Reaction Of Chinese People To My Dog

GSDowner

My dog is well behaved and is always on a leash. He is not interested in people and ignores them. If someone wants to pat him he lets them.

Whenever I walk him Chinese people look at him with fascination, or are terrifed. Those terrified grab their children in fear, others gesture to me to stay away from them (especially those who don't speak English). I acknowledge that some people may be scared, but I feel frustrated that I am expected to go out of my way to avoid them.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GSDowner

My daughter-in-law was very frightened of large dogs. She was born in China.

It isn't very often you see a dog walking around in China which is one of the reasons why. Where Cindy came from, dogs were food (she has never eaten dog since after meeting mine). On my many visits to China I only saw one dog roaming. It was a magnificent specimen of a Chow Chow (I think that's what it was) It was very big, had had puppies and was on a mission to who knows where. Its tongue was the deepest blue.

I took Cindy to see a Rotti one day. I knew the dog and thought that Cindy would be able to see that she doesn't need to fear a big dog. She wasn't comfortable with him and the dog knew it. As Cindy wasn't a dog person she didn't know that she wasn't allowed to stare at the dog. The Rotti barked at her with his deep voice and frightened the living daylights out of Cindy. she is OK with Rotti's now though. My intention was totally shattered.

I had two dogs who you would say were medium height. She eventually interacted with them beautifully after a short time. Then I got an Aussie and her fear came back but not for very long as you cannot but love an Aussie. The only reason was that Gambit was bigger to what she had been used too.

Please don't be upset by the way they react to your dog. It is only because they have not interacted with dogs and your dog being a GSD is a big dog. If your dog was a maltese then they wouldn't be OK with it and their reaction wouldn't be half as bad.

I get my dog to sit and watch or put him in a drop before the Asian people get to me. I use this as part of my dogs training. The children are so funny. They are worried and back up but do want to touch the dog like the other children at say a kindergarden. I get Gambit to drop. After a few days the child will eventually touch the dog then pat it.

Hope this helps

My dog is well behaved and is always on a leash. He is not interested in people and ignores them. If someone wants to pat him he lets them.

Whenever I walk him Chinese people look at him with fascination, or are terrifed. Those terrified grab their children in fear, others gesture to me to stay away from them (especially those who don't speak English). I acknowledge that some people may be scared, but I feel frustrated that I am expected to go out of my way to avoid them.

you get two types of ppl with GSDs, those whose rellies/grandparents/parents owned them when they were kids and they absolutely love them, and can't get enough cuddles

or

those that were bitten by one (or heard stories about being bitten by one)

I don't go too far off the footpath when I move - unless there are kiddies because THEY are so unpredictable! :(

The same happens with me - you have to remember that many people from large Asian cities (china, japan etc) aren't used to seeing big dogs and because of that a lot of them have some fear of dogs.

I took Zero to the million paws walk which in sydney is held at olympic park - there were a bunch of tourists standing outside the gates and wanted to take photos with Zero so I put him in a down stay and allowed them but everytime he would shift his weight or move his head they would jump up and run a few feet away. Eventually they understood that he wouldn't hurt them and stopped but it took some time. Just be patient with people and try to show them that your dog isn't something to be feared.

Dont know havnt noticed with Chinese.

Africans definetly have a problem with dogs, that I have noticed on plenty of occasions. They are either scared of large dogs or just plain dont like them. Ofcourse theres exceptions obviously, especially im sure with people who have been here a good while, and ofcoure it doesnt apply to second generation.

One guy who acted very scared of my dog told me it was because where he was from (cant remember the country) dogs are not pets they are only kept as ferocious guard dogs. Another time 2 guys I was sitting next to said they didnt like dogs because in Camaroon people dont walk dogs on the street and they arnt used to seeing them.

Dogs as pets just aren't part of some cultures and they probably aren't used to being so close to dogs, or having them as part of the "lifestyle" that we're used to.

In the book Mao's Last Dancer, the author writes about going to a bbq at the home of a US politician when he was studying in the US. The family had a dog, and the author writes how he was simply amazed that the dog was allowed to be there at all and hadn't yet been eaten by the family.

That's a bit of a broad and sweeping statement. I've met many Chines people both in parks and at dog school who are doting dog owners and own all sorts of dogs (up to and including GSDs). I've also lived in an Asian city, and while packs of street dogs caused problems and fear, this didn't stop at least some locals from being doting pet owners.

I must say tho that I have noticed the same as Lo Pan, and it is African people who are absolutely terrified of dogs (any dogs, even tiny tiny ones). My observations locally is that this fear is universal amongst Africans.

That being said there are myriads of different ethnicities/cultures that us Aussies just lump in as "African" - so my "local observation" is really just another "broad sweeping statement" as I really have NO idea if our local Africans come from a singular (dog afeared) group.

Try a Great Dane!

We respect those who are scared of our dogs no matter what culture, it's hard for those of us who grew up with dogs to understand what all the fuss is about but some people never had the opportunity to have family dogs. If people want to brave and come say hello we make sure we give them a great experience with Leila, Dante is too much in your face.

The best thing you can do to help people overcome their fear is to have well behaved and well trained dogs, in time they may be brave enough to come and say hello :(

My Asian neighbours, I'm not sure where they are from originally have 2 malteses, although they live out side they interact with them a fair bit and are not scared of our dogs.

