing to stay cool - I play in the clamshell to keep myself cool :rainbowbridge:

I'm very concerned about Grumpy for this summer. He actually coped very well in the hideous heat of last summer. I can't leave he and Mini in the house together as they'd not behave at all and the house gets the afternoon sun. I've cut his hair right down, which I didn't do last summer and should have.

I cut Petes hair right down as well two nights ago and I feel better since having done that - he's such a skinny bean though :rainbowbridge:

Edit: My brain is mush

Edited by Pete.the.dog

I wouldn't leave any animal out in this, its horrendous

Sorry guys, you must never have had to deal with a double brick no air-con house in a heatwave :love: I got home yesterday about 6pm - which is only 2 hours after the temperature peaks - and the house was hotter than outside, I just simply don't agree that leaving a dog in a small hallway in that environment would be better for them. Each to their own I guess - hope you're all managing to stay cool - I play in the clamshell to keep myself cool :rainbowbridge:

Oh yes a weatherboard house , no aircon

hot as anything and only way to keep cool was jumping in bathtub full of water or under the hose , which was allowed those days

even the pet dog came in the tub with us

sleeping with wet towels on us and nights sleeping under the stars when cooler

I am in a similar situation and use both polar collars which are great and polar mats. The dogs won't lie on the mats (ratz) but I strategically place them where they cool areas down. I put one on the roof of the (already insulated) kennel and it is the coolest spot around. I have one I hang above where the other dog beds are and it helps tremendously.

Frozen iceblocks (I put stock in some) are big favourites! and a big frozen bottle of water in the water buckets helps as well. Shade cloth everywhere!!

I have a cool mat but none of them will lay on it due to the feel of it I suspect.

I had one like that - try putting a single layer of sheet over it, worked here but no guarantees :rofl:

Pele refused to lie on hers too, ungrateful little sh.t after I spent nearly $50 ;) Putting something over the top of it didn't work either. Last summer my partner and I fought over it as to who would have it to put on our chair :laugh: It's so lovely and cool. Silly doggy :)

Hope the sand in clam shell works :o

I think we are in for a long, hot and horrible summer :D I left the fan on for the dogs yesterday while I was at work, then spent most of the day worrying about it overheating and catching fire with the dogs trapped in the house.

I used to allow indoor/outdoor access on hot days and let them choose where to lie until I came home and found my very elderly Kelpie fast asleep in the middle of the cement driveway on a 40 degree day :)

At least most people try to keep their pets cool, however I despair for the animals owned by ignorant cruel owners this weather.

I think we are in for a long, hot and horrible summer :D I left the fan on for the dogs yesterday while I was at work, then spent most of the day worrying about it overheating and catching fire with the dogs trapped in the house.

I used to allow indoor/outdoor access on hot days and let them choose where to lie until I came home and found my very elderly Kelpie fast asleep in the middle of the cement driveway on a 40 degree day :)

At least most people try to keep their pets cool, however I despair for the animals owned by ignorant cruel owners this weather.

Some people just really don't get it! I was at a friends (beautiifully airconditioned house) and I was talking about how worried I was about Pete in the weather, had just explained to this person about my house being well about 30 degrees inside and not cooling down overnight etc and after all this she says "Oh I think he'll be fine, look Sandy is fine she just lies around panting all day" (points to her dog who is lying in airconditioned comfort panting away) - really reassuring.

It seems i have been wrong about how dumb my little pug puppy is.It was his first day outside alone yesterday,i frantically raced home,he was snoring his head off on a pillow in the shade,he loved it out there,today i wrapped some frozen water bottles in towelsnear his bed,so hopefully he will curl up with them.He has 3 water bowls full with water and ice toon put his clam shell under it with a bit of water and frozen water bottles,he loves getting in the clam shell,when there is NO water in it :rofl::laugh: .I am also going to soak the grass before i leave for work next week.And,I have a Cooling mat coming for him next week.The little bugger will be more cool and comfortable than me.

Edited by smitty44