Edited by sas

We have a back packers hostel here and I have noticed that a lot of the Asian and Indian back packers are quite unsure around dogs. They seem to be either afraid or facinated. I've always wondered why but never asked... I suppose that not all counties regard dogs as pets and I think that for some cultures it could have to do with religion as well, not sure :(

We also have a family living next door to us of Middle Eastern nationality who have recently imigrated to Australia. I walk past the young girl most days on the way to collect my son from school. At first she was terrified of Kei, she would almost cover when she saw him so I always gave her a wide berth so as not to scare her. I have noticed that over the months her attitude to Kei has gone from absolutely terrified, to unsure, to curious, and now when she sees us she will smile and say hello. She has never touched Kei and I would never ask her to but it's nice to see her walk past him without feeling uncomfortable :mad

They don't understand and they teach that to their kids.

My mum is short and loud Chinese lady and she gets a lot of weird looks when she walks her 4 huge dogs. We even had a german shepherd too growing up.

My grandfather (RIP) grew up in China without any interaction with dogs. However, when he set up his own family in SE Asia his love for dogs became an obsession really. We always had big dogs and grandpa was one of the first few GSD owners in his area. Alan was his heart dog and grandpa would sit with Alan for hours just "chatting" away in Hokkien (Chinese Dialect). :( Dad told me that they had another GSD before Alan and the GSD was stolen one day. Grandpa sent out all his mates to look for the dog and eventually found him. The dog thief refused to return the dog to my grandpa claiming that it was his but grandpa identified the tatoo. So grandpa gathered his strongest mates (and my dad) and they barged into the man's house and beat the guy up for stealing a dog. :eek:. Dad told me that grandpa would do anything to get his dog back because they are all part of our family. Any human babies brought home from the hospital shortly after birth would also be introduced to our guard dogs...carried by doting grandpa :mad

Muslims may be wary of dogs because of religious beliefs. I just keep my dog out of the path of people whom I think are Muslims. Usually they avoid us first.

Many people in this country are scared of large dogs too. :( Not only Chinese people. :D

Those of us who own GSD's and Rotties know only to well what it's like to take your gentle, loving dog anywhere and have some people nearly wet themselves with fear. :eek::eek: All because of what's in some bloody newspaper. :mad

I have the total opposite reaction to my Samoyeds :(

Everyone comes flocking up and taking photos, wanting cuddles and pats. Who could walk past a big white teddy bear? I did get annoyed when an entire bus load of asian tourists poked their arms through the car windows for pats without asking me first, but I guess its better then running in fear, they were just lucky my dogs are friendly.

I have the total opposite reaction to my Samoyeds :mad

Everyone comes flocking up and taking photos, wanting cuddles and pats. Who could walk past a big white teddy bear? I did get annoyed when an entire bus load of asian tourists poked their arms through the car windows for pats without asking me first, but I guess its better then running in fear, they were just lucky my dogs are friendly.

:D :D ;) Charge them a fee next time! A friend of mine owns a samoyed and many of his house guests won the Lotto after playing with his samoyed. Then word got around and he has strangers lurking around trying to give his "lucky" dog a pat or a treat so that they can win some money :eek: I think any animal resembling a bear or lion is considered "lucky". The same with chow chows. :eek: Charge a fee and donate the collection to your dogs having to endure so many pats and cuddles. $10 for a photo $3 for a cuddle. :(

My mum is short and loud Chinese lady and she gets a lot of weird looks when she walks her 4 huge dogs. We even had a german shepherd too growing up.

My grandfather (RIP) grew up in China without any interaction with dogs. However, when he set up his own family in SE Asia his love for dogs became an obsession really. We always had big dogs and grandpa was one of the first few GSD owners in his area. Alan was his heart dog and grandpa would sit with Alan for hours just "chatting" away in Hokkien (Chinese Dialect). :) Dad told me that they had another GSD before Alan and the GSD was stolen one day. Grandpa sent out all his mates to look for the dog and eventually found him. The dog thief refused to return the dog to my grandpa claiming that it was his but grandpa identified the tatoo. So grandpa gathered his strongest mates (and my dad) and they barged into the man's house and beat the guy up for stealing a dog. :(. Dad told me that grandpa would do anything to get his dog back because they are all part of our family. Any human babies brought home from the hospital shortly after birth would also be introduced to our guard dogs...carried by doting grandpa :o

Muslims may be wary of dogs because of religious beliefs. I just keep my dog out of the path of people whom I think are Muslims. Usually they avoid us first.

Your grandfather sounds like a funny guy :rofl:

:love:

My grandfather (RIP) grew up in China without any interaction with dogs. However, when he set up his own family in SE Asia his love for dogs became an obsession really. We always had big dogs and grandpa was one of the first few GSD owners in his area. Alan was his heart dog and grandpa would sit with Alan for hours just "chatting" away in Hokkien (Chinese Dialect). :love: Dad told me that they had another GSD before Alan and the GSD was stolen one day. Grandpa sent out all his mates to look for the dog and eventually found him. The dog thief refused to return the dog to my grandpa claiming that it was his but grandpa identified the tatoo. So grandpa gathered his strongest mates (and my dad) and they barged into the man's house and beat the guy up for stealing a dog. :o. Dad told me that grandpa would do anything to get his dog back because they are all part of our family. Any human babies brought home from the hospital shortly after birth would also be introduced to our guard dogs...carried by doting grandpa :)

Go Grandpa!! That's something my dad will do..

:(

My dad is actually the same... he loves loves dogs, and would do anything to help them!

ehhhh.... bit of a generalization. I'm sure plenty of Caucasian people are scared of big dogs too, and it's hardly surprising if mothers are going to steer young children away from an approaching big breed. Plenty of chinese people have dogs and are fine with dogs - there's always going to be people who are unsure of dogs or whatnot and it's not really fair to single a certain race out for it.